KiteLife Forum

Questions on this SLK....

Hasek

I picked up this dragon kite and need to get line, stake, and a winder. I have no idea what strength line to get or about staking it down.

I am thinking the Shanti Windbreaker for the winder although I am also consider a hoop. If the kite doesn't pull a bunch, the hoop would be less cost.

This kite is about 17 feet wide and about six feet tall. When I set it up for the attached pics, the wind was gusting to about 7-9 mph and the dragon wanted to fly :blue_smile: .

How about staking it down? I saw some methods at some web site about double stakes and other methods. I've also seen the dog stake. How about larks heading around a piece of 90 degree bent rebar?

As for launching it, a very knowledgeable person in kite history said to let the line out and then launch it. I don't believe she flies, or at this point in her very experienced life. What would be the benefit of letting the line out then launching rather than just launching right off the spool?

I don't know how much pull the kite will have and just want to fly it safely.

gallery_5188_345_491940.jpg

post-5188-0-97544000-1414448471_thumb.jp

post-5188-0-98149400-1414448480_thumb.jp

post-5188-0-66240500-1414448493_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That's an amazing looking kite... an BIG, too. I would fly it on ~300# line, maybe heavier if the wind is high. Not knowing it's top rated range, I wouldn't fly it in winds above 15mph. Look for a day ~10mph to see how it flies, and that will give you an idea how it will fly in higher winds. With a 17' wingspan, I would expect it to be able to fly in winds starting around 5mph.

A dog stake might be strong enough to hold it if it's screwed all the way in to solid dirt, but a fool-proof way is to use a strap and carabiner. The Wind Breaker bobbin is a really good bet, as you have to use a separate cleat with a hoop spool. The Wind Breaker is it's own cleat. The best way to launch a big kite that I know of is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZFN-6ZXIM&list=UUrEMVTjF2Yh5aCjWO_qp8-Q

Just substitute the sand-anchor for whatever you're going to use. Also, notice that I am using a piece of driftwood as a cleat in the video, and not the Wind Breaker itself.

Yes, I should've mentioned that a carabiner on a strap or a pulley is even a better method. I've used the heavy leather gloves for years, first for digging the hole (even though I have a collapsible shovel in the bag) and then for handling the line. There's always a place for improvements, I still haven't invested in a pulley. You can actually see the burn marks in the palms of the gloves from the line in the video. It's no joke... you NEED gloves when handling larger kites ! Cuts from flying line really hurts...

This is stuff (hardware) that you can suspend yourself over a canyon with, should you choose. They will surely handle walking down a kite. The pulley flips open, so you can quickly insert the line, close it, and hook in the carabiner on a strap. Make sure the line is in the center of the pulley, then simply walk towards the kite. Once you arrive at the kite, simply disconnect it from the line, deal with the kite (take apart), then go back to your anchor point and wind in the line.

If the pull from the kite isn't too severe, you can simply clip the carabiner over the line, and walk it down without the pulley, however, the pulley does cut down on line friction and abrasion.

Both can be found here: (and shipping is always free)

http://www.silvertipmountaincenter.com/silvertipmountaincenter_i4775349.html?catId=126216

post-4670-0-62371500-1414755959_thumb.jp

http://www.silvertipmountaincenter.com/silvertipmountaincenter_i9798717.html?catId=126216

post-4670-0-06926100-1414755970_thumb.jp

That is the exact pulley I was thinking of when reading this post earlier. I have one from my caving days & have personally bet my life on it several times. But most times it was used for a mechanical advantage while hauling gear up or down vertical drops. The fact that it can easily be opened & added to an already anchored line is an important feature. Great choice Nick. SHBKF