KiteLife Forum

music editing

Backspin23

Hello,

I found a real good song to fly to, however I only like the first 3 minutes. And the song is 7 minutes long!! so how would i edit the song to stop after 3 minutes? apparently it is a MPEG 4 file but i believe it is also protected, so would i even be able to edit it at all :)

Thanks for your help

JD

Well, editing audio is what I do for a living.

Send me an email audiolabs [at] gmail [dot] com with the music and instrions and Ill send it right back.

Same goes for anyone else who wants any a/v help with their kite productions :)

If you're big on DIY, the best free solution...

1. http://www.dbpoweramp.com download the music converter and install it.

2. Download and install the blade codec from codec central on the same website. (blade is free, but not as "high" quality as lame which is default with dbpoweramp but does cost money) also download the mp4 codec

3. Goto http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and download audacity 100% free. install it!

4. Get into windows explorer and right click your mp3 or other music file (you may need to download additional codecs). You will see a new option "convert to", click it.

5. In the dbpoweramp conversion window, select wave, 16-bit 44.1khbz. And convert it.

6. Open the wave file in audacity and do your editing (use the help file folks! rtfm!)

7. Right click your newly saved wave file and convert it to whichever format you require...

More or less done. I left out some more specific parts because some systems and circumstances are different. Dbpoweramp and Audacity are 100% free from the wonderful programmers who made them. Not bad for free :)

If you run Os X or any linux distro let me know and Ill write a step by step for either as well.

Also please keep in mind, publically distributing copyrighed material is illegal and depending on who you talk to "immoral". So I will just assume you have the artist/band's permission to use their material. :)