KiteLife Forum

KITE RETAIL

Scott

Hey, i was thinking there should be a discussion of kite retail on here! Surely there's folks on here that are in the kite retail business. I wanna hear from ya! What's the ups and downs of it? Is it possible to be in the business full time or do most people have other means of income to support the hobby of having a kite retail business? I would love to hear about what it takes to start up a kite shop. I'm not planning on starting my own business or anything. I just want to hear peoples input. Thanks for any post on this subject!

That sounds like a good statement! I can't imagine there would be much profit if at all in the kite business and especially if you don't have a web site. I grew up looking at into the wind catalogs and never got to order anything from them til I was older and had my own money to spend. I remember looking at all those high dollar kites as a kid and wondering who in their right mind would spend over a hundred dollars on kites?! All I ever knew were those cheap plastic deltas at the local retail store! Now that I'm grown I wish I HAD that hundred dollars or more just to spend on em!!

And no I won't be attending any convention. I haven't even got to attend any kite festival or thing of the like period! Now that I'm into kites more than ever, I'm also married with two kids and currently fostering three others! So going any long distance from here to any type of kite event (although i'd love to) is outta the question! :P

Looks like there's a festival in March... Chattanooga.

http://aka.kite.org/cal_dtl.php?event_no=2439

I pulled that off the AKA on line calendar.

Also, you might write your local AKA Regional Director... It's their job to help local fliers.

Region 4 (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Puerto Rico)

Michael L. Agner (NC)

(910) 790-5979

region4 (at) aka.kite.org

Lastly, there are always the local clubs... Some have monthly fun flies.

Music City Kite Flyers

P.O. Box 210765

Nashville TN 37221

Phone: (615) 831-1496

E-mail: MusicCityKites (at) webtv.net

URL: http://community.webtv.net/MusicCityKites

Looks like this club flies at CENTENNIAL PARK on West End Ave.

I hope this helps some. :P

Yeah, IF that club is still around! That web site hasn't been updated in 2 years and I recently tried emailing the site but haven't gotten a reply yet. As far as the Chattanooga festival goes, maybe i can make it by next year but who knows. I think there's some flyers in Alabama less than 2 hrs from here but I haven't checked into it yet. I found a website of a kite shop down that way and it seems to be updated pretty recent but I haven't emailed anyone yet to check into it. Thanks for posting the info though. :P