KiteLife Forum

So I got the new camera. GoPro 3+ black and immediately made a rig from the packaging that night. The following day I met a friend who is a hard core kap fan (kapnut) in historic St.Augustine,Florida for some fun. He was nice enough to provide me with a loaner kite..a Fled. As we all know, I felt naked and 3 lines short :P

What great fun! I pushed about 400' of line out and my new camera floating in the 300' range at one location (cross is 280' high)and walked the sea wall next to a historic fort Castillo de San Marcos and down the road along the sea wall with water on one side and traffic on the other.. Close to 600 pics total on a 5 second time lapse. The highest I have ever flown a slk...much less kite and camera.

Most of the pics are fairly large and haven't had the chance to reduce the size. So here are a couple for a start. Unfortunately, these had to be cropped to fit the size requirment and keep the detail. post-7551-0-44283300-1405314304_thumb.jppost-7551-0-04709100-1405314283_thumb.jppost-7551-0-51224100-1405315164_thumb.jppost-7551-0-25419000-1405315865_thumb.jppost-7551-0-59624400-1405316740_thumb.jp

• Like 6

It's fun. It's a stationary rig so it requires a little effort. Pretty fun to run and pull making the kite rise and fall for height adjustments. I got a few shots were the line runs between buildings and you cant see me...as if the kite was tied to a door knob or something. I attemted to walk 1st st. North through Jax Beach, but an officer had other ideas...so I jumped out for a block..then back on the beach. Sort of a stair step pattern , in and out. :)

Time just disappeared. Before I knew it ...4 hours were gone.

I rode way to high on this run. The Gopro takes such a big shot..still learning were the camera needs to be.

By the way, the 3rd shot on the bottom is my night fly spot from so many photos ;)

I am looking to get into kap soon and would like opinions, ...is a go-pro the right choice for a camera?

Is there a cheap alternative point and shoot that will perform adequately either timed or remote?

Thanks...great pics by the way

Bill

Whatever you can afford works. I used a Cannon point and shoot...under $100.. for awhile. Goapro does some neat stuff, light, durable, WATER AND SAND PROOF in the right case. It's not everyones choice. I got mine for free, so no complaining here!

Time lapse or remote will be invaluable. I don't use the remote that much on th GP yet, but can see the benefits of it and the app for mobile devices. It eats a battery up quick with wifi and everything active. I turn everything off and run time lapse. Put it up and forget about it.

Everywhere :) People here have issues though. I would like to ride lower..but then they see the camera and flip out. Just didn't want to deal with that today...

Don't get me wrong, some love it and want to talk, wave, etc... but from my few travels kiting. Jax isn't the friendliest place :( I have had the police called on me for taking a selfie at the beach with my cell....loooooong story. Any other time... I will gladly engage with my rights as an American and clearly state "public grounds" and that it's a "hobby" not for commercial use and maybe they should have stayed in their house and not walk outside..I am sure a satellite is taking your picture at this very moment "do you know who to call and give them grief also?" :P

Low light probably caused the shutter to be open longer, causing a little blur. The second & third shots are pretty good, considering. Nice... going swimming & Reving at the same time. All while KAPing after sunset. There's a lot going on there, a lot of fun, it looks like ! Party on...

• Like 1

I find in certain situations the gopro does that...so far. Blurring the outer edges and focusing on a certain dominant point.

But also having some rig issues. It is just super light and any line movement gets it wiggling. 1 run will be 500 pics of super clear...the next all blurred. ot is so light though, if the kite will fly, the rig is going up.

Still having fun either way ;) Working on building one now that is a little beefier and should hang and ride more stable in a larger window of conditions.