KiteLife Forum

New to NikNak

grey78

I got a NikNak (first sport kite) this summer, and I'm trying to learn to keep it in the air. I'm in East Texas with little wind (except today, there's a breeze).

How do I know when and where to jog/run away with my kite? It launches straight up overhead, but I'm not getting any more.

Are my lines OK at about 15-18 feet?

Thanks,

Amber

Hey Amber...

Welcome to the forum ! Sounds like you made a great choice in a first kite, Skyburner makes some quality stuff ! Your lines sound a little short, I would fly the NikNak on 30-50 foot lines, depending on the speed of the wind. 30's should work for super low winds, and 50's would be for winds 3-10mph. You could even use longer lines when the wind gets over 5mph.

If the winds are over 3mph, you shouldn't have to move very much, but when it's real low, a few quick steps back upwind will help when the kite needs a little boost.

Remember, slow, easy movements... keep your hands together as much as you can. Enjoy !

~Rob.

Does zero wind count as super low? I guess I should get a longer set, then! We had a good windy spring, until the day my kite arrived. ;)

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow.

Yes, zero is super low. When you need the hairs on the back of your neck or a puff of smoke to tell the direction of the wind, it's super low. The thing about lines is, the shorter they are, the smaller your wind window is, and the faster you're going to have to react. It's very easy to overcompensate your inputs on short lines.

Hi Amber,

I too, got a Nik Nak back in June and like you, I'm in East Texas also. I have found that even on a light wind day (and that's most days in East Texas), I can get the Nik Nak up and in the air with no problem. I usually use 85 ft. lines to fly with. I find the Nik Nak to be one of my go-to kites for flying just about anyday.

Robert

• Like 1

Hi Amber. Love the colors on your niknak. Mine had the same colors.

As your first kite you want longer lines for sure. 75 to 100 feet. Save the short lines for when your skills improve.

You should enjoy flying the kite in 3-6 mph. It's a fun kite to fly and learn on. Lighter winds will be a bigger challange. As your skills improve, you will find it easier to fly in those lighter winds.

Flying in zero wind is a challange even for experienced pilots, check out YouTube for indoor flying to get some ideas.

Wagner is right. Using a longer set of lines will help you greatly. Also, I looked at the forecast for this weekend and the winds are foing ro be perfect... 8-15mph.

Sent by Robert "Trip" Hilliard on his mobile using Tapatalk. :^)>

Hi Amber.... yes, I fly with DAKO which is the Dallas group as much as I can. They're a good group of flyers. I live and fly in Lindale. I haven't found anyone locally that flies. You're the first one I've run into.

I finally got longer lines attached. I can see the difference, more time to react. Still can't stay in the air, but I was trying it out in a small area. Maybe tomorrow / this weekend! I'm using lines from the dollar store, on plastic winders. With little/no wind, that should be okay, right? Did you fly any?

I don't fly dualies anymore, but if I remember right, those dollar store lines are made of dacron and have a whole lot of stretch! I'd look to invest in some better lines that have little to no stretch. They have better response with how the kite is acting and your commands!

I have several sets of lines that work well for me when flying the NikNak as well as other duals. The shortest is 40 ft which I use with some light wind kites. I also have a 75 ft.... 85 ft and 100 ft lines that are shanti skybond brand.

When the wind is up, I usually fly at Lindale High School on the practice field in the back. Your welcome to come by and fly sometime. You can try some longer lines to see which length fits you.