KiteLife Forum

Newbie intro and line winder question

Browser

Hello from the UK. Found this forum whilst looking for kite line winders on the 'net and thought I'd join!

About me: Been kiting since knee high to a sparrows jacksie, courtesy of a friend of my fathers introducing us to the famous (ne infamous) Peter Powell diamond stunt kites. I was peeved to discover recently that they aren't made any longer as they really were a kite for all seasons. They'd fly in any weather (seemingly) they would do stunts and were as easy as breathing to fly so were great to teach beginners on. Maybe I'll have to acquire the production rights and start making them again?

Anyway. now being an adult with a bit more disposable income I am determined to further my love of kites. I try to explain to people what it is I like, the simple childish pleasure gained from watching a single line kite hang on the breeze, the fun of steering a stunt kite around the sky etc and I think they get it, I'm not sure!

Anyway, I now have a Didakites Cody 30, a Brookites sled, a delta of unknown providence which I have yet to fly really successfully and my most recent acquisition, a Premier Kites 11ft Flapping Bat called Eric. Eric was flown for the first time today in a filed near my house and motorists on teh road alongside were pointing and waving as Eric swooped and flapped about!

Enough waffle, to the point. I have a plain tube spool for Eric's line and a Halo winder for the Cody's line. The tube spool is (obviously) only temporary and the Cody's halo winder is starting to come apart. Does anyone know of any plans onthe 'net for making your own winders? I woudl like to make a windlass type for the Cody's line, anyone point me to some plans?

I spotted this which I thought would probably do for Eric, whaddya think? :P:)

The only winder/spool plan I've come across at Kitelife is this one:

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/issue36/quadwinder36/

Not sure if it's adaptable to your needs... I'm sure there are other plans out there though, another good place to ask might be here:

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/index.php

• 1 year later...