KiteLife Forum

Upper wind range for kite flying

NWkiteluv

I'm curious about the upper wind range on my Widow Maker standard. I recently got this kite and today was one of those choppy, gusty days where winds were all over the place. One minute everything was perfect (even below perfect) and the next winds were gusting to the point that I was wondering if it was OK to still have it up in the air. When the wind was gusting I would get to the edge of the window, which was considerably larger, well behind my shoulders, Not great flying conditions I realized but I really want to fly my kite! I reviewed the weather station wind chart later and it had said that things didn't get above 15mph. I recognize that these instruments are not always accurate and may not reflect what winds are doing up higher. I guess my question is when do you pack it up or fly something else? Or am I just being paranoid?

windspeed is almost always measured at least 300 feet high, frequently 500. In my town we take the announced speed on the weather station and divide it by three,.... that's what to expect.

The "coastal environment" offers wind that can reach all the way down to your ankles, inland that is not always the case. Flying in the upper wind range of a kite is a pilot-interaction timing thing, you might have to suddenly give ground or fly high up and off to the side. Lead-footed can cause breakage!

Be afraid when the frame is distorting significantly in the center of the window and the lines are singing loudly all over the place.

You could add some windscreens to slow the kite down, (affixed to framing or between the bridle and the lines ~or~ try a heavier thickness of flying lines all together!)

If you have to fly that kite TODAY, regardless of the conditions (we have all been there!) use the edge of the window and respect the power of a sudden gust.

enjoy

• Like 3

I also experience those kinds of conditions. There is plenty of wind here, but it is only clean at certain times of the day, unless I can get to the beach. I often take out my widow ng in conditions that push well above it's rating. I just make sure the bridle is set to dump as much wind as possible, put on the wind screens, and have the tail weight in. The limits of safety for me is when the kite is just starting to drag me forward. It can handle a little more than that before snapping but I always run forwards when launching in the center just in case. The wind whistles wildly in the lines at all points of the window :) I should probably get a dedicated high wind kite...

So I guess to answer your question: give yourself room to run forward if a big gust catches you in the center, and ride out prolonged gusts on the edge. also wind screens are a good idea, I really like the way they feel even at mid range speeds.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to look into a wind screen as I think that might help. Also thanks Paul for the knowledge about weather stations and wind speed. Definitely stuff I've been wondering about since I got into kiting. I'm really having an excellent time with it! :blue_smile:

• Like 2

I didn't see mention of this, but your widow has adjustments on the upper leg of your bridle, closest to the leading edge if you did not, you can move out to the knot closer to you further away from the kite to take some of that pull out of the kite. Remember though to move back inwards in lighter winds , as you can successfully fly your widow in 3 mph.

• Like 3

Was up early the morning this question was presented. I was tempted to give the first response but held back because I knew there would be better answers from my KiteLife friends. Not only did they confirm my experience but they explained it better & took me a bit further in my kite knowledge. Thanks to my friends I can fly more often, fly a bit better & understand what is occurring. I enjoy flying when the lines are singing & have a good selection of broken tubes. Thank you all again Kite Masters. SHBKF

• Like 3

I haven't tinkered with the bridal yet but it looks easy enough to adjust. I got to fly in 3-6mph today and what can I say, it's a really nice kite! I love how it sounds in the air especially in the 5-10 range. Much quieter and taught sail compared to the hypnotist that I was flying which I have also enjoyed but it was a lot of work to fly in less than 5mph and really needed more. I also had a hard time getting the larks head knot to stay where I wanted it to on the hypnotist for the light wind knot. It would always slip back down. This bridal set up looks like it shouldn't do that very easily. I'm already getting more flight time with the widow because of its lower range and I'm picking up some new tricks too. Very excited about it! :kid_content:

• Like 1

I hear ya Dayhiker! I like the high wind flying too. Lines singing and totally exhilarating! Makes me scared with such a pricey kite though! I have some less expensive ones that I'll put up (including a Delta Hawk thanks for the tip on that one, read about it here) to fly when it's crazy out! Total blast! I'm sure I'll break some parts too in time.

• Like 1

IMHO

Dual Line 2-9 MPH

Quad Line 6-18 MPH

A Cold One 20+ MPH

Reported Wind Speeds are 20 ft. Unless they specify upper level or transport winds. If you link to a Remote Automated Weather Station the anemometer is on a 20 ft tower and reports a 10 minute average and a peak wind speed every hour.

http://mesowest.utah.edu

Be sure to select "All Networks"

@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

• Like 1

I have to agree that much past 10mph gets a little fast for tricks. But I strongly disagree with when the cold one comes out! I like mine in a koozie in most wind conditions. Especially on a hot day! Unless it's chilly out in which case I'll switch to tea! Thanks for the link! :blue_wink:

I also own a Widowmaker Standard, and a local experienced pilot in my area told me that this kite is good until 12 mph winds. Based on my experience flying it, he is probably correct. Often times, there are stronger, gusty winds at the field where I fly, and I fly my Premier Widow NG or my Wolf NG instead of my widow maker. The stronger winds abuse the kite too much, and I would rather beat up the Widow NG and Wolf NG, instead of the widowmaker

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When the sand starts blowing across the sand, it's time to look for something else to do. The xtra vent Revs are great in high winds, but when it becomes no fun, it's no fun.

Most of the time, high wind is not the problem. In over 10 years of Rev flying, we have only been blown off the beach a few times times.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...