KiteLife Forum

Bringing a newbie in

Nick Russell

We were visiting my son and his wife in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for the last week, and I had the opportunity to introduce him to the sport of kite flying with my Prism Snapshot 1.9 speed foil. Saturday we had winds of about 8-10 mph, enough to get it up in the air and give him a feel for it. But Sunday winds were 12-14 with gusts to 20, perfect to give him a real workout. It didn't take very long for him to get the hang of it and begin doing some basic maneuvers. Not much longer and he had an ear to ear grin and was telling his wife he needed one of those!

• Like 9

Similar deal here......I took my son-in-law-to-be out last year to fly my Symphony 1.8 and 2.2. When we got back to the apartment, he was online shopping for his own and bought a Symphony Beach 1.4. Fortunately for him, there is an incredible place to fly a kite right next door to were they live.

• Like 1

I think a good way to get passed sticker shock is to point out that kiting is a relatively inexpensive hobby once the kite is bought. You can get a 1.5 for $350 usd with two frames to handle a pretty decent variety of flying conditions. Short of something bizarre, you'd only need to buy a spar and some lines every now and again.

Of course many of us here have a boat load more than $350 tied up in our bags, but it doesn't need to be that way to enjoy kiting. I'm not to up on duallies, but I am pretty sure you get a similar set up for less than a quad.

There aren't too many hobbies out there that have the low cost after initial purchase as kiting. Actually with most hobbies, costs increase as you get farther in.

• Like 2

I like getting the kids on the lines. Then I tell their parents that it's a great way to get them off their butts, away from their electronic devices, and outside for some fresh air and exercise. I get smiles from both the kids and the parents.

• Like 1