KiteLife Forum

Fields of Tennesee

Scott

There's a great kite flying area out at Shelby Farms in Memphis with a big windmill across a road to let ya know how fast and what direction the wind is blowing. I currently fly at a park in Spring Hill where there's a large field encircled by a walking track. The grass is usually deep though. There's some well mowed fields at a park in Franklin that I fly at often on the corner of boyd mills and 96. There's a playground and these huge rocks there that my kids love playing on. Does anyone in this forum know of any other good places to fly in TN? I have never met any other fliers but it would be great to do so.

You piqued my curiosity. Went to Shelby Farms, Memphis at http://maps.google.com/ to see if I could find the windmill. The satellite maps have definition to rooftop level. I've used maps.google to find several flying sites in San Diego County. So, is the windmill at Mullins Station Rd., Brister St., Show Palace Arena, or the Grove at Shelby Farms?

Plug in "Mira Mesa Recreation Center, 92126" and you'll see the Mira Mesa Community Park where I do a lot of my kite flying. (The little gray circle above the words Mira Mesa Blvd. is the big American flag I use for wind direction.)

kitepilot ;)

The windmill is southwest of mullins station rd. Just go south til you see the four lane road running east to west and go west til you see the intersection and the windmill is on south side of that intersection. The flying field is just across that four lane where the intersection is on the north side. This is where I learned to finally fly a dual line! There's lots of paved walking trails and parks in shelby farms, even a lake where i saw some windsurfers once. There's a sign marking the kite field that actually says, "kite flying area." I miss it but the park near my current home will suffice even with the deep grass.

Fields of Tennesee Kite Club?!? nah! well maybe. I was suprised there wasn't any club in the memphis area when I lived there! I saw many, many people out flying in the spring time at Shelby Farms but never got to meet up with anyone who had a better kite than mine. :-( I'm still stuck with my go fly a kite bandit that has crapy lines and a taped up spar! The lines that came with my parastunter were great upgrades on my bandit but unfortunately they broke!! So now i'm stuck with only one set of (CRAPY)lines for my bandit AND my parastunter! Stinks that I can't afford new line sets let alone a better kite! Anyhoo, the Shelby Farms kite flying area is where i learned to finally control my dual line bandit and i had many great flying times there.

ooo! I had a great experience this morning at the park here in Spring Hill, TN. Asides from the 2 crying 4 yr olds who were ready to go to Mc D's for lunch and keeping up with my 1 yr old, I did something amazing with my bandit for the very first time! I was practicing fliping the kite on it's back but i can never control getting the kite back to normal the way i want, but today i flipped it and it started spinning ever which a way and then did a nice nose forward flipping to nose pointing up several times in a row on it's way down and landing perfectly on it's belly with nose pointed towards me and the lines ended up somehow so that all i had to do was gently tug to roll the kite back up from the ground with nose pointing straight up ready to launch again! I've never done such a thing before and it was pure luck but man did it look sweet!! (And this was still using my crappy lines!)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh darn! :w00t: The cracked spar on my kite that I taped up is COMPLETELY broke now! (thanks to my 4 yr old who was messing with my kite as I was winding up my lines) :devil:

Since there's no local kite shop close by, how do I know exactly what size and make of rod I need if I order a spare one online??