KiteLife Forum

Best deal on new Revs exp rtf

I think anyone on here would agree that the 1.5 SLE is the best choice for learning since that leading edge is bullet proof from the repeated nose dives you will encounter while learning. The EXP spars won't handle that very well. I own an exp and it feels more of a ballet style kite. Too danty.

My perspective is a little different. The EXP is an excellent first quad primarily due to its low price for a RTF package. As for the SLE leading edge - there is unfortunately a confusion of names in the Revolution kite line. There are SLE kites, which usually have the same standard frame as the EXP (called "3 wrap"), and there are SLE kite frames which have a larger and more robust leading edge. Most fliers, but certainly not all, avoid the SLE frames because they do not have the response necessary for group or competition flying. SLE kites come with either the SLE frame, or the more standard frames.

The EXP standard frame is not marked (or at least was not marked a few years ago - check with the dealer about any questions) but was equivalent to the standard "3 wrap" marked with 3 feathers. There are also lighter frames, "2 wrap" and "race rods", heavier frames "4 wrap", and the extra strong frames "SLE", which are available in the SLE kites and the more advanced B-series (Barresi signature) kites. (Hmm - I've not heard of an SLE frame in a B-series kite before.)

I broke one leading edge rod on my EXP while learning - which cost about $20 to replace. Moving from the EXP with a standard frame to an SLE and later a B series kite was natural because of the common frame sets.

So, my recommendation is to avoid the SLE frame, go for an EXP RTF package, or at a bit higher price range, an SLE (KITE) RTF package with 3-wrap frame. Discuss this with your dealer. If they cannot satisfy your question, then contact any of the dealers that advertise on Kitelife.

Your personal situation is probably different than mine - so take advise with caution.

P.S. Reviewing Windwarrior's posts, I would guess his perspective is from power/traction kiting. He is correct - the EXP and all the 1.5 size Rev kites are basically for "ballet" or "precision" flying. There are other Rev kites that are much better if you want to explore power kiting. However, a 1.5 size Rev with SLE frame is not a good choice for power kiting either. Instead, look into the Supersonics and several other lines of Rev kites with a solid frame, or maybe a soft frame "foil" (I do not have experience with these - except to briefly fly a supersonic. I am WELL over the half-century mark, and do not need to wrestle with a powerfully pulling kite to have my fun. Thus, my experience may not be applicable.) Check out the Revolution Kite forum to see what most other Rev fliers are doing.

Enjoy - you cannot make a bad decision.

• Like 1

My SLE, when purchased about 5 years ago came with both the SLE and the 3-wrap leading edge tubes. I don't know if it is still packaged that way, but it is a great sail to learn on. I did most of my learning on my own, and have spanked the ground until it cried, no broken hardware.

Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate, but personally I have not seen an EXP with broken spars whereas I have seen a broken SLE (yes I mean the fat leading edge spar). I will admit that my data set may be rather small, and the owner of the SLE kite with the broken spar had used it to teach lots of people to fly (he taught me too) and in fairly strong wind, so maybe my comparison is not fair. However, my point is, don't expect the SLE frame to never break. Maybe it's harder to break, but it can still happen.

The EXP standard frame is not marked (or at least was not marked a few years ago - check with the dealer about any questions) but was equivalent to the standard "3 wrap" marked with 3 feathers.

The label on my EXP frame says "EXP" (kite was purchased in 2010). I think there is something else on the label, but cannot remember (maybe "Revolution"?). I identify the frame set by the "EXP" text, but treat it as any other 3 wrap set. It gets swapped into other kites as needed and if it's the most convenient set to grab.

• Like 2

The EXP frame is indeed a 3 wrap frame, just not marked as one! It interchanges with all 1.5 frames - 2, 3, 4 wraps, race, etc! If my info is correct, they no longer package the SLE kite with both leading edges and I'm not sure which! Also the SLE label on the sail may have gone away! Still called an SLE by most though!

For a quad line "trainer" I'm really happy that I bought my 1.7 Flexifoil. It has no frame to break and I have hit the ground far harder than I ever intended to - glad it wasn't my Rev. It's a great trainer for that reason, and a nice arm stretcher if you are feeling that way. Getting used to the quad setup, handles, 4 lines etc all were good experience that translated directly to better flying on the Rev when I went back to it.

I first saw a Rev at the Vancouver BC Kite Festival in June last year. I immediately asked the iQuad team what Rev I should buy as a beginner. Consensus there was that I would outgrow the EXP too quickly and I was better off with the 1.5 SLE. That's what I did and I'm a happy camper with 3 more Revs to suit all different wind conditions and another on order.

I have poor to middling hand eye coordination, so the Flexifoil trainer taking the bumps and slams in the learning curve made me a lot more confident flyer. The fact that it was less than a third of the price of a Rev made it easier too.

My 2 cents to add.

• Like 1

....but personally I have not seen an EXP with broken spars whereas I have seen a broken SLE (yes I mean the fat leading edge spar)...... However, my point is, don't expect the SLE frame to never break. Maybe it's harder to break, but it can still happen.......

A broken SLE, now that's impressive! Fly em till they're rags & sticks is what I say.

I learnt on an EXP and I beat the hell out of that thing. Flew it in vented winds. I got it as a package and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a starter.

You will get the "bug".

You will get more.

You will have a sail for all conditions.

• Like 1