KiteLife Forum

Old timer just found this place...... Hope to find answers to my questions

ClassiCut

I just found this site and I wanted to say a quick HI and introduce myself. I live in SE Tennessee and have not done much flying because our wind is so frustrating. I would describe it as swirly and variable but I do fly from time to time. I started into this hobby in 1991 on a trip to Destin FL. I bought my first Dual and enjoyed it. It was heavy and I never was able to fly it at home. I later collected several kites and made several for myself and enjoyed the building process very much. I have a Benson Box of Trix and a STRANGER. I have a Peter B. VANISHING POINT and another one but don't remember the name. I will be surfing around here a bit and then would like to get some help...... I have had many frustrating trips to fly and will be asking questions soon. Barry

**** ClassiCutCustoms.com. ****

• Like 3

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm more quad-line than dual, but can help with some things. Ask what you need to know and many others on this forum will chime in with answers.

Also, check us out at "ikeclub.org", many there who can help.

The Vanishing Point should be the answer to your frustrations... it can deal with light & swirly wind that you describe. I would try it on 50'-75' lines, and it likes smooth, slow inputs. Feel the pressure on the sail with your fingertips, and remember, any sudden strong inputs will probably pull the kite out of the air.

My Vanishing Point...

VanishingPoint.jpg

The Box of Tricks and Stranger will be good when the winds are a little higher and solid.

• Like 1

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm more quad-line than dual, but can help with some things. Ask what you need to know and many others on this forum will chime in with answers.

Also, check us out at "ikeclub.org", many there who can help.

Thanks..... I forgot to mention those. I have old Rev from when they came out..... 1 I think. It was the smaller pf the two versions then. I also bought the indoor Rev about three years ago. I have flown it a few times and I haven't gotten used to it yet.

The Vanishing Point should be the answer to your frustrations... it can deal with light & swirly wind that you describe. I would try it on 50'-75' lines, and it likes smooth, slow inputs. Feel the pressure on the sail with your fingertips, and remember, any sudden strong inputs will probably pull the kite out of the air.

My Vanishing Point...

VanishingPoint.jpg

The Box of Tricks and Stranger will be good when the winds are a little higher and solid.

Mustang,

I don't want to jump right onto the question stand without doing some reading first. That type of behavior is often frowned on in many forums and I don't want my hand slapped.

I have found that the Stranger rarely has enough wind here to get it going and I love axles on the BOT but that is about all I can do. It turtles nicely but I think it gets stuck. I may be forgetting...... Lol. One of the two goes on its back but has to float to the ground before I can recover it.

I have honestly not enjoyed the VP. It was the #1 according to what is written on the sail and I was afraid to hurt it. I built a copy of it with one size heavier carbon and flew the heck out of it. I all but wore it out and I need to repair the tip retainers. I got bored with it and it really wouldn't do the turtle or any of the yo-yo type moves I was wanting to learn.

I was bored the other night and playing on the YouTube and bumped into you flying a Sea Devil in light winds doing all the flat and spinning moves I was wanting to learn and I started searching for answers.

I do know that I need to pull my bag down and go through them and take pictures...... Post some and get some help. A medium like this was not available last time and being able to post pictures and video will sure be helpful

Okay...... I have taken a few pictures and wanted to talk about what I have. First off is the other PBSK I have it is a Stiletto. It weighs in at 7.9oz / 225 grams. I only flew it a few times and don't remember it much. I don't remember enjoying it for some reason and seem to remember it needing a stronger wind. I should probably give it another try and see what it feels like.

post-8235-14082175920917_thumb.jpgpost-8235-14082176184588_thumb.jpg

Here is my PBSK Vanishing Point. I can't remember ever flying it but the copy I made of it just a tad stronger in frame material I all but wore out. I didn't know anything about weight and balance but couldn't get it to trick well. The connections have all dried up and need to be replaced. Here are some pictures. The tip was held in place with o rings.... It needs help too.

post-8235-14082179048147_thumb.jpgpost-8235-14082179228342_thumb.jpgpost-8235-14082179357473_thumb.jpgpost-8235-14082179540993_thumb.jpgpost-8235-14082179705659_thumb.jpgpost-8235-14082179845263_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, after laying awake half the night pondering the finner points of SUL and life, I am looking for some comparisons by Must86 or someone who has flown some of the kites in question. I am looking for some input on the similarities and differences between the VP, the Sea Devil, and the Fearless. Thanks again for your help and this great place to hang out

The Sea Devil & the Fearless are trick oriented kites, while the Vanishing Point is just for flying. It can do some old school tricks like axels & 540s, but is pretty difficult to do anything that involves laying the kite on it's back, like Lazy Susans or Jacob's Ladders. Also, yoyos are probably not going to happen with the VP.

Consider the Widow Maker if you're looking for a new kite. You can almost buy a Standard and an UL WidowMaker for the cost of a Fearless, that's pretty good bang for the buck, I think.

You Vanishing Point looks like it's in really nice shape, some new APA fittings, and it will be better than new. The Stiletto is also nice looking, is it also an UL ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Must86. I am not sure on the Stiletto. It weighs 7.8oz for a 83" WS...... Probably weight I guess. It is a Skyshark frame but I don't remember the model.

I appreciate your input on the VP...... I have never been able to do much with it and like you say it is just a great flyer. I guess I am wanting something like it but more trick oriented and able to fly in lighter wind than the BOT. I looked at the Widow Maker last night but was not sure.

I know it is a great value but is it capable like the Sea Devil? I have just been so impressed by your video of the SD and I have been missing that level of ability with anything else I have.

The Widow Maker can do anything the Sea Devil can. I don't have a WidowMaker UL, but the standard can fly in winds 3-15mph. The UL should be able to fly easily in 2mph winds, and lower with some footwork.

You mentioned the Fearless, it is a little more of a trick kite than the SeaDevil...

I guess it comes down to this....... I would like something to fill a gap between the VP and the BOTrix that would be in the SUL because 5mph winds are rare. We do have heavy winds but usually with storms and I would just pull the Benson out. I would hate to get a $300 Widow when a Lam kite would be so much better. I was just enamored by the way that Sea Devil flew even in the calm evening winds you had. I know you are very skilled but I am tired of fighting with tools not made for the job at hand... Lol

Hey Classicut, Can't help out with all the dualie technical questions (Must86 is you man, for sure), but welcome to Kitelife ! As has been indicated, just ask, and you shall receive. There are a great bunch of people here on Kitelife, and more information than you can digest. Again, just ask..............welcome aboard ! :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Well, you can't go wrong with either the Sea Devil or Fearless. Lam has some new designs out, too. The Transformer II is a little smaller than the Fearless, but just as tricky if not more. The Tekken is another design he came out with recently, I just couldn't get the timing right with that one and gave up after a year of trying. The ATM (Automatic Trick Machine) is his entry level design, it's a little less than $300. I haven't tried the T2 or the ATM, but people rave about them.

Here's a sample of the Fearless SUL flying in pretty low winds, but not quite as low as the Sea Devil videos.

If you want a Lam kite, all you need to do is give him a call... he'll ask you a bunch of questions about what you fly and how you like to fly, and tailor the build to your needs. PM me for his phone # if you want it.

• Like 2

Rob,

Thanks for your help again. I have been looking around here and YouTube as well as several manufacturers sites. I am not completely confused yet! Lol. I am thinking that the Sea Devil is my first pick at the moment. I think that I want something that is bigger and slower than the other ones I have. I would hate to get a T2 or a ATM and feel like I am flying my BOT all over again. I like the Fearless video and it looks great but I could see it getting ahead of me and maybe I would be happier with a slower pace for now. I know everyone is different and I could end up both at some point. I just know that I have always liked the feel of the SUL in our wind and I want to learn more slack line and floaty tricks like you were just cranking out in the videos of these two kites. I know both excell but the SD just seems more relaxing. I need to watch both again

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone..... Not that anyone really cares.... Lol

I had a wonderful phone conversation with Lam Hoac after he returned from the Montreal show on the 20th. We talked about my experiences and troubles and he just laughed at the problems I have had like it was common and he could help. He recommended that I look at his Transformer 2 and he had a couple extra in his personal kite bag. I have always liked purple and pink kites and he had one in "grape" according to him. We hit it off and I am excited to see I have a package in hand now. I stopped by the post office this morning......I will open it later when work is done but I am planning to find this beauty inside!

post-8235-14091602966556_thumb.jpg

• Like 4