KiteLife Forum

B pro for a newbie

KuRev

I understand. You guys were awesome, helping a total newbie like me. I read all of your posts about recommending, and went with the regular B becasue it will be my first rev, and I wouldnt wanna "drive a Lambo" as my first car. Plus, I bought a used mid-vent from a fellow kitelifer because it was available in my area. Can't wait to fly it this week

Nothing replaces time on the lines. Nothing. Just go fly, watch the tutorials, fly some more, fly with more people, etc. It all helps. JB just came through my area and and flying with my club members has given me plenty to practice and purpose.

• Like 2

Nothing replaces time on the lines. Nothing. Just go fly, watch the tutorials, fly some more

Yep, and a good first tutorial, "before you get tangled up", would be "Line Management". It's hard to emphasize how important this is, and how frustrating it can be, if you screw it up ! Watch it, then watch it again and again. Then after that, watch it some more, until you can see it in your mind's eye and hear JB talking. Then go outside and practice it. Unwind then rewind, unwind, then rewind :ani_victory:

After that, you may (or may not) want to watch the video tutorial on "Assembly & Disassembly"..... Then do it a couple of times with your new Rev. It may be best to do it indoors the first few times, because it can be somewhat difficult, if you happen to have a howling wind your first time out.

Once you have these two very important steps mastered, then you will be ready for the field, and as Tmadz said, nothing beats "Time on the Lines". Also, if you have someone close by, that might go with you and help, on your first outing, it could save you a bunch of time.........good luck !

Line Management - http://kitelife.com/forum/videos/view-41-rev-tutorial-line-management/

Assembly & Disassembly - http://kitelife.com/forum/videos/view-40-rev-tutorial-assembly-and-disassembly/

• Like 3

Those 2 videos are essential and should come with every rev kite sold. I have watched each of them more times then I can count but it has made my time with the kite so much easier and I definately spend more time on the lines then I do trying to get them untangled. Reef Runner is spot on with this.

• Like 2

Those 2 videos are essential and should come with every rev kite sold. I have watched each of them more times then I can count but it has made my time with the kite so much easier and I definately spend more time on the lines then I do trying to get them untangled. Reef Runner is spot on with this.

Agreed!

I avoided the Line Management tutorial for a couple of months because I didn't want to sit through it for 10 minutes. What a mistake that was! When I finally did watch it, I was kicking myself for not watching it sooner. It really is a huge time saver! Trust us!

• Like 2

I had my own exotic winding method until JB and I had a talk! Then I practiced on a short line set and kept moving up to longer sets, until now all my sets are wound in his style! Sure beats fighting the lines and getting setup, only to be in a bad mood when done! Once you master that winding method - OWN IT! Do it exactly the same EVERYTIME you break down after flying! Make it a habit (and if you can - never let someone else wind your stuff up), that way you only have yourself to blame if mucked up!! :ani_idea::ani_wallbash:

• Like 3

I went there today and was lucky as the wind was smooth. I was flying around and found that this was more fun that I thought. Then I tried to do hovering and failed badly :)

Sounds like a mighty smooth, first day out. NO un-planned landings (crashes - hopefully none too serious) ? I can honestly say that my first day out was definitely not that uneventful, but of course, I had a 12 - 15+ mph breeze at my back, and once up, it was wham, into the ground, then back up into the sky, wham, into the ground, then back up into the sky, wham, up, wham, up, wham, up, and I didn't have a clue what was happening, because it was all happening so fast. I was completely confused, and simply reacting to what the kite was doing - the kite was flying me (and winning). Luckily, no damage sustained, as I was flying a 1.5 SLE (tank), with the 7/16" leading edge. It took me a couple more outings, to gain any confidence, but finally, I started to understand. Then, I started flying the kite. It was almost like that little light bulb came on :ani_idea: and when it does, you just want to kick yourself :ani_wallbash: , and then you just smile :D

As for that hover, it will come, don't worry.....Just remember what Tmadz said, "Nothing replaces time on the lines. Nothing."

Reef Runner, yep,I got some of that crashing too. But I was told the B was very durable from slamming to the ground, as long as L don't do it side way too often. It took me a while too to figure out how to deal with the kite, then the fun began. And it was a blast.I can't wait to fly out next time.

Reved, yes that is the place. I'm afraid that it will be crowded on weekends as there are sometimes concerts at the amphitheater, and a large portion of the playground i converted into parking lot. But it still got some grassy area to fly your kite too, it just might get crowded.

It's not that bad. I've never had issues with parking and the lot for the kite flying area is kind of small. Check the Shoreline Amphitheatre concert schedule online if you are concerned. Yes, the dirt area is technically parking for the amphitheater. On concert days (assuming evening 6 or 7pm concerts), the first cars (event crew) will show up around 3 or 4 pm. You won't even know it's concert day before that.

BTW, I checked this weekend for you. There's a concert today but not Sunday.

• Like 1

Yea, I'm busy. Sorry guys. Too many things to do before AKA Convention and Grand Nationals competition. Don't know if I even have time to practice more tomorrow, much less drive down to Shoreline. Maybe after I get back we can all get together and fly. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

KuRev and Reved, did you two get together to fly at Shoreline that day? I'm back from convention now and free to get together to fly this weekend. No concerts at Shoreline this Sat and Sun. Anyone interested? We could also fly at the Berkeley marina if people prefer.

My first visit to Shoreline was very nice. Andrew and GF Quinn showed up with their new kite. Quinn was showing some impressive new skills flying her kite. There is a small lawn area where you can set up and fly. Another flyer named Rick also brought his newly purchased rev. It was nice to see new people learning and having fun. Fred, a familiar face from Berkeley showed up also. The winds were blowing 5-15 mph.

I might be able to get away from work and fly this weekend, but I'm not sure yet.

• Like 1