KiteLife Forum

Terminology for novices

cadcoke5

When a fabric is described as 0.5 oz, I imagine that refers to the weight per some area. What area?

When I am searching for an indoor kite, should the word "indoor" be sufficient? I see some sites describe their kites as 0-wind.

It is not always obvious on a web site selling kites how many lines are used. I think this is because there are few choices for the indoor kites with 4 lines. The only one I have seen for sale online is the Revolution Indoor. Some sites also use the word "Quad line". It may also be that the term "stunt kite" refers to a quad line, but I am not sure. If it does, is an indoor 4-line kite a "stunt kite"?

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Oh good questions. First one I don't know.

About an indoor kite. Indoor kites do better indoor. 0 wind kites usually are super low wind and will also work indoor. Indoors are really meant for indoors. A gust out of no where could damage an indoor kite. Not to say we haven't all flown our indoor kites out side.

Indoor quad really you best option is a rev. If you can find a synergy deca they are the nicest quad I have seen but are no longer made and harder to fly. Indoor rev is usually what people get as it's the only one made at the moment I believe.

A stunt kite can be used of any kite that can be maneuvered really. Quad or dual line, indoor and out. And sport kite and stunt kite I have both heard for different reasons. Rev is often used to describe any quad line kite like chap stick it's a brand but used wrong a lot. It's usually just dual or quad but fighter kites are in there as well and probably take the highest skill.

Fabric weight usually refers to weight per square yard.

Stunt kites can be 2, 3 or 4 line. This refers to the controlability, nut number of lines. You'll see terms like duals and quads.

Anything for indoor would be listed. It should also be clearly identified as 4 line or more likely quad line.

There is a difference between indoor and their Zen SUL (super ultralight) for out door. There is a difference since indoor is actually "no wind."

A reputable kite will have all of the relevant information. A quality used kite sold by someone who knows what they're selling will list this as well. I would be cautious about any kite ad that seems to be missing relevant information unless you know what you're looking for.