KiteLife Forum

What's your next kite?

bookboy

Just ordered a Skyburner Ocius UL to go with my standard. Even got the matching sail pattern!

I'm a sucker for a matched set. I like to give the illusion that I'm flying the same kite in vastly different winds. Works a treat with the Revs.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Jeepin, check out the Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society. The W.A.C.K.O.S. Generally fly out of the Charlotte area pretty regularly. I'd link their website but seems I can't do that at this time, hmmm....

Or if you ever head to the Outer Banks, give me a shout and I'll see what my work schedule is. I love to meet and fly with new folks!

• Like 2

Some time back I mentioned that the Little Dreamer by Skydog was on my list as my next kite. Well, no longer. I got the Little Dreamer in the colors that match my Dream On. I have the train lines and intend to fly them as a stack. Hopefully in the near future, I'll have pictures to show.

Just have to kick this miserable summer cold and have good winds. But I am definitely not going to the beach on July 4th. It is entirely too crazy here with vacationers. It's not so much crowding at the beach as the traffic to get there.

• Like 2

Some time back I mentioned that the Little Dreamer by Skydog was on my list as my next kite. Well, no longer. I got the Little Dreamer in the colors that match my Dream On. I have the train lines and intend to fly them as a stack. Hopefully in the near future, I'll have pictures to show.

Just have to kick this miserable summer cold and have good winds. But I am definitely not going to the beach on July 4th. It is entirely too crazy here with vacationers. It's not so much crowding at the beach as the traffic to get there.

Looking forward to the pictures !

And yeah, the summer stinks at the beach if you like to fly kites. Well, kites with more than 1 line, that is...

My next kite is whatever I win in the lottery here.

No, not really. I ordered the Peter Lynn Uniq Play 1.0 meter span, and the Uniq Quad 1.5m2. Both new single skin kites, so waiting for the minions in China to finish them, and send them to PL -> dealers.

My next - next kite got here before my next kite. I ordered an UL Seven from SKD, but due to some unexpected postal issues :ani_wallbash: it's being delayed. So a few weeks ago I decided to invest in a better STD, seeing that I'm flying the Widow NG, and felt I outgrew it a little bit. I bought a 2nd hand Lam Hoac ATM STD, and last week it arrived! :ani_yahoo:

20150630_230341_SUPER.jpg

• Like 4

My first flight a couple of days ago was terrible. I couldn't control the kite, the wind was choppy, I couldn't perform any of the tricks I had already semi-mastered, and my favorite thing was gone - fade :(

I was so frustrated, I stayed up and watched every ATM video I could find, read every ATM related post, and nothing, except the mentioning that the fade is harder and needs more tending.

Today I got a chance for a second flight. :boxing: After flying around, taking it down, adjusting something, rinse and repeat, finally I decided to change the tow point. It was against my better judgment because I figured Lam must have set it to its best calibration. I had to untie a knot, and retie it farther up. And then... something changed. It wasn't perfect, so I untied it again and retied it closer to the original, an inch away. And then... Eureka! The Sweetspot! :clap;

Suddenly everything came back, just with smaller inputs than the one I'm use to on the Widow NG. Easy YoYo, Backspins, Half Axles, and even the Fade. Even stuff I could do: Half Axle Cascades, 540(!)

One things' for sure, this one LOVES the Turtle, so Lazy's and Multi were a snap.

Edit: couldn't get those flic flacks to go as I wanted, though...

Also the female LS kept coming off, anyone else experience that?

YDXJ0049-1.jpg

• Like 2

I've had spreaders coming out of the fittings Lam just said to put some tape around the end of the spar. Just took a minute and holds fine.

On your flic flacs: be careful in the flair (nose away) not to let the nose rise above the spine. If you do, some kites will want to slide toward you rather than rotate. Congrats on your progress with one very cool kite! :ani_punk:

• Like 1

You can try to angle the standoffs towards the center T to keep the spreaders together. That works with most kites, but some require more drastic measures like mentioned above, or a bungee 'keeper' that crosses the center T and attaches to both spreaders. Sometimes, and exaggerated input can pop the spreaders loose, like giving too big of a pop to an axel input.

• Like 1

On my GPS, both lower and upper spreaders popped out of the LE fittings after awhile. They stayed in the T pretty well, though. So the tape strategy was only meant for the LE fittings. Sure would like to try an ATM someday. They look great!

It's mostly an exaggerated pop that pulls it out of the T, like Rob said. I'll try putting a bit of tape on the inner ferrule connection, but Rob, how does that bungy thing work? Does it need to be glued or something to either side?

Dave you're invited to try my ATM out, it's only a 12 hour flight

Thank you kindly, Iftah.

What I've done is to cut some heavy-duty rubber bands from a bicycle inner-tube, and lark's head knot one of the bands to the right & left lower spreader. When you put them into the center T, the band crosses the center T, effectively holding either side towards the center. I hope that's clear, I'm having trouble finding a picture...

That is the most extreme solution, but I've had kites that needed that. Angling the standoffs towards the center T works on most kites, and tempering the inputs...

• Like 2

What I've done is to cut some heavy-duty rubber bands from a bicycle inner-tube, and lark's head knot one of the bands to the right & left lower spreader. When you put them into the center T, the band crosses the center T, effectively holding either side towards the center. I hope that's clear, I'm having trouble finding a picture...

That is the most extreme solution, but I've had kites that needed that. Angling the standoffs towards the center T works on most kites, and tempering the inputs...

I did this to all my competition kites back in the day... Still do whenever the T wants to pull apart... For outer fittings, I use black tape or a thin layer of shoe goo (dried) on the spar tips to tighten things up.