KiteLife Forum

Pros cons 15 " vs 13" quad handles

imranipatel

IMHO? I have 13", 14", 15" handles and use them to match the wind conditions for whichever kite I'm flying at that time. 13" are considered "standard", that is, they'll work in just about any situation! 15" is most commonly used in light winds, they give you a little more leverage on things in those conditions. I settled on the in between length to get the best of both worlds. But I also had them custom made for me too! Not something you just ring up your local shop and get off the shelf!

Getting back to different lengths for different sails: In really light winds I like my 15"s with my Zen, but if the winds pick up a bit, then my 13"s are better, again IMHO! The Zen is a totally different animal from any 1.5 sail and wants to be flown very smoothly. the shorter handles give smaller inputs that can smooth out your technique! Too long handles will feel "twitchy" in your hands! But some like that too!!

It all comes down to what you want from your own personal flying experience! You can ask for all the help, ideas, etc, here, but until you put handles in your own hands and get out there and fly, well you won't learn to "feel" what works for YOU! That is the beauty of this Rev thing. Everyone can develop their own style or flavor. What works for me, you may hate. What works for you, I might like! See? It's an individual thing, there is no one perfect setup that works for all, only some guidelines that we can either accept or reject based on what we feel as we fly!

Too many times I see people get lost in stats and numbers, just get out there and fly!! Develop your own unique feel and style! If you see something, try it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Easy enough to switch it all back!

As I said in another thread - There is no substitute for Time on the Lines!!

• Like 4

I think the standards do just fine in decent wind. I flew them soley for my first 2 years.Only recently did I switch and now prefer a 14 or 15" for daily use. Smaller hand movements equate to a larger input at the kite. In the low to no wind category...I could feel comfortable with 17". The larger handle allows for easier 4 line tension in these situations...allowing you to keep the sail pressured.

The longer the handle, the greater the input........ As everyone has indicated, you really need to learn to fly the Rev, before making these kinds of decisions...... :ani_victory:

Don't make this more complicated, than it needs to be............... :ani_whistling:

• Like 1

Simply:

13's little bit of hand movement equals a little bit of kite wing movement.

15's little bit of hand movement equals moderate amount of kite wing movement.

17's same same but a lot of kite wing movement.

• Like 1

Right now, at the beginner level, and I say this with no disrespect, you could not tell the difference between Rev handles and two sticks. The 13" handles or whatever is standard with the kite you purchase will give you more than adequate control in any situation. Try to make your first purchase an "RTF (Ready To Fly)" package, since this will save you a good deal of money as opposed to buying all the components separately. The shorter handles allow you to fly longer with less fatigue. I noticed this in my crazy two-day, 14 hours per festival days (I am usually the first on the field and the last to leave).

Until you develop some skills (automated muscle memory), so that you no longer have to think about how to do any particular move, you will not be able to notice much difference. However, please feel free to ask any questions you may have, because this information that everyone here gives will eventually begin to make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried 15" handles on a SUL 1.5 in very light wind and it did feel twitchy. I switched back to the 13" handles and for me it was much more fluid and smoother. It is probably just what I am used to.

• Like 1

The mass of the handle also plays a role in both comfort and control.

I have 17 inch titanium handles, including a set of 120s and they are lighter in weight than a set of 13 no-snags, empty!

Unless you are without wind u probably wouldn't use such an item frequently.

• Like 1

I would have to say there aren't really pros and cons between the 2 lengths. Just a matter of what feels right, as many above have already said.

13s for me, all conditions, most Revs (indoor/B/speed/Zen). Have 15s, tried 17s... don't like at all, any conditions. Not fond 11s either.

15s only unless I'm flying OPK in which case if you have 15s in your bag that you're not using, I'll use em for ya!

Less input, more gooder results......

when one flys with a lot of down and drive with ones bottom fingers, only using the tips to do so, the benefits of longer handles make themselves abundantly clear.

Subjectivity reigns...........so do slack lines!!!!!!!

• Like 3

15s only unless I'm flying OPK in which case if you have 15s in your bag that you're not using, I'll use em for ya!

when one flys with a lot of down and drive with ones bottom fingers, only using the tips to do so, the benefits of longer handles make themselves abundantly clear.

hey there "doctor flailer" (RC)

we miss you up north!,.... Smithsonian Folklife Festival in June, WSIKF in August, Sunfest in Sept, Nat'ls,..... you going to make any of these activities sir? It is so quiet on the line without you, it's barely any fun at all

-plm

• Like 2

hey there "doctor flailer" (RC)

we miss you up north!,.... Smithsonian Folklife Festival in June, WSIKF in August, Sunfest in Sept, Nat'ls,..... you going to make any of these activities sir? It is so quiet on the line without you, it's barely any fun at all

-plm

when is smithsonian? Yes to Wsikf, Yes to Sunfest......and I have soooooo much to say! Miss my Pauls!

• Like 1

June 28, downtown activities w/Chinese guests and their musical kites,.... On the mall by 12th street. We get our own field, usual perks except for parking. First time w/Folklife fest so no expectations except you as a guest with us. Dugard & bride are both in!

My beef with handles over 13" is primarily that it becomes too easy to go "full forward" (i.e. total release of the trailing edge).

I use 13" handles exclusively (on all Rev models) because I find they provide the amount of torque I need, without any additional that might cause over-sheeting... Also, longer handles do require more manual torque to manipulate in high winds (length/leverage).

That being said, it's all a taste thing... Try it all, would be boring if we were all the same! :)

• Like 3