KiteLife Forum

Kite line sleeving

gotfish1

I have decided to use spectra 80# for my stunt kite line. Do I really have to pay $15 for a sleeving kit? Or can I get what I need somewhere else? I understand how to do it but would like recommendations regarding what size hollow dacron I'll need for the 80# spectra. Would also like to know what length spectra that 2 line kite flyers recommend. I'm guessing somewhere in the 80 to 100 foot range? Just want to be in the ballpark here.

Also, searches for this topic on the forum bring no results. Seems odd that this hasn’t been discussed before. Perhaps I’m not using the search function properly.

If you're making your own linesets - most use either 100# or 150# bridle line with the core removed. The 100# is the neatest, but untying knots can be tough going. The 150# is easy to untie, but can slide on some lines, making the loop collapse or "scrunch up". You don't "need" a sleeving kit if you can find a broken high "E" string. Fold it in half and enjoy making those sets!!

Spectra kite line -- yes. Spectra fishing line -- NO! Big difference in density of the weave. You can get away with using the fishing line, but you won't like it. Most dual-line kites come with line and handles if you buy new. Eighty to one-hundred pound and eighty to one-hundred feet is fine. Making your own lines? Sleeving is not absolutely necessary, but it does reduce wear and knot slippage, and makes setup and breakdown a bit easier.

High "E" guitar string as Wayne mentioned, makes pulling the Spectra through the Dacron a simple task.

• Like 2

From all I read, sleeving is not needed (I am a newbie as well). I though it was needed to avouid the lines from cutting the bridle, but was told no reason. Just make a loop, and a an extra loop at the end of the loop to make it easier to undo the lark know. You can see in the line management video of Barresi.

I played with the cheep Dyneema fishing line, and it socks. Tangles way easier than a real lineset (you can get a decent set for < $20 from China on eBay, with sleeves and winder). little under half price of the better stuff I can get here. I am doing fine with the chinese sets for now, and learning, they get tangled, torn slightly etc.

Also tried fishing line for my single line kites, as dacron is difficult to find here. Even 200 lbs fishing line, 8 braid not too good. Tangles more easy than my 100 lbs kite line. I do consider using this for a short set (10-15 meter) though, unless my good lines breaks first, and I need to shorten them up.

250 lbs kite Dyneema (yellowish color) is way way better. I pull the kite down, leave the line in the grass, sometimes in loops, no problem. Just wind up after breaking down the kite and walking back to the winder.

• Like 1

Kite lines are like the tires on your car, it's the part that connects you. If you have the wrong line it doesn't matter how well the kite flies, it still sucks. The difference is so night and day that really should be no discussion! There's a reason the right stuff costs extra,.... it was made for kite flying and there aren't that many of us, so naturally supply and demand kicks in.

Good lines are so important you need to find the right stuff even if it means delivering cookies to the embassy. Somebody you know or a friend of theirs, could get line sets sent your way. Hand carried directly to you, it won't be easy, but it's not illegal either! Somebody on your side of the big pond can help you, you need to find them and feel the difference. Right now you're trying to hill-climb with drag racing slicks. Your line is not doing the job. Good lines can even help-out a crappy kite!

A roll of 1000 feet of Skybond 100# is about a $125, and a roll of 1000 feet of 100# braided dacron is $50. These two items will work for about any sport kite or mid-sized SLK. Somebody could slip these two items into their luggage easily.

Uncomfortable with the embassy chasing? Try a local business association group or the tourism business enterprises in town. Somebody who travels routinely to the states and a "favor owed" is all you need. Call the press office at NATO, make an appointment for a military tour, (good excuse is a school project), when you finally sit down together, ask the guy if he can help. Don't waste your money on inferior products or try to blame your location. You gotta' WANT it

• Like 3

Paul is right on the connection thought - it is your only form or way of being part of the kite! While cheap lines might get you by, good quality line can make things much better!

Most good kite stores in the USA carry either LPG (Laser Pro Gold) or Shanti Speed and/or Skybond. All of them are purpose specific - Kiteline!! More specific - stunt kite line! It may be spendy, but it will last depending on how you treat it. As a beginner, you might get several years of use out of it. Some of my old dualie sets are a decade old. My Rev sets fall into 2 groups - frequently used or hardly used. Stuff that gets used seldom, again lasts for a long time. Sets that get used very often get replaced almost yearly. Note: I fly a lot of team flying, our 120' sets get used a majority of the time and need replacing almost every year. Solo flying, you get much more life out of them!!

Depending on your interests and expected usage, get good line, it pays for itself in the end!

• 4 weeks later...