KiteLife Forum

Kap'n Halloween !

RobB

Since it was Halloween today, I took off early so I could get home & go trick-or-treating with the kids. Well, I got off a little too early, and had my lunch at the beach. Not that I hadn't Kap'd this spot before, I used this opportunity as practice, and maybe the hope of getting a few good shots.

G0052098.jpg

This is the fishing pier at the end of my flying beach. You can see what a popular place it is once the temperature goes below 70*

G0052130.jpg

I decided to let out more line than I usually do. The grey almost-November sky kinda tells the story of how unpleasant the 15mph breeze fealt. Yeah... wasn't it just summer last week ?

G0052146.jpg

Maybe you can see why this is one of the best spots to fly on the North Shore of Long Island... it's an actual isthmus... I mean where do you see that word, other than on an SAT test ? The wind is good from just about any direction.

G0052243.jpg Reeling the kite back in... I'm using a strong strap tied to the dock railing to hold the pull of the kite. Just like reeling in a big fish, I walk back, and then walk forward while reeling the winder. The Power Sled 24 is a beast to reel in straight, hand over hand.

G0052247.jpg

Almost there...

G0052250.jpg

And a close-up of how the WindBreaker winder can be used as a cleat to hold the line. It's just a couple of figure-8 winds, and the last one looped over. Just like a cleat on a dock...

• Like 5

Thanks, Nick... there have definitely been better days to fly there. Not like it's winter cold, yet, but the wind kinda cuts through you when it's damp & cold. This was just ahead of the weekend storm up here...

The heavy purple strap is in my main SLK gear bag (a large duffle with many spools of line, a half dozen sand anchors, dogstakes, collapsible shovel, gloves straps, carabiners, etc...), I carry the simple rope strap in my KAP backpack. The backpack has only one sand anchor, one strap, gloves, flying line, 2 foil kites, and KAP rig. Not everything you could ever need, but enough for most situations.

I was setup & ready to fly the other day in an awesome spot overlooking Manhattan, but didn't have the wind to get the foil kite flying. I was thinking of Scott with his Triton... he would've come back with pictures that day, I came back empty handed ! :cat_shy:

• Like 2

I was setup & ready to fly the other day in an awesome spot overlooking Manhattan, but didn't have the wind to get the foil kite flying. I was thinking of Scott with his Triton... he would've come back with pictures that day, I came back empty handed ! :cat_shy:

Yep..........you could count on Scott !

• Like 1

Beautiful Rob. I'm jealous of your local area, even if the summer beach goers drive you nuts. And possible hurricanes and all. Spectacular as always. Keep 'em flying.

p.s. I'm so jealous of your Berkeley Rev.

Thank you... the great flying conditions almost make it worth living here. If I could spend more time at the beach, it would make it totally worth it. Summer is only one season out of four... you can see from the pictures that the beach isn't very popular during fall, winter & spring. Mine mine mine ! Gimme gimme gimme !

If we could just have a lull in the weekend storms, I might get some real flying in... Hurricanes are infrequent & exciting when they do come, but we have 2 or more storms a month that have winds around 50mph. They all seem to be coming on the weekends this year !

If you like the Berk Rev, you might want to contact Tom @ Highline kites, he may have a few still stashed away...

• Like 1

That's just my regular wind and the kite...15mph is pumpin for me here and i would not have anything flying (other than a rev)

Looks like a cool spot for flying anything :) Good seeing you venture outside your norm and push the envelope :) There are alot of days I struggle far longer than most...but all it takes is that 1 breeze that gets me high enough...usually results in some cool pics also. I did the same with Revs. Something about the ability to fly when others can't has been a drive in my learning. ...and quite gratifying sometimes ;)

I do generally tether my kite and walk it down now, except for emergency and congested areas. Alot less twisting build up in the line and easier/quicker.

A framed kite...genki, delta, dc...which you know...will allow you a greater window and more ease of mind with letting line out. Vary rarely will it "fall" out of the sky in low wind. More float like a leaf. I have had the Triton turn away and towards the ground a few times. Just have to learn..ride with it and wish for the best :P

Still have not tried a sled for Kap.

I need to find a kite for that wind less than 5mph. The Sled was no use, I tried for a half hour, just couldn't get the sled up over 20 feet in the air. Normally I would've been flying an UL or SUL. I don't have a Delta kite that I trust for KAP. The Ghost Deltas are the best fliers that I have, but not really appropriate for KAP. The other Deltas I have are unreliable in the air, I certainly wouldn't trust them holding my camera over the water.

The DoPeRo might do the trick, but it is big to carry around & time consuming to setup. I've only had one successful flight with it, there will be more testing before it gets to hold a camera.

I don't know... standing in a water-front park in the Bronx with a perfect view of Manhattan and a kite that wouldn't fly was the most frustrated I've ever been with this KAP hobby. Almost as frustrating as showing up, getting the kite flying and finding the camera battery to be dead !

:ani_giveup:

• Like 2

Honestly....that dopero should do the job. I have seen it used many times before with a heavier payload then what you have.

If i had a choice for low wind....dopero would be it. I never flew the gomberg with a payload , but on setup and what not...it produces good pull and lift. To be honest...I will probably get one when i can. The Jones Airfoil is just out of my range.

There is more setup for them, but well worth it in my opinion. (Low wind)

The rods may have been changed in the one I flew..not quite sure.

If money is not an issue. Jones Airfoil #1 Great kite..well made..top notch materials and craftsmanship.