KiteLife Forum

WTB: Rev Lineset and handles

Bolo

I was able to find line and handles on-line. I got mine out of the states but there are a few Canadian sites to order from. I am waiting for mine to arrive cant wait to fly my new (used) rev.

Hi Wayne

It's based on a lot of reading about flying, and very little time actually doing it.

I am primarily in Toronto Ontario, the wind here this summer has been gusty at best and more often pretty light (1 - 4 mph).

I've chatted with Dave at Kite Connection, and John at Kites And Fun Things about frames and lines and Revs, and again, tried to read as much as I can find.

My thinking was, with light winds, I'll need all the help I can get, and that thinner line would be lighter with less drag.

Would a 'standard' 100# 80' lineset not make much of a difference?

I agree with Wayne. If you are new to Revs, you will have an easier and quicker time learning with a long 90# set, 100' or 120'. The heavier and longer the line is, the slower the kite will move, thus giving you just a bit more time to react to its movement. It will also allow you to fly in heavier wind when the lighter line would have a chance of breaking.

Multiple sets is the ideal way to go if your budget allows. Most people use 120' x 90# when flying in groups or pairs. The lighter and shorter sets are nice for practice sessions. If you fly regularly on shorter lines you will be amazed how much easier it seems when you switch to the long lines.

• Like 1

I rarely fly on long lines, and when I do, it feels like the kite is stuck in the mud... flying so slow, it feels like the kite is going to fall out of the air. Yes, I still have that panic instinct of trying to keep the kite up at all costs...

• Like 1

I agree with Wayne. If you are new to Revs, you will have an easier and quicker time learning with a long 90# set, 100' or 120'. The heavier and longer the line is, the slower the kite will move, thus giving you just a bit more time to react to its movement. It will also allow you to fly in heavier wind when the lighter line would have a chance of breaking.

Multiple sets is the ideal way to go if your budget allows. Most people use 120' x 90# when flying in groups or pairs. The lighter and shorter sets are nice for practice sessions. If you fly regularly on shorter lines you will be amazed how much easier it seems when you switch to the long lines.

As a relatively new Rev flyer I agree with Mark. I recently switched to 120 foot lines from 90. Even that 30 foot difference allows quite a bit bigger wind window to learn in. More time and room to get out of trouble when an issue occurs. I've been able to learn inverted flight on the longer lines. Not saying that I couldn't have learned on the shorter lines. But more time and room seemed to make it much easier.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks, this is very useful information.

Seems like the wider window, and reduced speed when using a longer heavier line might outweigh the benefit of less weight and drag with a shorter lighter line.

Even with the strong possibility of low winds, it sounds like a 90# 100'+ lineset will be my initial line set, and then a lighter shorter set once i get the basics down.

Meeting up with Hyzakite tomorrow to pick up a Rev and hopefully get some basic instruction.

• Like 2