KiteLife Forum

LPG & Skybond in group flying

northwavesailor

I know there are fans of both LPG & Skybond lines for group flying. We have and use use both brands in shorter lengths and are ready to buy some 120' sets. We like the yellow color of the Skybond in the sand as well as the more slippery feel, but want to get opinions of those who have flown in small groups where both flavors were used together. At this point, it will just be the 2 of us on one brand of line or perhaps 4 with 2 on one brand and 2 on the other.

I am leaning towards getting the 120' linesets in Skybond, but just checking with others to be sure crossing lines with LPG will not damage the Skybond line.

I did speak with Wayne Dowler yesterday at WSIKF and he thought they played well together!

Hey John, I was going to suggest sending a PM to Wayne, as he seems to be one of the few, with experience mixing the two lines. He has likewise told me the same, as he indicated to you. I am also interested in the Skybond line, not so much for team flying, but for the color. For some reason, I can see the colored lines much better than the white LPG. It will be interesting to hear some other comments (not that I don't value Wayne's view) on this subject.

Good topic ! I'll be following this one, for sure. :clap;

I've flown in groups with a mix of LPG and Skybond. Does not seem to be an issue. My 120's are LPG, my pairs partner's are Skybond. Besides pairs, we also fly team and megateam with others. No problems on my lines so far. I don't think he has had problems with his lines either, but you may want to wait for a first hand answer from someone who flies with Skybond just to be sure.

Mixing both brands on the line for a couple of years informally, no issues. The problem will always be someone's OLD lines

Paul has it right - more issues with old vs new lines, than any issue of Skybond and LPG! Few the heck outta my SB at WSIKF (nearly 100 hrs over 11 days), so we'll see how they did after I get a chance to clean them up and check them out!!

• Like 1

Holy Moly, Wayne.......................100 hours in 11 days!!! You are a BEAST................

So is your Skybond line set now classified as 'OLD'?

Since you and Paul both agree that age or wear ('old') are the limiting factor on line and line longevity, I guess we'll just go with the Skybond for our new 120' lengths. I do like the yellow color as well as the slick feel when wound up a few rotations.

I can't guess how long (in terms of months) it would take us to rack up 100 hours 'on the lines'!!!

• Like 1

Paul Dugard did some testing in front of us on the team line during a break in the action. He started off flying with 22 wraps in the Skybond

WOW!

22 wraps and not bound up is pretty awesome!

That's beginning to sound like being back at work. YIKES :cat_shocked:

Heck, 100 hours = 2 1/2 normal work weeks...................Wayne is a Rev Flying Machine!

Easy now, the total from my log was actually 95 hours for 11 days - nearly 11 hours a day! Had my sandwich in my bag, plenty of drink in my hydration pack, and snacks too! Early nights for indoor on 3 nights, but the rest of the nights I was pretty much the last off the beach!!!

Easy now, the total from my log was actually 95 hours for 11 days - nearly 11 hours a day! Had my sandwich in my bag, plenty of drink in my hydration pack, and snacks too! Early nights for indoor on 3 nights, but the rest of the nights I was pretty much the last off the beach!!!

Wow! That may be more hours than I have flown in the two years I have been an active since my kite reawakening. Sounds like you had an epic time. Maybe there is something to attending these festivals....SHBKF