KiteLife Forum

Quad line handle and lines for rev II

imranipatel

Forget all the kites, lines and handles coming from China. Cheap knock-offs. The line is dyneema, ok for dual line, not quite so good for quad, binds up more quickly when you twist the lines around each other. Look for Laser Pro Gold. This brand comes with the ready to fly packages from Rev for a very good reason, it works very well. There are other brands that work well, but harder to find. Check by googling "kite store" and look at what all the different shops have.

• Like 1

Well Mark, I don't really agree on that. All depends on what you want to do with it...

For example, I have some "fancy, yet expensive" LPG lines to fly in team... (Otherwise everyone is scared of linecut...)

But when I fly alone, I use some "cheap" line. Which is high quality fishing line (made in the same factory as LPG).

I think you need to be a good flier to notice the difference between good lines. (If they are really poor quality , everyone will notice) and then the question is, if your're really good, you'll manage to fly the kite with almost any kind of line... I often fly with my fishing lines when the LPG boys are grounded because lack of wind, to turbulent wind...

It's more about the skills than the lines...

Concerning the handles, unless you go for no snag handles, these are as good as the standard rev ones...

Phil

Well Mark, I don't really agree on that. All depends on what you want to do with it...

For example, I have some "fancy, yet expensive" LPG lines to fly in team... (Otherwise everyone is scared of linecut...)

But when I fly alone, I use some "cheap" line. Which is high quality fishing line (made in the same factory as LPG).

I think you need to be a good flier to notice the difference between good lines. (If they are really poor quality , everyone will notice) and then the question is, if your're really good, you'll manage to fly the kite with almost any kind of line... I often fly with my fishing lines when the LPG boys are grounded because lack of wind, to turbulent wind...

Concerning the handles, unless you go for no snag handles, these are as good as the standard rev ones...

Phil

Doesn't fishing line stretch more than kite line, which is a bad thing for controlling a Rev?

Yes it does...The braid in the fishing line is totally different and inferior to actual LPG flying line.This is straight from the U.S. distributors mouth.

Your best bet..is to pool the purchase of bulk rolls between friends too cut cost. Or purchase a 333yrd roll and make yourself some varying lengths.

I fly only LPG. I have used Skybond...bbut have not found a reason to vary from LPG as my personal choice. The extra monies are well worth it in the end.

Handles....larger handles will equal into smaller movements at the pilot end. I use 14/15" handles on all size sails...

I also believe that the fishing line has a coating that the kite line doesn't have! And that might be why people don't like the (mixed) line concept! Good spectra based KITE line plays well together, whether Shanti, LPG, or Skybond!

You might want to read about Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene fibers. Spectra & Dyneema are made of this material. Many items have been made of these fibers. I have backpacks made of this material. There are even some excellent tapes made of UHMW polyethylene that can be used in kite repair. Manufacturing variables allow for line to have different applications. Fiber winding, weaving, coatings, thickness, fusing & other techniques change its characteristics & applications. I was surprised at the cost of lines when I first got interested in high performance kites. I had just spent half a week's pay on a nice kite & had to spend nearly as much on lines, a winder & handles. That was in the mid-eighties. Just pick out an expensive set of the ones mentioned above. Start with an average length & weight for the particular kite you buy. That's the ones you'll actually need. The better the connection to the kite the better you will be able to fly.

Looked at the ad just now, no length listed, does not look like much line on the winder.

Phil

Hi, Phillipe.

I have flown on fishing line, coated and not, and on dyneema that I had left over from dual-lines. On LPG i can put 12 twists in one direction before it locks up (15 if the line is new and clean), 8 or 9 with the dyneema, 4 with the fishing line. I agree that any spectra (and even some teflon-coated braided nylon) line can be used, but the performance level, durability and useful life span of lines other than LPG, Skybond and Shanti is dramatically less than impressive.