KiteLife Forum

First kite repair on my Zephyr.

Captainbob

I was experimenting with my new prism Zephyr yesterday, trying to play with the tuning for low wind flight. I started looking at the kite really carefully, and noticed that on the leading edge, if I flexed the edge back and forth, on one side, where the ferrule should be located, I heard a slight noise. It was not very loud, but something like cellphone crinkling softly. This morning I decided to bite the bullet, and take that edge apart and see what was going on. I had never pulled a kite apart like that, so was very careful and took my time. I got the lower edge out, and it looked perfect. Next, to get the upper edge out, which was easier than I thought it would be. When I got it out far enough to look at the end, I thought to myself, that's weird , there doesn't seem to be a ferrule there at all. :cat_shy: Now keep in mind, I put this kite together, weeks ago, and have never folded the LE, so this has been from the day one.

I tried butting one edge against the other, thinking my eyes were playing tricks, but they were the exact same size. I couldn't see a ferrule at all. I then got a wire coat hanger, straightened it out, and inserted it in the leading edge, and pushed, and before I knew it, the ferrule popped out the other end. It was just floating around inside the LE. I got some good CA glue, put it on the ferrule, and glued it in place. Let it dry , reassembled it, and it's done. I don't know how long I was flying it like this, or if it had just happened, but I will be checking those leading edges frequently from now on. By the way, the glue on the ferrule was spotty at best, which is probably why it came loose in the first place.

You are lucky you caught that before it cracked your Lower Leading Edge. Another nasty thing about the 'loose ferule syndrome' is that when it does fail, you usually get a nasty hole in your Leading Edge pocket.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had this exact same think happen with the lower spreader of my Hypnotist. I went to assemble it and only 1/4" of the ferule was sticking out. I thought I had broken it off because it was flush with where it should have come through the center-T. So I bought 2 new lower male spreaders (one for a spare). When I went to put it together it happened on the new one. So I checked the old one, and pulled on the 1/4" sticking out, and voila, the entire ferule was still there. So now I have three lower male spreaders. Need some good glue.

I had this exact same think happen with the lower spreader of my Hypnotist. I went to assemble it and only 1/4" of the ferule was sticking out. I thought I had broken it off because it was flush with where it should have come through the center-T. So I bought 2 new lower male spreaders (one for a spare). When I went to put it together it happened on the new one. So I checked the old one, and pulled on the 1/4" sticking out, and voila, the entire ferule was still there. So now I have three lower male spreaders. Need some good glue.

I used CA glue, but in retrospect, a good 5 minute epoxy would probably be a better solution. Just be careful if you use epoxy not to put too much on so it builds up on the end of the rod you are putting the ferrule into, otherwise you won't be able to get the 2 sections of the rod to mate together properly. Some masking tape around the ferrule at the joint where you want the glue to start, will prevent that. Once the epoxy dries, pull the masking tape off.

• Like 1