KiteLife Forum

Using Dropbox to handle video tutorials

From a member of our forum:

How to use mobile tutorials with Dropbox.

1.  Download and install Dropbox on all devices that you would like to view the tutorials.  Dropbox is free. 

a.  For the computer, go to https://www.dropbox.com/

b.  For an iPad or iPhone install from the AppStore.                                                                           

Dropbox says, “Syncing your files between all of your computers, smartphones, and tablets is what Dropbox is all about. All you have to do is install the Dropbox desktop application and sign in using the same login on all your devices.  If you've already installed Dropbox, simply adding files to your Dropbox folder will automatically sync the file to your Dropbox, which means you can open it from any other computer, smartphone, or tablet that also has Dropbox installed.”

2.  Download a Kitelife tutorial video using a laptop or desktop.  (Press and hold the option key prior to clicking a Mirrors, phone, or tablet download version.)  The video file will end up in the download folder.

3.  Drag and drop the video file from the download folder to the Dropbox folder.  (The Dropbox folder will be in finder.)  The video will be moved, not copied, to the Dropbox folder.  This will take some time, it depends on the internet speed and size of the file.  The Dropbox icon will have a green checkmark when it has completed this task.

4.  Open the Dropbox app on your iPhone or iPad.  Sign in to Dropbox using the same login on all your devices.  The video file will be there. (Provided the device is connected to the internet.) Give it some time if it does not immediately appear.  Click on the video file to watch it.

5.  If you want to watch the video while not connected to the internet, make the video a favorite.  This is done by clicking on the star.  It is located at the bottom of the video or by swiping the file to the right.

Dropbox has an excellent help section.  On the iPhone, or iPad it is located in settings.  On their web site https://www.dropbox.com/, after signing in, it is located on the bottom of the page where the 3 dots are.  Clicking on the three dots will pop up a menu where mobile can be selected.  That will bring up another page where help can be clicked.  Also, instructions for Android, BlackBerry, and Kindle Fire are there.

6.  To upload videos to Dropbox within the iPhone or iPad visit this site https://www.dropbox.com/help/4/en (I have not tried this.) 

I hope this is helpful.  If it is incorrect in any way, please let me know.  Or, feel free to edit or change it.  I am not associated with Dropbox. 

Thanks Harvey, great stuff!

• Like 2

Obviously, you can also use dropbox from an Android phone or Tablet too. Looks even better, with the larger screen on many Android phones. Keep in mind that when you are playing the video from dropbox, on your phone, it has to be downloaded from the cloud where it is stored, so it takes a while. I took videos that I watch often, and just downloaded them to my phones storage, so I can play them immediately without waiting for them to download from the cloud.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that when you are playing the video from dropbox, on your phone, it has to be downloaded from the cloud where it is stored, so it takes a while. I took videos that I watch often, and just downloaded them to my phones storage, so I can play them immediately without waiting for them to download from the cloud.

Make the video a favorite within Dropbox. The video will remain on the phone within Dropbox. It will be available to watch without the internet. Also, you will not have to wait to watch it. It is easy to make a favorite, just click the star.

Keep in mind that when you are playing the video from dropbox, on your phone, it has to be downloaded from the cloud where it is stored, so it takes a while. I took videos that I watch often, and just downloaded them to my phones storage, so I can play them immediately without waiting for them to download from the cloud.

Make the video a favorite within Dropbox. The video will remain on the phone within Dropbox. It will be available to watch without the internet. Also, you will not have to wait to watch it. It is easy to make a favorite, just click the star.

Didn't know that, thanks. Now that I look, I see that JB had mentioned that in his post too.

• Like 1