KiteLife Forum

New to NikNak

grey78

I tried flying my 4-D today. It flew for a while but eventually it would fade to the ground. If I were you, I would save my money and fly the nik nak when the winds are up a little bit.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk. :^)>

I thought the NikNak is supposed to be a good low wind kite. (No, I don't have one, this is just what I have heard.) Admittedly, it is much much easier to learn to fly when there is enough wind. Once you get the basics, then you can work on low wind technique and be able to fly in lower wind than when you started.

That's true dragonfish. The NikNak is rated for 0 to 12mph winds. But as light as the NikNak is ... the 4D is lighter and flies better in low or no wind. Also, I'm more of a ballet/precision flyer than a trick flyer. So, I need a little more wind to fly.

I teach math, so I believe in learning thru making mistakes.... So y'all are basically telling me to practice what I preach, right? Practice, practice, practice. Keep launching til I can keep the kite in the (no wind) air. :D I think I got 5 seconds more aloft yesterday than the last time out . So there's progress! :)

I have flown my NIK NIK indoors in the school gym here on short lines and yes its not easy but not impossible. It's keeping your moves steady and smooth, by walking around left or right and just start by pulling the kite not hard and have the kite flying on its side. This way you'll have the kite in the air and you will learn how fast you'll move to keep it in the air. Don't do anything more till you are comfortable walking around with the kite flying it's side. Then you can turn the kites nose up and fly over head and repeat, this will take some time but you will get it. You can also do figure eight. Just don't try getting fancy. This can also be done outside too. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I practiced tonight! When I'm carrying the NikNak (by its top bar) out to the field, it always seems like it's wanting to float/fly behind me, so I practiced walking in little circles and sort of swinging it, on short lines, to get a feel for how it wants to fly or glide. I managed to actually FLY it for almost half a circle around me, and made a nice landing, as opposed to a crash! Boy, this kite is built like a tank - it has taken many nose dives and bounces and still looks like it just came out of the bag.

I learned a bit more about its handle, so short or not, it was a good outing. I bought a pair of finger straps - do y'all have different straps on each set of lines? I'm still practicing with my cheap lines, and I cut my finger just about every time handling the string barehanded.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

That sounds great grey! You're on the road to flying. The Nik Nak is an excellent kite. I'm in Plano at the balloon festival this weekend. Plan to fly all of my kites including my Nik Nak. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.