KiteLife Forum

Lines for stunt kite

KiteIsAlive

http://www.kite-line.com/kiteboarding/accessories/kite-lines/sensei-200-lbs-trainer-kite-lines-20m

http://shop.prismkites.com/index.php/flying-lines/dual-line-standard-spectra/spectra-flying-lines.html

Hi All,

This is my first post.

I have a stunt kite. One line became longer then the other so I made a knot with a little loop on the side. When the wind picked up above 30 mph, flying became real fun, but the line broke where the nut was. It looks like it is not possible to fix a line and restore its original strength so I am trying to shoos a line that would be same length as original lines. My choses are

Spectra lines from Prism 90# by 65ft

Sensei 200lb 20m

Which one is better? What are the other choices?

Thank you very much

Hi there,

What kite do you have - how big is it?

The Sensei lines look like Power kite or kite surfing lines - 200lb is pretty strong and heavy.

Most stunt kite fliers probably use lines between 90lb and 150 lb @ 25-30 meters long. 30mph is a lot of wind for any kite so if you are going to fly in that regularly then you really want something around 150lb depending on your kite. Prism lines are fine but there are other options depending on how much you want to pay.

If your lines stretch you adjust them by untieing the sleeved loop on the long line and slide it up the line a little and re tie. If you tie a loop in the main flying line it creates a weak spot which is why your line probably snapped.

I don't recommend Prism lines. I have had more problems with them breaking. To be honest I think they use the cheapest quality line out there. I actually use 300 pound line on my stunt kite and sometimes I fear that isn't enough. I fly it in some really strong wind. From what I have read on this forum Laser Pro Gold is what you want to get, but I bet there is some that is even better than that.

Were your lines sleeved? My foil kite came with 150# unsleeved lines. I used the loop on a loop to help separate the lines after flying. In the really strong winds, the 2nd loop would slip out requiring me to cut and retie the lines. Sleeves cured that. If your lines are breaking at the knot and you don't have sleeves, you might want to check into it.

All good advice!!

It really is an art to learn about matching lines and kites to different conditions! Kites designed for high winds won't fly in the light stuff, and in reverse, if you have a light wind kite, it would probably fold up in any bigger winds!

Don't know what you fly now, or how many you have, but eventually if you stick with flying, you'll have several kites and line sets and be better armed to cope with conditions on any given day!!

All very good input. It is true you will end up with several set of lines. Not just different strengths, but also different lengths. As to you putting a knot in the line. A knot will reduce the strength by 50%. Sleeving a line is not a hard thing to do. Another option for line choice is “Power Pro super 8 slick” fishing line. I fly 80 LB on a lot of my kites. Have never had any problems with it. It's braided, light weight and cheaper then regular kite line, plus you can get it in different colors depending on where you are flying beach, grass.

Wow! Great Replies, Great Forum! Thank you all !

It seems that consensus is that I have to learn to sleeve my lines. I am googling that topic now.

Hadge - I have Prism Jazz. It is not very big, but kind of heavy(I think). It flies ok around 10mph but over 20mph it really comes alive! What are the options you mentioned? (Sensei is $30, couldn't be much more then that. right?)

Chonkyfire - I am looking at Laser Pro Gold 150# 75ft $50. Did you have in mind other options?

Misha - What is a good light wind kite? ( I do not always have 25 mph here :) )

Thanks all again for great answers!

There are very many dual-line stunt kites that will fly in 5mph wind or less. They are made for that purpose. Anything that is described as UL or SUL (Ultra Light or Super Ultra Light) is in that wind range. If you ask 12 people which is best you will get 10 or more different answers. Read the makers' recommendations and make your choice based on your local wind conditions.

All the dual-line stunt deltas I have had were flown on 90# line or less, sometimes in wind gusting to 35 mph with only one line breakage. If you have many days of 25+ mph wind, then 150# line should be the line to fly. If the line breaks somewhere in the middle, it can be tied together using a fisherman's "blood knot" -- Google it -- the other line will have to be shortened to the new length of the line that broke. If you learn other knots used by fishermen, you will find many useful for kite flying as well as other applications. You can tie loops in the ends of your spectra line by using two figure-of-eight knots. These will reduce the breaking strength of the line by 15 to 20 percent, depending on how neatly you tie them, but the figure8 knots almost entirely reduce line slippage. I don't replace the sleeving if it wears out on ready-made lines, and never sleeve the lines that I make. I have no problems with breakage or "creep" (slipping) even in spectra line. To adjust and equalize lines I simply tie another knot, or more, in the loop on the line(s) that are longer. These are what I do, but if you ask others you will get different solutions. Your best choice is to try a few things others suggest and use the one that works for you. I prefer to use whatever is the fastest in the field and dependable.

You may even discover solutions that you can share with the rest of us! All kiters always help each other with practical options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This a follow-up to my original post.

The reason for Prism line breakage was a nut. What happened is that after I ought a Prism Jazz, I flew it a couple of times and put a way. A year or so later, when I took out my Jazz, to my surprise, one line was 10 inch longer than the other one. (I must have stretched one line more then the other?). I solved it by a loop with overhead nut. The line held fine with 15mph. However with 25 mph it snapped where the nut was. My sleeve loop became detached from a line. I moved the sleeve from the detached peace of line onto the main line end. I do not have any sleeving tools so here is how I did it:

1 - I took my detached peace of line with a sleeved loop.

2 – Untied the nuts,

3 – made a small loop with help of super glue ( I figures nut would not go inside the sleeve) and with that loop pooled the main line into the sleeve Dacron.

For the other line I only had to move the sleeve a bit to adjust the length. Now that I think about, if it was not for my nut, the prism line would not break with wind over 30mph as it rated at 80 lb. The kite would probably fold before the line would give in. Feverless I overreacted and ordered a Sensai trainer line rated at 200 lbs. I guess I will use them when I get a trainer Kite 

• 11 months later...

Hi, John, and welcome to the forum. Everything you want to know about kites you will find here from friendly people who love to help.

OK, figure-of-eight knot you can Google and should have no problem finding it. The loop at each end of each line should look like this:

<=======================oo===oo=--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=oo===oo=====================>

loop figure eight knots line figure eight knots loop

The knots are spaced about 1/2 to 1 inch apart, and the loop can be whatever you prefer. I like mine from 5 - 8 inches. You can also put a knot at the end of the loop so there is something there to grab when you are undoing the larkshead knot (Google this one too) used to attach your line to the bridle on the kite and to the handles.

<oo=====================oo===oo=----------------------------------------

I hope this helps. You can also use the search function at the upper right of the forum page. There are topics on this forum with more info and pictures.

• Like 1

None of us tie the lines directly to the pigtails. We use the larkshead knot to attach our lines to the pigtails. You form a loop, 4 - 8" long by using the figure 8 knots to close it. Makes taking the lines off and on so much easier. If you have sleeving, then simple overhand knots will work to form the loop.

• 4 weeks later...