KiteLife Forum

Problem with spreader

kitetarian

My male lower spreader has been emasculated so to speak. The peg part has loosened and pushed into the spreader. I can probably find something to push it back out again but I don't know how to fix it in place. Epoxy? I'm sure this is a result of hitting the ground too many times the wrong way with a not-quite-seated spreader. Learning is frustrating... although, I did a flic flac today; which was pretty cool. Thanks in advance for the help.

Once you poke it out with something like a straightened coat hangar, just use super glue, krazy glue, whatever glue you have along those lines. make sure you get 50% in the spreader, and 50% sticking out before it sets... it sets fast.

• Like 1

Yep - super glue works, just mark the halfway point, start the ferrule in the rod, glue and slide into place. An easy way to mark halfway is to use masking tape right up at the mark. All the excess glue will end up on the tape, easy to remove tape and have a clean joint. Check afterwards to make sure the rods butt up clean, if not, dress with a file or sandpaper.

• Like 2

Are we talking about a dual-line kite here? If so, the ferrule probably feeds through the center T, so you'd want to account for the width of the T when determining how far to push the ferrule back into the tube when you're re-gluing it (i.e., you don't want to go all the way to the halfway point on the ferrule). The idea is that you want to get approximately the same amount of ferrule inside each tube when the kite is assembled.

I'm a big fan of the masking tape method Wayne described. It works really well and helps ensure that you get everything glued at the perfect distance before the glue sets.

It's also well worth your effort to use some fine sandpaper to remove all of the old glue before you attempt to re-glue it. This improves the reliability of the new glue joint and helps prevent the same kind of failure from happening again.

-Brian

• Like 2

Food for thought: super glue is a brittle adhesive that will, due to rod flexing, break down over time.

Here's what I posted on the Rev forum last year:

A couple of years back, at Kite Party, Laura pulled out her Zen on a very light wind day. The ferrule had come loose and rendered the kite useless.

She had paid for a ticket to travel across the US, paid for a number of nights in a very nice motel, paid for her meals, even paid for the darn Zen ... but, because of a simple loose ferrule, all that money was wasted on that morning. Epoxy is not overkill ...

I'd even coach you to go further: 1) remove the dried glue from the ferrule and sand the glued half to increase bondage ... then degrease with a solvent 2) clean the inside of the rod (tube) with a roll of sandpaper or a gun cleaning brush ... then degrease with a solvent 3) apply a thin coat of epoxy to the inside of the rod and the sanded end of the ferrule 4) insert the ferrule, twisting it slowly as you insert it to about a quarter inch from the correct depth, clean off the excess epoxy and then insert it to the correct depth ... then tape the ferrule in place until the epoxy dries. When done like this, I've yet to have one come loose.

One of the Skyshark 8P tubes on the spreader for a DC Coyne kite split this spring. Tried to get the ferrule out inorder to use the now shorter tube in another location. I could not get the ferrule out of the tube ... it had been installed like the above recommendation.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...