KiteLife Forum

bridle help on an old phantom

matlocc

Hey guys, newbie here. First post. I have flown kites since the mid to late 80's. Got out of it for quite some time and am now getting back into it. I don't have anything new. Some top of the line chevrons, spin offs, phantoms, revolutions and flexifoils. Anyway watching the stuff the guys do now is amazing. Could someone help me in setting up my phantom bridle to do some of these new tricks?

Chuck

I think the Phantom is limited to old-school tricks like 540s & Axels. I haven't seen anyone doing more modern tricks with them. Not that that is a bad thing, I think the old-school tricks are prettier.

The Phantom is still being made by Tim Benson though I'm not sure if it will be the same as yours or an updated version. As rob has said, it is old school - axels, half axels, 540's' lazies etc. If you want to do the modern pitchy wrap tricks you will need to look at something a bit more up to date - still a very nice kite though. If you need to check your current bridle an email to Tim B should get you the info you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39Z_4TJXfg

• Like 1

Well do I need keel weights or nose weights to do some of those moves? How would I adjust the static bridle for that? What type of winds would you try that stuff in? Is it easy to convert to a dynamic bridle? Why won't a phantom do that stuff the new ones do?

Well do I need keel weights or nose weights to do some of those moves? How would I adjust the static bridle for that? What type of winds would you try that stuff in? Is it easy to convert to a dynamic bridle? Why won't a phantom do that stuff the new ones do?

Nose & keel weights are more for pitch tricks, yoyo's flic flacs etc so you shouldn't really need them to do the tricks the Phantom will do.

The standard bridle will probably let you do axels, 540's etc without adjustment - most of Tim's bridles don't have adjustment built into them - if in doubt I'd email Tim.

Best winds for trick flying are roughly 6-12 mph any more and you need to start moving a lot to give the kite enough slack line.

If you really want to try bridle changes read this first -http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/index.html

The Phantom is an old design made for precision flying rather than tricks. Kite design and materials have come a long way since the then - it's the same reason a 90's computer or car won't perform the same as it's modern equivelent.

Enjoy what it does rather than try and make it something it isn't. There are some good online tutorials to show you how to do various tricks, but it needs time and practise - if you can get together with other trick fliers you will pick them up more quickly.

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8791&hilit=benson+phantom