KiteLife Forum

Brought a 2nd hand kite, has mold or mildew...

Talonnz

Welcome to the forum, Nick.

A mild detergent and water, some very gentle scrubbing. If it's mildew it will probably leave a stain. Most stains on kites aren't very noticeable from distances over 50 feet. Wouldn't worry too much, just keep it dry so it doesn't spread.

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Welcome aboard...........as for your problem:

I've used cleaners such as 409, Greased Lightning, etc., with good results (I don't use anything with bleach). I always make sure that the material is thoroughly wet first. Then I spray some cleaner onto the bristles of a scrub brush (not the kite). With the material held tight (on a flat surface), I give the spot/stain a good scrubbing with the brush. I then immediately rinse off the entire area with the water hose, as I continue to brush the affected area lightly. Once there is no more trace of suds, I give the entire kite a good rinse down, with the water hose, and hang it in the sun to dry. I've never had a problem, and usually had good results with the clean up. I wouldn't think that mold and/or mildew, should be a problem.

If it's just a very small spot, maybe the alcohol method that Wayne mentioned, might be easier for you.

However, if it's a large area, I would try the scrubbing method. If you are concerned about the "de-greaser" type cleaners, mentioned above, try something milder first. There is nothing much milder than "Dawn" dish-washing detergent. Of course, mild detergents are just that - mild - and some stains simply require something a bit stronger. If in doubt, take an old toothbrush, and try one of the stronger cleaners (as described above), on an inconspicuous spot on the kite. If you don't experience any discoloration or fabric degradation, go for a larger area. Just be sure to use lots of water and rinse thoroughly.

Good Luck.......... :ani_victory:

A little extra information: The Peter Lynn Impulse is made out of 40 denier and 70 denier Mirai ripstop nylon. Mirai was introduced in 2005 as a basic ripstop nylon fabric for sport and foil kites; kites that require a high quality fabric which is resistant to wear and tear, has good airtightness, and which easily absorbs shocks. And exactly those features make Mirai an excellent fabric for a much wider range of applications, among which inflatable objects, skydancers, art objects, apparel, protection and cover products, as well as a range of medical devices. Mirai is an outstanding, durable fabric with an unmatched price/performance ratio and all-round usability for all those applications where high performance, durability, and light weight are important.

Bottom-line - it's a pretty darn tough, ripstop nylon fabric - and I wouldn't consider it delicate, at all......

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have 5 original 1st generation (1982) Flexifoil 6 stackers with slight damp smell and a flecks of mould on the wings. Should I use same techniques discussed on this post. One of the kites is a very rare advertising piece so do not want to damage it or any of the others. So any advice would be appreciated 

On 6/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, Tony Baxter said:

I have 5 original 1st generation (1982) Flexifoil 6 stackers with slight damp smell and a flecks of mould on the wings.

Would the mould and scent of vintage go away after a couple of sessions in the rain?

6 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

5% distilled white vinegar from the grocery store, old toothbrush, paper towels, slow and steady

I’m sure that that is an excellent advice. Is this to be considered as a general ripstop cleaning agent or is it something more geared towards mould?

Is it necessary to clean kites at all? I’m quite relaxed when it comes to stains and wear. I believe:

“A worn kite is a feather in my cap - Any stain is an insignia of use.”

That sounded real good – I think I’ll change my signature accordingly!

5 hours ago, Exult said:

Would the mould and scent of vintage go away after a couple of sessions in the rain?

I’m sure that that is an excellent advice. Is this to be considered as a general ripstop cleaning agent or is it something more geared towards mould?

Is it necessary to clean kites at all? I’m quite relaxed when it comes to stains and wear. I believe:

“A worn kite is a feather in my cap - Any stain is an insignia of use.”

That sounded real good – I think I’ll change my signature accordingly!

Cool advise and query, although flying flexi's in the rain could get interesting.

bt