KiteLife Forum

Kit Bag

povlhp

Fishing rod bags work well, lots of useful/long pockets to put stuff in. I use a fishing rod bag as my main bag to store all my kites in but usually if I just go down to my local field I use a small roll up bag I made myself that just holds 3-4 kites and lines.

DSCF0217.JPG

I use a Rev bag for my Revs, lots already said. Its perfect for them as you'd expect. If they ever make an XL version, I think that might break me...

For my duals and SLK's I use a Prism roll up bag. Really good. I have it folded in half with the kites fully broken down and roll it up inside my Rev bag. I will, however, over Christmas put it to full length and leave the LE's unbroken.

• Like 2

So no backpacks for now. You all drive right up to where you play.

Thinking of using my back back when going on the bike. With longe kites sticking out.

If you are just taking a couple of kites just strap them to the cross bar like I do.

PIC_0304.JPG

• Like 7

Some backpacks have vertical sleeves, open on both ends & equipped with cinch straps, to allow you to slip your skis in them. Other packs have attachment loops & straps for carrying ice axes. I like to carry kites with me while backpacking. Never know when you might get a chance to put up a sail. I tend to favor small light ones that aren't too long so I don't catch them on brush & trees. This Spring I intend to take a Rev SLE along & see if the heavy leading edge tube can be used as an effective tarp pole.

• Like 1

Some backpacks have vertical sleeves, open on both ends & equipped with cinch straps, to allow you to slip your skis in them. Other packs have attachment loops & straps for carrying ice axes. I like to carry kites with me while backpacking. Never know when you might get a chance to put up a sail. I tend to favor small light ones that aren't too long so I don't catch them on brush & trees. This Spring I intend to take a Rev SLE along & see if the heavy leading edge tube can be used as an effective tarp pole.

The SLE leading edge tube makes a great wading staff if you use a bit of paper to jam the ferrules together.

I use a snowboard bag. Mine doesn't have 'em, but believe some do come with shoulder straps. I would think they might be too long and the bag would not clear the rear wheel unless you kinda angle the bag someway. Maybe try to find one with a single strap that you can put over your shoulder and sling over your back. Not this bag, but carry like this:

baguettebag2.jpg

Maybe a snowshoe bag like this. The Revs would stick out the top, but that shouldn't be a problem if you can secure the three other sides.

MSRSnowshoeBag3.jpg

Another option might be to configure out a way to strap a 4" diameter (or whatever size) piece of PVC to your bike. If you have a rear rack that would make things a whole lot easier. You can figure something out with a bungee along the lines, but much simpler, of the setup in the pic below of my homemade panniers. Some sort of hook or two attached to the top of the pvc that hook over the outer perimeter rail of the rack. Then a bungee that hooks to the bottom of the rack.

post-5188-0-30400800-1419309286_thumb.jp

I also use the bags from Into the Wind. I have the 48" which I use as my "B" bag for single lines and smaller kites. For my "A" bag I use the 62" which has all my full size dual line kites with the leading edge still assembled and they fit just fine.

I use Prism Roll-up bags, ITW long bag and cheap HQ bags. I've had to sew the HQ bags a few times, but what do you expect for $20 ? The Prism roll-ups have proven to be pretty durable, although after about 10 years, my main bag is showing some serious signs of wear. Still holds kites, though...

As far as slinging it over your shoulder & riding a bike, yes, a roll-up or the ITW duffle style bags work like the picture above, just not comfy for a long ride.

buy a cheap folding lawn chair and when it breaks you'll keep that bag for your kites.

Eventually a perfect kite bag becomes the next thing on your acquisition list. You'll think about about all the bags you've seen and what features might be most appropriate personally. Do you want a tarp based item that rolls up, or a sling, or a hard-sider, what about a backpack?

I use the roll-up bag from Rev, a tarp that's cut down to just fit me and my tail feathers if I choose to sit on the ground. When flying I use on the bags John recommended, you put the kite bag in the fill up the rest of the space with your clothes and crap bulking and padding the kite bag. It's on wheels with stout handles, easy in and out of a rental car or shuttle. The hard-siders are nice because you can insure their contents when traveling, but also they are more awkward. I can't tell you how many times one of us has had to ride with the darn thing across our laps!

We use a filed hockey stick bag. It easily holds 8-10 Revs.

The one we bought was the Gryphon Thin Finn. Last years model can be found for less than $50.

I did have to make one cut through the nylon divider (in a shorter section) to allow the Revs to pass through.

It also has a padded back pack section to make for easy carrying.