KiteLife Forum

So recently I aquired a set of Shanti Skybond 100'x100# quads.

I told myself in the beginning...I would fly both major makers and form my own views on what I liked. So no better time than now!

I have flown a full year or so with LPG, different weights and lengths..so time for a change. I have about 50 hours or so on this Skybond set. I have to say that I am liking them. After flying opk with Skybond lines, my interest peaked even more... good timing as I am in need of all lenghts and weights again.

My initial thoughts were super slippery. The coating used is great so far. A little color fade...but the set has been in the ocean completely for many hours...I swim and fly or float and fly. .hit sandbars...etc... I hope in the long term...this coating holds up, I dig it. Almost has waterproof properties when wet...sheds water very quick. On the plus side....no clumped up sandy lines when winding up :)

Smaller diameter line compared to Lpg..which equated to less drag and a more direct feeling between me and the kite...almost like running a lighter weight line.

I am tickled "yellow" so far and looking for the long term picture as I begin the switch.....

I only have 1 gripe with LPG in the end...longevity. I have been wearing out sets at alarming rates...even with regular rotation.up and down..and switching ends. So we will see what transpires from a change this year...

What do you fly and why? If you fly Skybond already.... what's your comparison to LPG?

• Like 2

I'm in a test to see how the set of Skybond 120's feel and so far have no negatives to complain of! Wound them up dirty, wet, then ran them out the very next day for more use! Flown everything from my Zen to my xtra vent, and all in between, over the last weekend, accumulating close to 30 hours of flight time.

I also am looking to see how long they last compared to the LPG sets I've flown before!

Decision still being formed, but so far, so good!!

• Like 2

Wearing out LPG might have to do with beach flying.. my 120s are 2.5 years old now, and still look fairly new. I have been to the beach only twice on these lines, oh and Antelope Island twice. Anyways nice to hear more positive feedback about SkyBond.

Does it perform well when used in team situations mixed with LPG?

• Like 1

Yep, I was the only member of the 4 pak we formed, that was using them! Felt no issues with either team or duo,(everyone else was on LPG), and certainly not solo! Plus many times we just had pickup teams of 3 to 8 and I was the only SB user among them! With my "style" of flying, I didn't feel any negatives that just strike me as being a put off!

We do a good amount of beach flying, washing sets out after use, to rid them of sand! It will be interesting to see how these hold up with time. My LPG sets last about a year and a half, so let's see how these do!

• Like 1

I normally don't care for my stuff very often. I do admit occasionally washing things down with the hose...but nothing more. It just gets used to much.

90% of my flying is on the beach these days. I agree 100% that it's a harsh environment for the lines , kites, and rods more than you would think...

I find the Skybond better for quad line flying than duals. You can feel the springiness in the yellow lines when you're flying a dual, due to sharper inputs. My last set of Laser Pro lasted a few years, but it was really fuzzy and not too slippery when I retired them. Never had a break with Laser Pro, and the Skybonds broke within a few flights of new. Well, they were 120s when they were new, now they're 75's. Maybe the 90# line was a little light for a big kite like the Solus, but that's what was recommended by the shop that I bought both from.

• Like 1

I use SB 100' 50# on my B2 std in 18-25 mph winds with higher gusts into 30mph last Wednesday. I thought the 90# LPG was weighing the little kite down the day before in slightly lighter winds. With 14" handles I was able to control all that speed with very nice precision. It's almost as fast as the Supersonic but with a 1/4 of the pull.

I had little scrunchies at the end of each line where the line slipped thru the knots in the sleeving.

That day was the most fun I ever had on a quad.

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181427391975?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got the handles on ebay to use on a stack with 175# Skybond line. I haven't made those linesets yet. They just happened to be on the 100' 50# lines, I don't know why. The handles are 2.25" longer than the 13" no snag handles. I guess I should call them 15" handles.

The linesets I made myself. I use better knots now ;)

I use SB 100' 50# on my B2 std in 18-25 mph winds with higher gusts into 30mph last Wednesday. I thought the 90# LPG was weighing the little kite down the day before in slightly lighter winds. With 14" handles I was able to control all that speed with very nice precision. It's almost as fast as the Supersonic but with a 1/4 of the pull.

I had little scrunchies at the end of each line where the line slipped thru the knots in the sleeving.

That day was the most fun I ever had on a quad.

18-25 with gusts to 30mph all on a B2 Std! I like your style.... Use a 30 foot set and we could have a regular light sabre fight!

Back to the topic. I'm looking to get a coloured line set for night street flying as the LPG white just disappears under certain street lights. I find around 6000K is the worst. A yellow would jump out at that colour.

• Like 2

The color is the part, that gets my interest up, concerning Skybond. I have a terrible time seeing the "white" LPG lines, both on the beach sand, as well as inland. I still have a few sets of Berry Blue es/55 (light blue), and one of the older Berry Blue (darker blue) sets, AND, with all of the LPG sets that I have now, it seems that I always go for the older BB sets, just for the color and the added visibility. I bet that yellow Skybond would be just great............ I've got to try some, the next time I need lines, and then I can see it coming. I'll be changing out everything to Skybond yellow.

Glad to hear all the positive reviews !

(sorry JB, I know you don't approve of BB, but I'm flying alone, 99% of the time, so no problems here) :ani_victory:

• Like 1

I had a set of Power Pro Super 8 Slick, spectra fishing line that was blue and I loved it. And it played well with others, wrapping lines with lpg no problem.

That line is made by the makers of LPG!! I had some from a fishing store in leader material for flyfishing!! Use it for my gliders!

Cool! I didnt know that Wayne. No wonder I liked it. What I find interesting is it's about a third of the price of actual LPG. Ripping off the kite flyers.

I believe the fishing line is 6-braid and the LPG kite line is an 8-braid. The fishing line binds up at 4-6 wraps, depending on the lb.-test, the thinner the line the sooner it begins binding. I have tried about four of five different manufacturers' spectra fishing lines including the people's who make LPG, and that one is the best of the bunch. The LPG kite line is superior to all of them, both in performance and longevity, and well worth the extra cost. For short-line, 40-ft and less the fishing lines are ok and I still use one set that I made.

The 8-braid line has a much smoother surface because of the two extra strands and it has a different weave pattern to make it so. It is also thicker for the same strength which makes it a little stiffer and easier to handle. Never tried the fishing line in group flying, didn't want to take the chance of cutting someone's LPG.

• Like 2

You hit the head. ....it takes more gross raw product to make kite line.The way the 2 lines are made to react, lifespan, etc...is all different. I believe the weave is actually different also....but don't hold me to that one.

I have never flown any of the fishing line.. .so I can't comment on that end...started with LPG...now playing on Skybond.

My concerns would be others also. ..main reason why I don't use it and started making lines for others.

Anyone find a source for Skybond bulk? I can buy at my LKS but they measure it by foot and the price is high. I make my own lines and would like bulk line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone find a source for Skybond bulk? I can buy at my LKS but they measure it by foot and the price is high. I make my own lines and would like bulk line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've purchased 50# and 100# in 1000' lengths from Tom at Highline Kites in Berkeley. Those two cost me about $100 to a $110 each. Not sure. I made linesets from 30' to 120' with those weights. I recently purchased 1250' of 175# SB to make some linesets for the Supersonic and the Blast. $158 + tax.

1250' will make a 75' 100' and 120' quad set with a little extra for the leaders. You can order any length you want.

Info@Highlinekites.com

Office 510-235-5483 10am to 5pm pacific time

Cell 510-610-KITE or 5483

I've purchased 50# and 100# in 1000' lengths from Tom at Highline Kites in Berkeley. Those two cost me about $100 to a $110. Not sure. I made linesets from 30' to 120' with those weights. I recently purchased 1250' of 175# SB to make some linesets for the Supersonic and the Blast. $158 + tax.

1250' will make a 75' 100' and 120' quad set with a little extra for the leaders. You can order any length you want.

Info@Highlinekites.com

Office 510-235-5483 10am to 5pm pacific time

Cell 510-610-KITE or 5483

I can't seem to find any bulk line, of any kind, at High Line Kites, only ready made sets ? Got a link to the page with bulk line ?

I'm not sure there is a link on his website. That's why I included the phone numbers. It might be easier to order custom lengths over the phone. I usually call with my order, and he lets me know when it is in, and I pick it up when I'm near his area.

Ordering any length you want keeps the waste to a minimum. Less $ spent.

Cath or Elliot at http://www.flyingsmileskites.com would be more than happy in helping you. ;) Also the maker of the line can provide it http://www.shantikites.com

I have found alot of shops have bulk line and alot more available items than what is listed online. Sometimes the best bet....is just too call and ask.