KiteLife Forum

I didn't know you could fly indoor duals or quads one-handed!?

flexikite

I was there for this!! Sunday morning during the "Hot Tricks" shoot out!

I can fly forward one-handed pretty well, it's the backwards that I'm still struggling on doing! Lot of handle control going on with that one hand, still need to get that feel for it going in reverse! Work in progress!!

PS: that's my R/W/B Indoor Rev in the background!!

indoor sport kite flying is not difficult, just different. Those soon to be obtained skills transfer well to outdoors in low/no wind conditions as well.

If you have the correct equipment and enough room to move around using it, it's great fun. The conditions are usually always the same too, .... 360 degrees around is your window, plus up & overs so you can stand more centralized, catch your breath on occasion. One of the key skills is which way you'll move personally so you don't get trapped into a corner!

there are single line gliders and fighter kites that are highly moveable, maybe even flown on a magic wand (a stick makes your arm instantly longer) if your giving lessons to kids or just extraordinarily lazy. A dedicated indoor sport kite is very delicate though, so plan to "crash gently" whenever possible.

The toughest part about indoor flying is where can you practice regularly. I live nearby Washington DC, a huge metropolitan area and we can't snag a spot to save our own lives!

• Like 1

Technique? Not that far into thinking about it! Putting 2 handles in one hand and trying to figure out the control inputs gets confusing, I mostly am doing it by feel now! Keeping the sail trimmed for movement seems to be my key - which handle to nudge a bit for more lift or to back down because it's rising too much! Remember that this was done with Rev handles - about 14" long and not those sticks you are using that are 3'! Just as sensitive for the kites we fly, to their orientation in your hands!

The toughest part about indoor flying is where can you practice regularly. I live nearby Washington DC, a huge metropolitan area and we can't snag a spot to save our own lives!

Paul

You need to look for older churches that have gyms attached. Usually the budgets are so tight that even an extra $50/week from gym rental is significant to them and only $5 a piece spread over 10 people flying. If one of the guys actually goes to that church, then you might even get it for free. (Yes, I have a key to my church gym and permission to come and go if I don't disturb anyone else.)

Kelly

• Like 1

Are there any dual or quadliners that can be used in small spaces like where you see the Iflite being flown?

I'm guessing you would need a minimum of 30' square to do a quad comfortably. Most of us use 10' lines x 2, plus some for a body. Overhead at least 10' plus your outstretched arms and body height = 20' +/-. Most small school gyms will hold 2 dualie or quad fliers at a time, 3 in a pinch maybe.

Remember that quads or dualies move at a much different rate than an iFlite, plus use more body motion to stay aloft!

location is everything!

everything around here is booked ALWAYS with some ongoing indoor activity, the schools, gyms, covered tennis courts, indoor soccer field, etc. Our kite club could pay $150 for an hour (say at the soccerplex), but we can not commit to regularly monthly/weekly scheduled times in big chunks, so that eliminates us from any possible consideration.

That's why I suggest older churches. Most have seen the congregations (& budgets!) dwindle so they have empty times and the need for help to keep the lights on.

By older I don't mean the historical stone buildings downtown- I mean the 50's - 60's - 70's boxes that were filled with boomer families that have grown up and moved on. They are the ones that have the gyms and spaces that are no longer in demand for their original purposes and are ripe for a little creative re-use.

• Like 2

I got lucky and found an unused (in the afternoon) indoor soccer field! Talked with management that had seen some of Connor Doran's videos from AGT! So they were sympathetic to what I wanted to do and here it is nearly 4 years later!! Now the owner introduces me to all the new employees as a regular there! And I take full advantage of any time they have open! Just can't do nights or weekends, too full doing it's stated purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that's gotta be awesome to fly within such a large indoor space.

Look on YouTube under the name Morgan Boulette to see some videos of the field! Morgan is a beginner to indoor flying, oops even outdoor!! But he does great photos and videos! Most show me either flying my Rev or his!

I have a place at work I can use. 80x100 ft. Ceiling like 5 meters. Some junk for storage in a corner. Otherwise used for large meetings where they roll in chairs.

Seen quad copter pilots uses parking garages at IKEA at evening/night. But they usually have too low ceiling for kites. Try to be creative.