KiteLife Forum

A little light wind flying after work...

RobB

It's been a l-o-n-g time since we've seen decent SUL wind, so I couldn't resist the opportunity the other day. It was really hot, and the wind was less than 1 mph, but it was solid. I really would've been better off flying the ProDancer SUL, but I wanted to do some trick flying... Being that it's been months since I've flown a duallie in good wind, I was a little rusty, but in this wind the biggest trick is just getting the kite off the ground.

The Sea Devil (Angel) SUL is the lightest flying trick kite I have, so up it went !

The video is a little long, I didn't cut much, as I only had 1/2 hour to fly in total. If you have 10 minutes, full screen it & hit the HD button. Thanks for watching...

• Like 4

Very interesting. You got some exercise for sure. Would it have remained airborne without your body motivation?

Bill... without moving, the kite would've just barely flown. There are parts in the video that I remained still, and you can see the kite is flying, although pretty slowly. Most of the movement is to get the kite to fly faster, or recover from the stalls while tricking.

• Like 1

Bill... without moving, the kite would've just barely flown. There are parts in the video that I remained still, and you can see the kite is flying, although pretty slowly. Most of the movement is to get the kite to fly faster, or recover from the stalls while tricking.

I appreciate that. Gives me an idea of what to expect in flying under very low wind conditions.

Bill

Dual line flying is completely different than quad. Lots more walking and moving to gain wind or perform tricks. Although when there's no wind, there's no wind. Everyone walks.

I wouldn't have even thought about getting out one of my quad line kites in this kind of wind. I love flying in light wind, and wish I had a quad that could.

Dual line flying is completely different than quad. Lots more walking and moving to gain wind or perform tricks. Although when there's no wind, there's no wind. Everyone walks.

I wouldn't have even thought about getting out one of my quad line kites in this kind of wind. I love flying in light wind, and wish I had a quad that could.

A Std Rev or SUL will fly in that with some work. Still have to have a suitable frame. Diamond or Black Race would work. Great exercise... Low wind is low wind. Hell, in 1mph of smooth wind I'd fly my Indoor Rev as well!

A Std Rev or SUL will fly in that with some work. Still have to have a suitable frame. Diamond or Black Race would work. Great exercise... Low wind is low wind. Hell, in 1mph of smooth wind I'd fly my Indoor Rev as well!

I have tried to fly my full sail with race rods in winds like that... didn't really work out too well. I guess I just like to stand in one place when flying Revs...

I am trying to decide if a 1.5 SUL or Zen would be the better choice, because I do like to fly in light wind.

Rev don't make the 1.5SUL any more so you may have to look for "remaining stock". Or get a B Pro made to SUL. Some of the SUL's out there have only a lighter LE pocket and the Spectre bridle and the sail is just normal Icarex.

A printed, one piece sail could be an alternative. They fly L O W and still have the 1.5 characteristics.

I got a Diamond frame, magic sticks and a French bridle for my SUL as a Zen is still a way off for me. Too many duallies to get...

Well, if you're looking for an SUL duallie that tricks, I'd recommend the Sea Devil SUL. If you want a more radical SUL, the Fearless SUL is a good choice.

I have a number of SUL duallies, and I'll never let these two go...

P1090153.JPG

• Like 4

Well, the Fearless is radical like the Gemini, can't help but to trick it when you fly it. It's really a trick to fly kites like that straight. I don't know if the Benson ULs fly in as little winds as Lam's kites, but Bensons are a good choice, too.

Well, if you're looking for an SUL duallie that tricks, I'd recommend the Sea Devil SUL. If you want a more radical SUL, the Fearless SUL is a good choice.

I have a number of SUL duallies, and I'll never let these two go...

If you wear them out, need to replace them & didn't want to keep them for sentimental reasons, I could nurse them back to life in my little basement kite shop...just a thought....

Nope, these kites are wall - art if I even wear them out. I don't think that will happen, though. They're well made, and the Fearless doesn't show much wear after 5 years of flying it. Both were birthday presents from my family, so they have considerable sentimental value, as well. But, I am happy to let others fly them that I meet on the beach...

• Like 3

Nope, these kites are wall - art if I even wear them out. I don't think that will happen, though. They're well made, and the Fearless doesn't show much wear after 5 years of flying it. Both were birthday presents from my family, so they have considerable sentimental value, as well. But, I am happy to let others fly them that I meet on the beach...

I too have some kites that were presents from my family that are extra dear to me because of that. It is wonderful when your passion for kites is so great that others perceive it & give you a gift of a special kite.

• Like 1