KiteLife Forum

Some February Flying...

RobB

Just had to... too many days without a good fly, and the weather doesn't look like it's getting any better any time soon. The temperature looked right, almost above freezing today, but when I got to the beach, the 20mph wind was quite sobering. At least it was a steady breeze out of the NorthEast. Yes, the leading edge of another (albeit weaker) Nor'Easter, but it hadn't started to snow & sleet yet.

The ITW Ultrafoil is proving to be a trouble-free easy flyer, it takes maybe 2 minutes to get it in the air and stays there pretty well in winds up to 25mph. I only let it up 50'-75' today, didn't want to waste too much time winding line at the end of the outing.

The Rev 1.5 full vent with 4 wrap sticks was an easy choice... well, pretty much the only choice in my bag for winds this high. I left some footage of it's true speed at the end of the video, my cold hands were having a tough time reacting fast enough...

Well, hope everyone else is getting out & flying, and hopefully a little warmer than here !

• Like 5

Enjoyed chatting with you & others this evening. Had a great session flying today in strong gusty winds with temperatures in the sunny sixties. Sure glad I have some vented kites, long lines & long tails. I always enjoy your videos Rob. Keep em coming. Hope to fly with you someday my friend.

• Like 2

Enjoyed chatting with you & others this evening. Had a great session flying today in strong gusty winds with temperatures in the sunny sixties. Sure glad I have some vented kites, long lines & long tails. I always enjoy your videos Rob. Keep em coming. Hope to fly with you someday my friend.

Hopefully we'll fly together soon, and hopefully in better weather than we've been having. 60's sounds good, but maybe a little less wind !

Gortex waterproof outer and insulation inner layers, maybe a sweat wicking base layer too, good fitting (dexterous finger-tip & grip) gloves, sound appropriate footwear and covering for your head and neck, sunglasses or if it's windy enough goggles from a motorcycle business. I look like an advertisement for LLBean\/Cabela's when it's less than 60 degrees outside, everyone's laughing, but I hate being cold, damp

That list is what I would have you invest in, if you lived nearby and asked about a used or beginner / intermediate kite. You can borrow mine or other people's kites each time we meet, but you must be comfortable outside (all day) to use them with us! There's no bad weather, only a poorly equipped kite flier. If you lived nearby and were close to my physical size I could probably dress you out of the excess apparel in the trunk of my car for an afternoon of foul weather fun. Borrowing clothes that fit and work appropriately is tougher than asking a kite club member to loan you a wing for a few hours though.

I totally agree, Paul. If you don't like the cold & always complaining about being cold, you just don't have the right gear. On the rare occasions that I have friends come out & join me at the beach, I shudder when they show up in just a sweatshirt. And that's after I tell them to dress warm. I frequently break a sweat when flying duallies in the winter.... not so much with quads, since you basically just stand there.

I agree too, however, I'm looking for extreme cold gloves, My top brands failed within 1/2 hour at 2 degrees f, those was cabelas pinnicle mittens, the gloves did the same thing after 1/2 hr @ 7+, I checked my lpg level but the tank was way over my knees but I keeped trudging through the road plowed snow.

It's all about nerve damage and the frostbite, the Menzalla gloves I wanted are sold out for th9is season.

I'm happy with waiting until April or May for my first kite fly.

There is some heavy changes coming this week in weather, I already had 150" of snow this season, Not more place for new show. I'll look at kite forums instead of trudging through hip deep snow. -4f and throwing another log on the fire/boiler.