KiteLife Forum

Stunt kite recommendations

gotfish1

I just got back from the beach and had a blast with my new $20 stunt kite from Amazon. This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E90IHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know there are lots and lots out there and wanted to know from the "experts" and those experienced with stunt kites what you recommend for other kites I absolutely need to have.

I'm looking for performance with an emphasis on value. I do not have a ton of money to spend on my new hobby but I know you all will make some excellent recommendations.

Thanks very much in advance. Stunt kites are about as much fun as you can have with your pants on! :o

Tell us about your most common winds... there are a number of good kites out there to recommend. Also, what price point are you looking at ? I would have a hard time recommending any kite in the sub-hundred dollar category.

Google the following: NTK kites, HQ kites, Prism kites. Tons of dual-line kites in the $60-$100 range. That price range will give you vastly more quality and durability than what you got on Amazon. Don't get me wrong, you can have boatloads of fun with that kite, but you will probably beat it to death by mid-summer, and when things break there is no manufacturer support. Not really much in kites that can do all the tricks you may want to learn eventually until you spend about $150. Tell us a dollar amount that you want to stay under and whether you are interested in more than just zooming around the sky; it would also be good to know what average wind speed is where you intend to fly most of the time. All kites have a recommend wind range, and stop being fun when it becomes too much work to make it fly. We can recommend specific makes and models if we know what you want to get out of the kite. Also realize that kites come in different sizes; small kites are fast and squirrely and large kites are slower and precise.

Some models designs pull a lot, others very little.

And you thought flying a kite was simple, didn't you, mwahahaha?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. You can't get more help anywhere else; got a question? Ask and you will be informed. If you can find an experienced flyer near you (click on maps at the top of the page), by all means hook up. We're a friendly bunch. Send a PM and arrange to meet. He/she will probably have a few you can try to help you choose wisely. Go to any kite festival you can get to. Talk to the flyers there.

• Like 1

Ok, more info. $150 or so is not out of my price "comfort" range. After all, we're all going to die with more than $150. :o

Winds at the beach in Port Aransas, TX are generally 5-25 mph, certainly depending on the day. Where I live the rest of the sane temperature months in Michigan, winds are 5-20 mph.

Your favorites in the $150 range would be appreciated. At this point, I'm not into lots of tricks but rather enjoy simply flying. I also want to use a long tail for entertaining the grandkids.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. I am sure I'll be back for more and appreciate your patience with a nubie and your vast experience and knowledge.

P.S. want to know about fishing? That's my main bag. I have lots of advice on that topic.

• Like 1

The first kite I "spent too much for" was a Prism Zephyr. It was a big investment for me at the time as I did not know how far I would go with kite flying. And the price of a Zephyr is more like $200 if you shop around or a bit more if you buy from a kite store like I did. When I first flew it I was smiling ear to ear, I could tell there was a difference. I liked it so much I soon bought a second one that was used but in a different color. But my journey through my KiteLife has brought me too many other kites to fly just one. There are many fine kites as will be recommended on further posts. Now, as my hoard of kites grows, I am still buying "just one more kite". Got another one yesterday & there is that one more in shipping somewhere out there. Best winds are coming your way. SHBKF

If you just want to fly, the Dream On from Skydog Kites is on of the best lookers in that range. Either the black or white. According to the "blurb" a quick bridle adjustment and then you can trick it too. I've got a Jammin' but a Dream on is my next 'dog.

Get a RTF (ready to fly) package that has lines and straps with it. Or be sure to include that if it doesn't come with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick brainstorm...

Look for a wingspan of 7' or more and a wrapped carbon tube frame.

Skyburner has the Freestylist, which is a great value with its excellent build quality and performance.

Prism Zephyr is a great flying and precise kite capable of tricking, and I know where you can get one for $140 new (I just don't know if I can post the name of the shop).

The Premier Widow is reported to be a good one. It is based on the Skyburner Widowmaker.

As mentioned above, Skydog has some highly rated performers with the Dream On and the Jammin'.

On the used market, tons of great kites to keep and eye out for. Reading through forums will give you some knowledge of what to look for. Some that come to mind are: Top of the Line North Shore Radical and Hawaiian Team; Prism Quantum Pro, E2, Zephyr, Eclipse, etc; HQ Jam Session, Tramontana; just to list a few.

Foils are great to look at too. HQ, Prism, Skydog, Premier all sell them. They are fun to fly, store in a bag and won't break in a crash. Simple foils that are dual line and in the 1.5 to 2 meter size range are the way to go just starting out. The aerodynamic power will amaze you.

• Like 2

Look at manufacturers' catalogs on-line. Check wind range, size, how hard it pulls and adjustability for tricks and wind conditions. A Prism Zephyr for $140 as etully mentioned above is a great deal, assuming it comes with lines and straps. I had one and loved it. Whatever you buy, read the instructions and take them to the field with you. No point getting out there and not remembering how to set it for current conditions. All of the other kites he mentioned would be great too. It just depends on what you want and what strikes you as a color combo you can live with. Kites that have two stand-offs per side will give you finer adjustment capability for wind speed, although most of the adjustment is in the bridle. Do get one with an adjustable bridle.

All in all, it doesn't matter what you get. If the bug bites you good you'll be getting more.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2

First of all, My apologies for being blunt... Take this from someone who bought 10+ entry level kites when I started flying... they were all a waste of $$$. Why do I say that ? Because they were flown very little (either because they broke easily (New Tech Kites) or performed poorly). All of them sit neglected in my basement. If I could have a do-over, I would buy one quality kite and fly it until the wings came off. That would take you down the road 3-5 years, and by that time, you would know what you wanted next. The kite you have is enough to learn the basics of keeping the kite in the air, avoid bad crashes (nosedive of death), and landing under control. Once you have gotten to that point, there is no reason not to fly a quality kite. Sure, you might not take full advantage of the kite's abilities for years to come, but at least it wouldn't ever leave you wanting for more.

There is only one kite that comes to my mind when asked if I could have only one kite (desert island scenario)... that would be the Widow Maker by Skyburner. This is a kite that does everything exceptionally and is super forgiving. The nice thing about a kite like this is if you decide that kite flying's not for you, it still has residual value. You could sell it to fund whatever interests you next. Most of the entry level kites that you may be considering will have little to no value on the second-hand market.

You might cringe at the price of a Widow Maker, but it is less than 1/3 of what I spent on the 10+ kites that I flew very little. Just throwing it out there...

• Like 5

Rob has a good point, but remember, Gotfish doesn't have an interest in doing tricks. There are some good ballet/precision kites for much less. I cringe when I see other fliers pushing top end kites to start. It is a good idea to buy a quality kite, but the Widow Maker is a top end kite. There are some very good kites. Sky Dogs Dream on was mentioned or the new Thunderstuck. A Premier Widow is based on the Widow Maker but a small step below it and a large price difference. I have the previous design Widow and love it. Even a Prism Quantum or Hypnotist because they're so sturdy.

It is good to get a better kite that you won't outgrow right away or get frustrated with, but I don't think top of the line is necessary for newbies.

I guess any of the kites mentioned above would be fine to learn on. The only difference that I'd like to point out is the residual value of a quality kite. Say you fly the kite a few times and decide you don't like kite flying... you would be able to easily & quickly sell a Widow Maker for a very small loss. A used Prism Quantum would lose 50% or more of it's value quickly and be harder to sell.

The Widow Maker isn't just about tricks, either. It's an all-around kite that does everything well. You can fly precision ballet style with it, too. I consider the Widow Maker's price to be middle of the road, you can spend twice as much for a kite...

• Like 1

I like HQ Symphony kites myself. I have a 1.8 and 2.2 and my future son-in-law has a 1.4. Now, these aren't kites that can do tricks like the one you have. I like them because they pull hard in a strong wind and you can blast them across the sky and have a pretty good time. They are virtually indestructible.

The 'beach' series are good kites that will work well for you. I own the 'pro' line which are made a little better......a little heavier duty. If you get a 2.2 out in the 25 mph wind you will have a pretty good battle. If you step up to the 2.5, it will probably drag you down the beach. All of them through the 2.5 can be purchased for under $150. We got the 1.4 for about $40 IIRC

http://www.hq-kites-usa.com/products_invento_style.html

http://www.invento-hq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=54&Itemid=61

• 8 years later...