KiteLife Forum

non-rev quads

audioRob

Ive been flying dual stunt's for a while and honestly never have been very enthralled by the revolutions... Seems that most people tend to swoon over them and fly little else.

What are some other quad stunt options? Was on the verge of a tc ultra but I've never seen someone fly one, nor even talk about them.

Perhaps Im just sheltered? hah

Perhaps you haven't tried a quad? There are other quad kites out there. Some are pretty good. I still haven't found one I like near as well as the Rev. It's the design. The others are fun, and with practice very doable. The designs and bridle determine how they fly. You feel where the cuts are and have to learn to compensate.

Have you flown a rev. stopped it, gone 3 inches, stopped it again. 3 inches, stop. do it in reverse? It's not the stunts that they do, it's all about the control.

The first time I found my brakes I was amazed! It brings a whole new dimension to kiteflying. Then flying a forward circle is nothing like flying a reverse circle. There are endless moves to be learned.

I know, I'm swooning.... but I just can't help it. :devil:

Someone want to write a list of available quads? You'll probably find it under the quad heads. Sorry, I have to go to work.

BB

Penny

Ive been flying dual stunt's for a while and honestly never have been very enthralled by the revolutions... Seems that most people tend to swoon over them and fly little else.

What are some other quad stunt options? Was on the verge of a tc ultra but I've never seen someone fly one, nor even talk about them.

Perhaps Im just sheltered? hah

You know, I felt much like you did 8 years ago, my first two quads were TC Ultras, a regular and an SUL one. Interesting kites, but, I did simply go to a Revolution a couple of months later. Bear in mind the TC Ultras made these days are not the handmade beauties of years gone by (ie, my SUL was close to 400 dollars)

As far as other quads go, here's a rundown on the most known ones :

Spirit - Made initially by Steve Laporte, now done by New Tech. Nice kites, fun to fly, very versatile. I know Dorsal swears by'em. I'm getting one sooner or later (just to round out my 14 kite Rev collection). Well priced, they are about 99 bucks I think. Very much a symetrical kite in its behaviour.

Airbow - Made by Benson from an Andy Wardley design. Im currently playing with one to write a review for Kitelife in the next issue. Lots of fun, I figure its sort of a dual line with quad leanings, and a quad with dual leanings. Given how new of a design it is, I think there is potential for these to get some really nifty tricks. Definitely more of a trick kite than a Rev, but, with none of the Rev's precision. Very expensive and hard to find over here in North America. Also very symetrical in its flight.

Synergy-Deca - Made by Guildworks but, I don't -think- they are making any more beyond pure custom orders. Someone feel free to correct me on that. And, I have 3 Decas I'd part with, two of which are broken... I love Decas in some ways, its hands down one of the most visually interesting kites out there and one of the most advanced designs but, its a total pain in the ass to assemble, hence why I now have two broken ones. ALSO very symetrical in flight.

TC Ultra - I commented a little above. While its a dual that can fly as a quad, I found they still were mostly dual line in behaviour. VERY NOT SYMETRICAL! I've been meaning to try my SUL one again lately, just to see how much easier it is to fly when I know what I am doing. Capable of some very unique stuff...

I think that covers the major ones available, someone will correct me if I have missed one. For me, I prefer Revolutions. Also not symetrical in flight , but, thats part of their charm in this case. Revs kinda defined what quad flight is, and in 18 years, their basic design still works well, as do the later variations. For competition, its your best bet as all the compulsories are Rev focussed (but, mostly do-able on any quad, especially the Spirit) anyways.

The best idea? Try as many as you can, they are all fun and all different.

Oh, and yea, I'm one of those Rev swooners...

:devil:

I'll add my Rev swooning..... :w00t:

Besides my 15 Rev's I have a TC Ultra and a NPW5.

Have previously owned a Spirit, but she and I didn't really "marry". Although I know there are some people who love it, she and I didn't really click. So I sold her after a few flights.

The TC Ultra and NPW5 in my opinion have some similar characteristics. Both seem to fly as a dual/quad. Kinda like a dual-line with brakes. Both fun in their own ways. The NPW5 that I have is only a 175 (think it's around 2.4 sq meters) but it drags me around the field. Fun sometimes.

I've just bought a Subvision, the low-wind version of a Vision. A German kite. It'll be interesting to see how it flies. Haven't received it yet.

Oh, I also have a Skydancer from InterActive Kites, I think from England. It's truly fun and spectacular with its 45' tails. I enjoy flying it almost as much as a Rev.

I am downsizing my Rev's... By one... I bought an EXP to teach people with and wind up using my Rev 1.5 most of the time for teaching, so I'm selling it.

That's it! Most recent Rev is the Supersonic, and it's exhilarating when the wind is about 10-15 mph. WOW :devil:

Later, Doug

I'll add my Rev swooning..... :devil:

Besides my 15 Rev's I have a TC Ultra and a NPW5.

Have previously owned a Spirit, but she and I didn't really "marry". Although I know there are some people who love it, she and I didn't really click. So I sold her after a few flights.

I've been sitting here at work trying to mentally define -why- I prefer Revs as a four line kite and I think it can sort of be summed up like this.

Because of a Rev's non symetrical flight, forward and reverse are very different skills to master, and thus, it becomes a never ending challenge. I find "truly" symetrical kites, like the Decas and Airbows, and to some degree, the Spirit, drive me nuts sooner or later.

More later as it becomes a clearer reason in my head, but, I'll say this. In 8 years of flying Revs, I've never gotten bored and nor have I ever run out of things to learn. And just when I think I've seen it all, someone comes along and shows me something new.

Thank you for the replies so far... I have flow the exp a few outings and though it was fantastic to fly BUT.... I dont know, i just didnt get excited. Keep the replies coming, im really having fun researching some of these kites i havent heard of

All quad kites are a pile of fun to fly, I've never flown one that I disliked. Keep us posted on your own experiences too!

Well, with the revolution I had little trouble getting off good slides and stalls. The spirit was very weird in comparison. The m-quad was "fun" to me.

All in all it was a good experience but the methodical control and precise motions aren't as exciting to me as controlled chaos of dual-tricking I guess.

To each their own, Im still going out on sunday to grab a revolution to have in my quiver anyways... I figure with a little more time I may be able to figure out some really fantastically fun things to do with it. Meanwhile Im downloading all the master's quad videos to see what they're doing... despite the area, there's very few people out here very often flying quad's other than foils

Oh yes, and treasure island, FL. Summer really sucks for anything but SUL's, even indoor kites necassary on some days... but now we're n september and day and night there's a constant 7-12 depending on the time. Spend about 8 hours out every other day.. which tonight's session leads me to another question to go post in one of the other forums :)

Yup, to each their own. I don't mind people who love only duals.. I'm not a quad snob. :) But..... Dual lines stall... Quads stop..... We've got brakes! lol Woo hoo... a weekend of fun in partial sun this weekend.

I met a couple down at Treasure Island. The lady's name was Sand. Do you know many fliers down there?

Enjoy!

Seaside competitors kick butt and good weather to you.

BB

Penny B)

I actually dont know any fliers down here, ive been at it pretty much by myself for a while. My brother is a kitesurfer and his best friend flies dual's as well, but for precision not trick, and my wife is beginning.. That's really it, people ive known forever anyways.

I heard there's a kite club over here, but ive never seen them. Going to the "local" (hour away) store this weekend and i think ill finally ask about it

Hey Rob,

My friend Marty from the WACKOS was trying to post on this thread to let you know about the Treasure Island club. His email to me is below:

"In the "non-rev quads" topic, there is a fellow called "audioRob" that is looking for a club in the Treasure Island area. Could you append to the forum and tell him about the Treasure Island Sport Kite Klub that flies at Treasure Island. They fly every Sunday afternoon in front of the Bilmar hotel. Their web site at http://www.tiskk.org and there is a list of members on the web site and directions to the Bilmar. I've flown with them on and off for several years - they are a good, friendly bunch.

Thanks.

Marty Groet"

Hope this helps.

Doug