KiteLife Forum

Does anyone know what type of kites these are?

pickensw

In the first pic, looking at the closest kite, it doesn't look too much like wood spars. The three kites above the closest one looks wood. It seems they may be a mix. Maybe the person put carbon in the first kite due to the stress on it.

In the first pic, looking at the closest kite, it doesn't look too much like wood spars. The three kites above the closest one looks wood. It seems they may be a mix. Maybe the person put carbon in the first kite due to the stress on it.

Could also be fiberglass tubes in the front kite, sort of looks yellow?

Oooo! Ummm! Looks very interesting. When I got my first six TRLBY kites they were not really assembled as a stack. After the first flight in fifteen mile an hour winds, & gusting higher, I realized I needed to strengthen the frame of the front kite. When flying low & straight down wind the tail section of the front kite would fold under a bit. While it was kind of disturbing I kept flying the new stack anyway. Back in the shop I replaced the fiberglass spine with a slightly larger diameter pultruded carbon fiber tube. Had to ream the fittings a bit but it was a successful modification. I also noticed that I did have a heavier bridle so I also added that change. I have since added three more TRLBY kites to the stack & all is well. In my five stack of Nexus kites the frames are all the same but I did add a second bridle to double up the one on the front kite. If you get these kites & decide they're not your cup of tea, send me a personal message. I would love to have a stack like these & would make you a good offer.

Well I just got off the phone with the guy and he picked these up yrs ago and they have only been flown once and then put away into storage.

They are wooden dowels. He also said that one of the strings broke from the handle when he was flying it because it was quite windy so he packed them up and never flew them again.

I will be getting them and the wife will shoot me when I pick them up.

Will

• Like 5

Wow, for less than $100, you couldn't go wrong ! I saw a stack of about 25 of these one year at Wildwood.... very impressive ! I have a stack of 3 Hyperkites that are pretty beat up, but make a nice mobile hanging from my son's bedroom ceiling.

*edit*... glad you grabbed them up ! They should be a blast, but kinda hard to hide from your wife ! 8)

I will be getting them and the wife will shoot me when I pick them up.

Will

Just tell her you've already been offered more than you've paid for them & I'll confirm if needed. Plus, she may have to help you launch this long stack. Spectators love em. I have more people comment on my stacked kite sets when I fly them than all my other kites combined. Lean back & enjoy these beauties my friend....SHBKF

• Like 1

My daughter just dropped them off around noon. I took a few min during lunch to look at them. They look really good.

Below are a few questions I have...

There are new padded handles included. Is this the best thing to have?

One of the tails has been tied on because it tore thru the attachment loop(are those price tag plastic attachment loops suppose to stay on).

The lower frame (graphite) on the lead kite is missing. Is there suppose to be one? All the rest of the kites are wooden frame. The graphite seams kind of loose in the plastic holders.

They are in a big rubbermaid tote, what does one normally use to store these?

Does anyone have or know where to get the instructions for these Hyper Kites 24pm?

Thanks for all the replys.

Will

Once you fly the stack you will appreciate the padded handles, yes, you will want those. The loops are ok, so is tying the tails -- you can sew in a new loop, or just tie on -- your choice. Yes, you will need the lower frame member, graphite or not, graphite is stronger (and lighter). The sail on the leading kite is likely to stretch more than the others, so a bit longer to tighten the sail would be good. As far as storage goes, whatever you want to put them in will work for you. The rubbermaid container is fine, as long as it stays dry inside. You can use some dessicant to absorb any moisture, so the sails don't get mildewed.

I hope this helps a little bit. I'm sure others will help you with your questions more than I can.

• Like 2

Well I just got back in the house from checking the lines. The line that broke (I was told) actually just came untied from the wrist strap. It is a big piece of nylon cord with an over hand knot. The spectra lines were uneven by almost 12", sleeving is done with 6" of material. I will work on fixing both those tonight.

Anyone out there have the measurements of the lower and upper frame rods from their lead kite? I have to make a lower one.

Thanks everyone for all the information. Can't wait to get these into the air!

Will

Contact Don at Kites Unlimited. They are long time dealer of hyper kites and only current supplier. Good friends with the designer. He'll know what you need or can make it and send it to you. Don is great resource on all thinks kite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Update....

I have been talking with Don at Kites Unlimited but he has been real busy with the kite festival a few weeks back so I hope to get things nailed down soon. I did find a tent pole repair kit that has the same size diameter rod as the upper cross member but it is a little shorter than what I think it should be so I am going to try a stack of 3 or 4 or more and see how it does this weekend. Waiting is not a virtue of mine!

Hope to have some wind on Friday or Saturday.

Will

• Like 2

Sent you the measurements off my stack. We had to leave town right after the festival so I just got a chance to measure the spars.

I store my stacks in a bag specially shaped for the hypers. Haven't seen any at the kite shop for a while so I'm not sure they're still available.

Karen M.