KiteLife Forum

Great wind in Atlanta Today for Revs

Captainbob

Had a great day at the field. Wind was around 12-14 mph average and I flew my mid-vent B for about 4 hours straight, which was a first. What a difference when you have reliable wind strength and direction, you can learn 50 times faster, than when you are dealing with winds dying out, or changing direction every 20 seconds.

A Rev newbie that I met on another forum, came down today, and I helped him get his 1.5 SLE tuned and launched. He only had 2 wraps in it, so I was a bit worried, but it held together. I suggested that he bring the 3 wraps with him all the time. He also had 50# lines to start, and I told him to switch to 90# which he had, even before launching. Anyway, was nice to see another kite flier at the field, and especially a Rev flier. My B mid Rev was spectacular today, loved flying it in a good wind. Smooth!!!!!!!

post-8031-0-65654700-1404585105_thumb.jp

• Like 3

2 wraps are shorthand for the wall of the carbon fiber rods in the leading edge and uprights. The 2 wraps are 2 wraps of carbon fiber. There are also three wraps, four wraps and later generation variations like diamond rods, race rods and green race rods. 2 wraps are for light wind flying and have considerable flex in them, but will break quite easily in the wrong conditions or with a sudden gust of wind.

http://www.revkites.com/kite-product/revolution-spars-rods

I am so happy to hear of someone who got out with good wind today. I am seriously jonesin' for a good flying session, it's not even funny ! Not to mention meeting up with another flyer.... good on you, Bob !

• Like 1

12 -14 mph on my wind meter would have me putting the vented away and reaching for the extra vent. I'm wondering how accurate my wind meter really is.

Where I live, inland Atlanta, the ground level wind is typically 1/2 to 1/3 the wind strength once you climb out of the ground effect. So a wind at 20-30 feet could be 12-15 mph while the ground level wind is 5-7 mph or less. That is what makes it difficult to select what to fly, because you have to factor in winds required to launch, and what wind strength will you see at 40 feet in a gust. 95% of the time, I couldn't get a full vent kite off the ground.

12 -14 mph on my wind meter would have me putting the vented away and reaching for the extra vent. I'm wondering how accurate my wind meter really is.

Just a number! If it "feels" right to change, then by all means do so! What you fly isn't anywhere near as fun as flying itself!

• Like 1

I will be visiting Atlanta 'round the 7-10th of November to see my son and witness his students testing. The event is a convention hotel (Marriott/atlanta?), the school he instructs is in the suburbs, Dacula.

I will be looking to fly revs as soon as Benjamin gets done with breakfast sunday!

Where should we locate ourselves?

(lessons team, pairs, solo 120s)

I will be visiting Atlanta 'round the 7-10th of November to see my son and witness his students testing. The event is a convention hotel (Marriott/atlanta?), the school he instructs is in the suburbs, Dacula.

I will be looking to fly revs as soon as Benjamin gets done with breakfast sunday!

Where should we locate ourselves?

(lessons team, pairs, solo 120s)

Dacula is about 40 miles from downtown Atlanta, out I-85 and 316. Travel time from Atlanta to Dacula varies with the time of day, but during rush hour could be over an hour and a half each way, or more. In the evening, or weekends, less than an hour. The closest field where you can fly near Dacula is Scott Hudgens Park which is about 20 miles from Dacula, and a 30 minute drive. The Park has a series of soccer fields, probably about 10 or more, and on the weekend, could have many soccer games going on there, so not sure if it is flyable. During the week, it is empty.

Georgia Perimeter College in Decatur, right off I-285 and Flat Shoals Road. Empty on the weekend, and that is where I fly during that time. About 25 minutes from downtown, out I-20. The last place, would be the Meadow in Piedmont Park, which is right in downtown Atlanta, but can get crowded on the weekend depending if there are any events in the park at the time. On Sunday, usually Piedmont Park is not that busy, you can look that up on the park activity schedule in advance.

All these places are listed on the AKA website ( favorite flying fields for Georgia )

Had another banner day today Started flying at 10 AM, and the wind at round level was between 6-8 and increasing. I had the 1.5 Std with the Race frame and Magic sticks, and it flew perfectly, even when the wind at altitude grew stronger and a bit gusty. After about 3 hours, it got real dark, and started hailing, with small hail. I quickly landed, threw the kite in my car, in one piece, and rolled up the lines. Drove home, had lunch, and went to the field next to my home, and the wind was about the same. Took the kite out of the car, flew another hour and a half, and decided I was bushed, especially with the heat index around 91 F. I worked on a bunch of stuff today, much of which consisted of spins without losing altitude, spins close to the ground, tip landings, dive stops, and glides. Hoping for the exact same wind conditions tomorrow. :ani_yahoo::ani_yahoo:

Oh, one thing I started doing this week on the Revs, when I break the kite down, I grab the ferrules on either side of the center LE and give a good tug or two, to make sure the glue is solid, and the ferrule isn't loose. Only takes a second, and I think it is a good thing to check.

• Like 1