KiteLife Forum

Download tutorial help

I cannot download the tutorials. I am able to get them to play, after going through all the download requirements. But, I cannot figure out how to save them to my iPad or iPhone. I would like to watch them when I am at a location that does not have the internet. I need all the help that I can get. Thank you in advance.

Got itunes?? Download to your laptop or desktop computer, then sync to your pad or screened ipod. They all show up in my itunes library, after downloading!!

PS: not real computer savvy, but I get by!

That works for me too.......... As Wayne described, I downloaded the tutorials to iTunes (on my laptop). Then when I sync'ed my iPod, it added the videos (tutorials), right along with my music ! Voila - "tutorials to go" - on the iPod (I'm using a 5th gen iPod Nano)...... :ani_victory:

I guess my problem is that I don't know how to download to iTunes. I can get them to download to the "download folder" on my laptop. Then, I import (via iTunes/file/add to library) to iTunes. But, only the .mov files will import. The .mkv videos will not import to iTunes.

I don't know why the .mkv videos will not import to iTunes.

Maybe, I am not downloading them into iTunes directly. I don't know how to do that. How does one download directly into iTunes?

Hi Harvey, try this...

Open iTunes.

Open the video folder you downloaded into.

Drag the video files into iTunes.

Or, click "file" in iTunes and look for import or similar, then find and select the files that way.

Let us know how it goes?

Hi John,

Thank you for the help!

I tried what you suggested. Both importing and drag & drop.

iTunes will not import or accept the videos that end with .mkv. It will accept the .mp4 or .mov files.

So I have some of the videos on iTunes but not all.

My internet connection is very slow, so I only did the .mov or .mp4 versions, and they went directly to my itunes library, as well as my download file! If I'd have tried to download the bigger files, I'd still be waiting!! :ani_giveup:

No issues with quality of picture!!

This has been an interesting project. I have learned a lot of stuff. Thank you everyone for your help!

Dropbox is far superior to iTunes.

iTunes is not compatible with all the videos, takes forever and is difficult to sync. And, on the iPad only the beginning photo of the synced video is shown (no title). So, one cannot know which video one is about to watch.

Dropbox is drag and drop from where the video is downloaded into the dropbox folder. Then the video is available wherever dropbox is, on any device. And, it is kept or stored on the device by making the video a favorite. The internet is not required after the video is added to dropbox. Also, no conversion required. And, the titles of the videos are there, so no guesswork on which videos are available.

All in all I prefer dropbox to iTunes.

• Like 2

Yes, I was referring to the Dropbox app for mobile devices.

I would be more than happy to type something up.

I have not use Windows for a long time and I am not familiar with Windows 8. So the write up would need to be either Apple specific or very generic.

Would you like it Apple specific or very generic, and simple?

• Like 2

How to use mobile tutorials with Dropbox.

1. Download and install Dropbox on all devices that you would like to view the tutorials. Dropbox is free.

a. For the computer, go to https://www.dropbox.com/

b. For an iPad or iPhone install from the AppStore.

Dropbox says, “Syncing your files between all of your computers, smartphones, and tablets is what Dropbox is all about. All you have to do is install the Dropbox desktop application and sign in using the same login on all your devices. If you've already installed Dropbox, simply adding files to your Dropbox folder will automatically sync the file to your Dropbox, which means you can open it from any other computer, smartphone, or tablet that also has Dropbox installed.”

2. Download a Kitelife tutorial video using a laptop or desktop. (Press and hold the option key prior to clicking a Mirrors, phone, or tablet download version.) The video file will end up in the download folder.

3. Drag and drop the video file from the download folder to the Dropbox folder. (The Dropbox folder will be in finder.) The video will be moved, not copied, to the Dropbox folder. This will take some time, it depends on the internet speed and size of the file. The Dropbox icon will have a green checkmark when it has completed this task.

4. Open the Dropbox app on your iPhone or iPad. Sign in to Dropbox using the same login on all your devices. The video file will be there. (Provided the device is connected to the internet.) Give it some time if it does not immediately appear. Click on the video file to watch it.

5. If you want to watch the video while not connected to the internet, make the video a favorite. This is done by clicking on the star. It is located at the bottom of the video or by swiping the file to the right.

Dropbox has an excellent help section. On the iPhone, or iPad it is located in settings. On their web site https://www.dropbox.com/, after signing in, it is located on the bottom of the page where the 3 dots are. Clicking on the three dots will pop up a menu where mobile can be selected. That will bring up another page where help can be clicked. Also, instructions for Android, BlackBerry, and Kindle Fire are there.

6. To upload videos to Dropbox within the iPhone or iPad visit this site https://www.dropbox.com/help/4/en (I have not tried this.)

I hope this is helpful. If it is incorrect in any way, please let me know. Or, feel free to edit or change it. I am not associated with Dropbox.

• Like 1

I would like a version on my desktop iMac and also on the iPad to bring along with us.

Can I download the Mirrors version for both devices (using dropbox on the iPad) or do I need to download one version for the iMac (Mirrors) and another for the iPad tablet and keep them in 2 seperate folders?

I have moved a few tutorials over to iTunes on the iMac but nothing to the iPad at this point.................Man, that's a lot of i's in a post!

Thanks, Harveyt!!!

Hi northwavesailor,

If you follow the procedure, you will end up with the Mirrors version on your desktop in the Dropbox folder and on your iPad.

You only need to download the Mirrors version once to your desktop. Then, put that file into Dropbox.

Dropbox will copy it onto your iPad (through the internet), inside of the Dropbox App. You do not need to download it again to your iPad. If you have already downloaded the videos, just copy and past them to the Dropbox folder. The Dropbox folder will be inside the finder.

After it is in your Dropbox iPod app be sure to make it a favorite so you can watch it without the internet.

When you open up your Dropbox on your iPad or desktop it will be there also. So, it will be in both places, available to watch.

I have more you.s than you have I's.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks, harveyt! That will save time trying to download it in both versions!

For some reason, I still can not download about 1/3-1/2 of the tutorials in any version using the iMac. I don't know why some download w/o issue and some just go to 'transferring data from Kite Life' and nothing more. Likely something simple.

I do, however, love having the ones that we were able to successfully download!