KiteLife Forum

Rockford Illinois kite shop?

pickensw

I will be in the Rockford area at the end of the month and was wondering if there is a shop where I can find some Rev items? I am looking to get a new LE. I only have the SLE set for my 1.5.

Thanks,

Will

Nothing in Rockford that I am aware of, Will. You would have to drive to Chicago Kite (aka Kite Harbor) in Chicago, at Harlem and Higgins, about 1.5 hours east of Rockford. Other closest would be Gift of Wings in Milwaukee. I recommend purchasing on-line. There are many online-only dealers, but all the brick-and-mortar stores will be happy to ship also. Pick one closest to where you live, as pricing won't vary much among them. You can also buy directly from Revolution Kite. Get on the Rev forum and call or message Lolly. (She loves talking to kite fanatics.)

P.S. -- Kitebuilder.com/frame has graphite tubing (Skyshark, i.e.), with which you could build your own frames. You would have to install the ferrules, as they are sold as tubes, and not completed frames. They may have completed frames, but I have not checked on parts at their site lately. Now that I've thought of it, I'll check and repost.

Like Mark says Rockford to Chicago kites is roughly a 150 mile round trip, I think usps priority mail right to your door would be much cheaper. Gas in and out of the tank, time on the road, hoping for not too much snow on the road driving for 3 leading edge tubes, Personally I too, would pick up the phone instead, and say, send me a leading edge.

and yet John, we all use Skyshark tubes occasionally in something made by Rev, even you

~ Be that a tapered spar as in the 1.5s (for down tubes as an example, cut down to end at the bottom of the sail too! ~ thereby pushing weight and the balance point more towards the leading edge)

~ Some kiting friends are just as happy with p-90s as the leading edge tubes as I am using the new Diamonds, Paul Dugard comes to my mind immediately, he's either on Green Race or p-90s with his 1.5s

~ None of us complain when the Rev2/ B-2 is outfitted with p-90s, it's more responsive and lighter in weight, flies just as well as Rev tubed, if not better than certainly different.

~ Some favor the 2 wrap tubes as well, but there's no comparison with Rev's Diamonds for a ultra snappy response and lighter weight. If you haven't compared 'em,... how could you know about their superiority? I stuck Scott Weider on a set, so he would seriously consider them for the Rider team kites when conditions are challenging.

You get used to something and change seems unnecessary, . . . . yet it is inevitable.

Stiffness matters (diamonds vs p-90s comparison being quoted here) but rapid response (the "snappiness") as a personal preference and your wallet's thickness may also have an impact. Can you afford $30 individual sticks, even if they are the greatest thing ever? You could buy tapered 2-P spars from Skyshark blemished for a couple of dollars INCLUDING the freight! Retail is probably under a ten-spot each for p-90s. Yeah you gotta' cut em down to size and ferule, but the price!

Where the frame bends when loaded hard is also a factor of response. Maybe your kite bends in the middle, but mine all bend on the outer thirds. I could use a stiffer tube in the center for weight, but it has little impact on the bending aspect . I use a hybrid frame on some Shook kites. It's a travel frame configuration, the center two sections are Green race and the outer four pieces are Diamonds. Flies fine until you demand it to fill with air instantly, then it's like a supercharger on your kite.

Heck I still carry a set of SLEs too, imagine a "throw" on those tubes, it's like a javelin instead of a willow branch. You can throw it thru other folks lines intentional nesting. Short lines make it completely reliable, thrown directly at the stroller while momma-san and the child shout & giggle. That stiffness is caused as much by the fat diameter as the raw materials selected & wall strength/thickness.

Thanks Everyone!

With out having a kite shop here in Idaho I was just hoping to get in the door and see some new stuff. We are headed to Belvidere on the 29th for my wife's sister birthday and we will have 2 full days there. Not sure what our plans are but if there was a shop in the area(Chicago/Schaumburg/Rockland) I would stop in. We are flying in and out of Madison, WI.

Thanks for the advice.

PS I really don't mind paying shipping but would really like to talk about kites to someone in person! I have been known to drive 300 miles for free corals. Talk about spendy shipping!

• Like 1