KiteLife Forum

Kite Flying Popularity

smoothwind

Hey Bill, where were you? I'd be curious. I have gone to a few festivals around the region and noticed something similar as well. I know there are more experienced dual line and quad fliers around Chicagoland and I never see them on the forums. I even tried to talk to a couple of them and I definitely felt brushed off at most or disinterested at least. But that has been the exception.

I was at the kite fest in Geneva.

Also, I was at the DeKalb Fest yesterday which was well attended. Lots of interested people with questions about my Rev. And although I don't think I'd wish to hand over the controls of my Rev to a rookie, I may try to have a dual line kite set up next time for people to take a whack at.

Bill

hey that's my old stomping grounds, NIU (1976-79),... the Fife & Drum, McCabes, The Plaza,.... I've gotta' get back there one of these days and a kite fest is about the perfect choice for an event to attract my attention.

Yeah, so come on up and join us next year, or sooner.

My 1cent. My exposure was at SOKF. Some pretty interesting kites, and flying. Watching John B dancing to the music really got my wife's attention. So, exhibitions with "friendly" participants. It does cost the locals a bit to organize and promote. Got my lady to suggest getting dual line kites for three generations. Can't say who had biggest grin - me or 9 yrs old grandson thrashing a BeeBop! In contrast a couple weeks ago we were on the Beach with our grandkids in a 25 - 30 "breeze" and observed a father setting up his first dual. Did not go well. By the time I noticed the problem the line snares were beyond repair. One afternoon 5 of us were flying at local high school football field and a 12 yrs old asked for a try. He made a few turns, but like many beginner was to aggressive with the hands. I think he will remember positively. I also have a 3 stack will 50' tails that always attracts attention and comments.

So, just have a "Come fly with us" day for beginners and people who like to show newbies. All that said. We bought 8 kites and did not really know if anyone would really enjoy. Cost is a factor. I ended up buying materials to build better flying kites. Once you get some people started they will, build or BUY. I would really like to buy a few to supplement my tattered diy builds.1

• Like 1

Unfortunately just too expensive for most! When I played back in the late '80s, early '90s, greens fees were in the $10 - $15 dollar range. Now many of the same places are double or more that much! Equipment too has taken a huge leap in cost! So what was once affordable has now outpriced itself and become exclusive!!

What used to be a day long $25 - $30 event is now at least $50 or more!!

The wind blows for free!!

Unfortunately just too expensive for most! When I played back in the late '80s, early '90s, greens fees were in the $10 - $15 dollar range. Now many of the same places are double or more that much! Equipment too has taken a huge leap in cost! So what was once affordable has now outpriced itself and become exclusive!!

I am not a golfer, but just for perspective. Golfing is considered a macho "business" acclaim aka Nascar & NFL & NBA etc. (They even auto cap). The golfing dad is not as confident ( competent) setting up the new kite. There is also the initial entry barrier. A decent kite costs more than a round of golf and clubs are available to rent. You usually golf with someone, friendly or not. Kiting is a little different. Usually buy to fly unless at an event. And flying is a little more solitary; no whack a ball and jump in the cart and have a beer. On the other hand once you have kite gear, and like the zen, kites have low overhead unless the wind is big or you get agressive. Still probably less than a box of those special go long balls. Wayne, I love your passion!