KiteLife Forum

Anchoring Large SLK's

hyzakite

My flying area is clay.

I want to anchor several large SLK's.

The recommended lines are from 500# to 1250#.

I have several dog stakes but I don't think they would hold the big kites and have smaller kites for those stakes..

I want to put the anchors in different areas according to the wind direction.

I want to remove the anchors daily.

I thought of Eye Anchors, but maybe a few dog stakes per kite would do the same.

Most kite fliers seem to be in sand/beach areas, so, if there is any info about anchoring into dirt/clay is in your experience, help me!

I really don't know the pull of the 19' deltas or mega sleds. But I came up with a bunch of them I want to put up in the sky. And if they want to be held in the sky with 500# to 1250# string, do I need 2 or 3 connected riding mowers to hold down 1 kite?

Bulldozer ! :cat_lol:

Just kidding, but I would think that the trailer ball, on the rear of any vehicle, should take care of the issue.......... :ani_victory:

Good luck, and I'm sure that someone with a bit more expertise in this area, will eventually chime in. I usually anchor in sand, and use the typical sand anchors !

Nick, you're close to what it takes! Bulldozer! I was thinking a riding mower for 2 kites but a line on the front and one on the back would still overlap a pair of 19' delta kites.

Yep, you're going to need to anchor them further apart, than the length of a lawnmower. Good Luck.............. :ani_victory:

I made some Storm Force anchors for my FF16 on 250# and my 12' Mayan DDC on 500# line. I will try and get a pic later if needed. Mine are 12" long with 3 10" spikes on the back side of the tie-down and 2 on the tie-down side. The end spikes make an "X" in the ground. I fly on grass soccer and football fields at a local high school so they are well watered grounds. Winds can reach up to 25-30mph. I always bring them down when the FF gets jumpy.

I have had one mishap. I placed them about 25yrds apart and while I was flying my Prism 1.4, the wind picked up and before I could get to them the FF crossed the line of the DDC and it's line got cut. It only took ~10sec(if that long) and then I was chasing it across a bean field. The line was melted no fraying at all on either end!

I use to use fingerless gloves with a stretch mess on the back until one time it melted a nice thin line on the back of the glove. Full Leather Gloves NOW!

Will

You could still use sand anchors if you didnt mind the work of digging clay.

Maybe rebar..staged a couple feet apart. Several for each kite. Kite goes to the bottom of first anchor. A second line goes from top of first to the bottom of second anchor...and so on and so on. Until you have peace of mind..

Each following anchor is supporting the one in front of it.

Yep, I like sand anchors, you just gotta dig. The only problem with all those steel (metal stuff) anchors, spikes, etc. is........."IF THEY EVER DO GIVE WAY", you've now got a genuine "flying missile" on your hands, going through the atmosphere at a very high rate of speed, which of course, could put a real hurt, if not worse, on an innocent bystander...........Just take care and use good judgement, and all should be ok ! :ani_victory:

Yep, I like sand anchors, you just gotta dig. The only problem with all those steel (metal stuff) anchors, spikes, etc. is........."IF THEY EVER DO GIVE WAY", you've now got a genuine "flying missile" on your hands, going through the atmosphere at a very high rate of speed, which of course, could put a real hurt, if not worse, on an innocent bystander...........Just take care and use good judgement, and all should be ok ! :ani_victory:

That is the point of multiples until secure. A flying sand anchor would hurt a bit also ;) I am speaking of like 4 to 6' sections hammered in.
  • Like 1

I can't dig up my yard to get to clay, that would be a messy mowing next time. I have a posthole driver on my tractor, but that is hash too. I like the eye-anchors, but need to remove them daily for mowing. I'm the only maintainer for this kites in the air. And drive my mower from kite to kite to get them back flying.

Here's what a show kite friend taught me to use for the Mid-west clay flying fields. The stakes are "form stakes" that are sold at any big box home repair store. They are driven in the ground at an angle to each other and leaning back away from the kite. A loop of 1" nylon (sew or knot for the loop) is pushed through the bottom "V" and the end is then brought back over the tops of the stakes. Tie the kite off to the other end of the loop and you're good to go. The double stakes and the angles allow the kite to move sideways quite a bit before you have to move the stakes. And, most importantly, if the stakes pull out of the ground, they will come free of the nylon loop right away.

http://kitelife.com/forum/gallery/image/5585-/

• Like 3

I use Jeepsters setup and use these:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/steel%2520stake?NCNI-5

Pretty cheap and they'll never bend. Paint them safety orange so you can see them in the grass. I have a 50 year old 2lb hammer to pound them in no problem. Just knock them back and forth to loosen up when trying to get them out of the ground.

That is the point of multiples until secure. A flying sand anchor would hurt a bit also ;) I am speaking of like 4 to 6' sections hammered in.

Comprenda, my friend ! Scott, I was just saying, I think I'd rather get hit by a moving bag of sand, than a flying piece of steel. Really don't want to get slammed by either, but when an improperly planted stake comes out of the ground, it's going to be flying with a lot of speed and force. I've really never seen a sand anchor go flying, maybe sliding along across the beach, but I never saw one go flying. Of course, I haven't had any tremendous SLK's hooked to my sand anchors, either. I know there are many kites out there, that could probably launch you and me together, but I'd even rather get hit by you, than a flying piece of steel. :ani_giveup:

You're right though, if done correctly, it's most likely going to hold, under normal circumstances. Unfortunately, too many people will just go out and slap a spike in the ground, and expect it to hold the Hindenburg. You know, you just can't fix stupid............ :ani_victory: Carry on my friend - all is well !

• Like 1

In some places the ground is still too soft at 18". I can drill 36" down and in some places water starts pouring out!

Sorry about that. I don't know what kind of ground you have. I have good old clay based soil. Stakes hold like they've been welded.