KiteLife Forum

B pro for a newbie

KuRev

Hello all,

So I am still brand new in flying rev, and I wonder if buying a B pro 1.5 is appropriated at this level. The thing is that I want a kite that can last me a long time, and without having to buy replacement. I know that it is more expensive than the exp or 1.5 but if I keep buying more,they will end up even more expensive than a b pro. Any advise for me? Thanks a lot in advance

I am pretty new to the rev world as well but I purchased a B series rev and I have been loving it. I dont think you have to go to the pro model but if you can afford it then by all means. Just a thought though. You will be buying more then one rev. Mid Vents, Full Vents, Extra Vents, etc... I had a chance to fly RajinCajuns full vent and it was smooth. I am already looking at a mid vent. :rev_clockwork:

I am pretty new to the rev world as well but I purchased a B series rev and I have been loving it. I dont think you have to go to the pro model but if you can afford it then by all means. Just a thought though. You will be buying more then one rev. Mid Vents, Full Vents, Extra Vents, etc...

I agree with PereiraM. You are not just looking at "1" new B-Pro. Whatever you are flying, or planning on getting, you will eventually want a set (std, mid, full). Again, if you have the extra buck$$$ laying around, by all means go for it. B-Pros "rule".................

I've had Rev I's, SLE's, sets of B's, sets of B-Pros, Rev II's, and sets of B2's. All are great (kites) Revs, indeed, but I've got to say, the B-Pros are definitely "TOPS", but, "TOPS" come at a price. As for your original question.......longevity is a "tough" call. It's all going to depend on the way you fly (and crash) the kites. All kites need a bit of "TLC", however, any of these Revs will last you a long, long time, IF, you take care of them, and keep the abuse (and crashes) to a minimum..........

Please understand, this is just "my" personal opinion...............which is worth exactly what it cost you to read this post............. :ani_victory:

• Like 1

It really depends on how quickly you learn to fly it. If you abuse the kite more then you expect and tear the sail or damage it in any way then you are either going to have to repair it or buy a new one. If you do it with a 1.5 SLE or a standard B series then the cost is not as high. Think of it this way. would you want to learn how to drive in a Lamborghini you just paid for?

• Like 1

It really depends on how quickly you learn to fly it. If you abuse the kite more then you expect and tear the sail or damage it in any way then you are either going to have to repair it or buy a new one. If you do it with a 1.5 SLE or a standard B series then the cost is not as high. Think of it this way. would you want to learn how to drive in a Lamborghini you just paid for?

Now that really makes sense to me, thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll start on the standard B series then. :)

You want to get 2 sails if you can - a full sail (std) and a full vent. With the 2 you have the majority of wind conditions covered, can get matching sails if you want, and can get a midvent when you like! Buy one in a package to get handles and maybe lines, (not all come with them, so look close) and two frames. Then get the second as a "kite only" to get the frame you're missing and save yourself getting a duplicate of things you already have! The "B" is an awesome top of the line factory kite, uses multiple frames, and is very versatile!

If money is an issue - look for good used kites, they can get you started at a fraction of the new cost!

Now that winter is approaching, there will usually more used ones being sold. People who just didn't "click" with quad-line kites, and those who are retiring some kites so they can buy more. Get a full sail and then patiently wait for better deals to show up. They do every year.

And of course, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to crossing lines with you someday.

• Like 1

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php

Is a forum that has more sales and trades than this one does... You could keep watching there as well. Many of us are on both sites, but this one is the best for learning and comraderie!

I don't think I've said this before, but everyone give yourselves a pat on the back. I've learned so much here in the last year and had so many laughs and made so many generous connections here. A sincere thank you to all of you for enriching my life!

Kelly

• Like 4

More food for thought........

Many people (not everyone), prefer for their sets to match. This is so you always have the same visual picture in the sky, whether you are flying the standard, mid-vent, or the full-vent sail. Should you (being totally new to quad line kites) have an unplanned landing (total disaster), and then need to replace one of those kites in your set, you'll find that the B-series will be more readily available, at most kite stores, as well as on-line (plus as PereiraM mentioned, the cost will be much less). As for the B-Pros, not that they can't be replaced (they surely can), but being the Lamborghini that they are, the B-Pro (if custom) could, and probably will take weeks to get replaced, as compared to ordering a regular B-series on-line...

As for which kite to get first (std, mid, or full), my initial choice would be the mid-vent (if getting only one). Others will have different & valid opinions, but I have found with every set, that I have owned personally, I have always ended up flying the mid-vent sail, the majority of the time. This decision may be dictated by wind conditions, or other personal preferences, so again, that's just my experience, and my personal opinion. To me, the mid-vent is just that - middle of the range - and it's wind range stretches both ways, just not quite as low as the standard, or as high as the full-vent. Once again, if $$$'s are not a problem, go for the full set.

Oh, and as for that matching color scheme, that I mentioned earlier - don't think that it's a must. The last full set of B2's that I purchased, are three entirely different colors, but still, I fly the red one 90% of the time....(guess what that is).... Again, it's all in what feels right for you !

post-4670-0-68538400-1411475254_thumb.jp

So much good advice, but I'll add my two cents. I've bought two new Rev's. An EXP and a printed SUL. The rest I've bought from fliers here or another forum. Most fliers take good care of their kites because it's an investment with huge returns and flying time when you take care of them. I have been very happy with the ones I have bought used. I have to say that this is a small community and reputations are important for those of us who are frequent fliers. No one wants to upset a new flier and lose them or foul the water and prevent selling your expensive kites later on, if you have to.

As far as a B-Pro? Good luck finding one used. People tend to hold on to them because they're so good and beloved. If you are past the initial flying stage and able to keep it in the air without problem, then you'll be happy to have that B-Pro until it's in tatters. And then you might have it repaired to fly it some more.

BTW, I've only been flying Rev's for a year and am in no hurry to get a matched set. Most people do that as their signatures, like racing colors.

Do it!

If you can get a colour scheme on the colourizer then I say go right ahead. They all can take a few hits. Fly something you like the look of.

Cost will be forgotten, smiles will remain.

Absolutely -- as in other aspects of life, you get what you pay for. If the cost is not prohibitive, then dive in head first.

Which one to start with really depends on your area. Here in the foothills of the Rockies, I fly ultralight 75% of the time & full vent the rest. We either have "not enough" or "too much" wind. My midvent has only a few hours on it compared to the other two.

Think about Your fields & Your winds. It's nice to have them all, but I know now that I should have started with a lighter kite here.

YMMV

Kelly

• Like 2

I agree with RevRookie. Consider where you will be flying. The few neighborhood parks I've tried to fly at a few times in SJ did not have very good wind. Who knows, maybe you'll find the awesome park in SJ that has wind, but I haven't. In the conditions I've seen around there, it could be a struggle to fly a midvent, especially if you're just starting out. It's easier to learn in the mid to medium high portion of a kite's wind range rather than the low end. If, on the other hand, you will be making the trip out to Shoreline (Mountain View) or Baylands (Sunnyvale) to fly, those parks tend to get more wind in the afternoon, probably because they are next to the bay instead of being inland. A midvent may be more appropriate for those locations.

Another thing to consider... If you get a standard (i.e. full sail) first, then your second kite can be a full vent, and the two will cover most Bay Area winds. While a midvent may be is really nice, there will be days when there's not quite enough wind for it and days when there's too much wind. You will end up wanting 2 more kites, one for lower wind and one for higher. Maybe you already want all 3, then it's not so much an issue which you get first. From what I've seen though, most people around here (myself included) start with a standard, realize they also need a higher wind kite and get a full vent, and eventually some get a midvent.

If you don't already know, Shoreline has a designated Kite Flying Area, and a number of people fly Revs and dual lines there. Cesar Chavez Park at the Berkeley Marina is also a popular kite flying spot, if you feel like traveling that far. It's still pretty windy up here though.

BTW, I've only been flying Rev's for a year and am in no hurry to get a matched set. Most people do that as their signatures, like racing colors.

Hmm...racing colors...I like that analogy. And yes, I do identify people on the field by their kites.

So, after reading all of your advises, I ended up getting me a used mid vent. I will try it out at Shoreline this week and see how it goes :)

Also, dragonfish, where are those neighborhood parks that you were talking about? I tried some park and there are just too many trees

So, after reading all of your advises, I ended up getting me a used mid vent. I will try it out at Shoreline this week and see how it goes :)

Wow, you found one already. Congrats. Have fun with it.

Also, dragonfish, where are those neighborhood parks that you were talking about? I tried some park and there are just too many trees

The parks I'm talking about were probably just like the one you tried. Lots of trees/houses around the outside, which makes for very bad kite flying wind. I don't even know if the one's I've been to are worth listing, because I wouldn't recommend them if you can get out to Shoreline. I do most of my kite flying at Berkeley (I live near there), or Shoreline if I'm in the South Bay.

Hi KuRev. I see you're in downtown SJ. I'm doing a kitchen remodel in the Santa Teresa area for the next few weeks. Maybe we can fly someday soon. All this work and no play is making me cranky.

I bought a B pro full vent to learn on, and was very happy with everything about the kite. When you first start flying revs it will take some of your hobby money. Then you get hooked, and you find that flying revs is an incredible way to express yourself and have fun.

You will spend A LOT of money if you get hooked. At least I did. It's worth every penny.

KuRev..............Congratulations on your new Rev. Get to the coast, or the bay, and enjoy your kite. As many others have alluded, you are definitely going to want more and more Revs once you learn to fly, and progress - so get prepared. :cat_lol:

Also, looking back at my previous post, where I suggested a Mid-Vent as your first Rev, please understand that I made that suggestion based on my own personal experiences. I did mention the fact that - "Others will have different & valid opinions, but I have found with every set, that I have owned personally, I have always ended up flying the mid-vent sail, the majority of the time." Again, I made that statement, simply as an expression of my personal opinion and experiences. I also followed that up with - "This decision may be dictated by wind conditions, or other personal preferences, so again, that's just my experience, and my personal opinion." Maybe I should have prefaced that by saying, that the majority (95%) of my flying is done in clean coastal winds, which incidentally, are a real joy, when flying a Rev. As I mentioned in that earlier post, you have indeed received many of those "different & valid opinions", all from Rev veterans, that "know of what they speak". As you may have seen, we all fly differently, in different locations, and under different wind conditions, hence the wide range of suggestions that you have received. I suppose that's one of the great things about Kitelife. You ask a wide open question, and you will get a wide range of opinions, from a great cross-section of flyers, no matter what it is you are asking about. It's then up to you, to decide what is best for your situation. I do hope that you will be happy with your decision.

Oh, and good luck in the drawing today. Wouldn't that be great if you won that "B" :ani_victory:

• Like 1