KiteLife Forum

Of White Kites & Snow...

RobB

Probably the last kiting in the snow video for this year, I made an update to the 'Snow Devil' video. The white kite isn't usually the first choice for snow flying, but since it was just about sunset when I got out to fly on this day, It would've been tough to see any of the other kites in my bag. It was a very low offshore wind that was also changing direction as the sun set. As always, the Sea Devil SUL made the most of the situation and provided the kiting fix that I was craving.

Full screen & HD helps, it got a little dark towards the end.

• Like 6

Great stuff Rob............as always :kewlpics:

That is some great flying and one of THE BEST dual-line videos I have ever watched. Actually watched all the way through, without skipping ahead!

Great video

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed ! Hopefully the video showed why low-wind flying is my favorite kind of flying. I wait for days like this most of the year...

:ani_victory:

Hey, I put together some clips that show the worst part of flying, made as easy as possible. A lot of my flying sessions are less than an hour, sometimes for my lunch break, sometimes on the way home from work. Setting up & breaking down have to be done as quickly as possible, I like to dedicate less than 5 minutes to that... so this is how I get the packing up done. Yes, I do cheat a little and leave my kites long...

• Like 3

Hey, I put together some clips that show the worst part of flying, made as easy as possible. A lot of my flying sessions are less than an hour, sometimes for my lunch break, sometimes on the way home from work. Setting up & breaking down have to be done as quickly as possible, I like to dedicate less than 5 minutes to that... so this is how I get the packing up done. Yes, I do cheat a little and leave my kites long...

THAT was actually very useful. Thanks. Now, next show us one with roll bars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll bars pack in just like long standoffs... I am looking to fly the Seven soon, or maybe the Gemini. Both of those have roll bars, so maybe I will catch the unpack/packing up of those...

Fw_snowbanks2.jpgAll I know is, snow is snow, and sometimes flying kites isn't part of snow, in my part of nys. In real life that is!

IDK, I've got a friend who's been flying up in Buffalo this winter. Footing gets a little tough when it gets that deep, though.

Fred, it's mostly in the big arm sweep, I don't really run that much. And always move forward when you're flying down, it helps to regain your spot on the field.

You can see my movements better in the video I posted last month, the winds were really low, about the same as the winds with the white kite in this post...

• Like 1

I would be so happy to fly with any of you Kitelifers, it is so rare that I get to fly with anyone. I have given some lessons, but mostly on quad line kites recently.

I got the most instruction from watching Martin's videos...

https://www.youtube.com/user/DPmama74/videos

But watching other's videos always offered a hint or a tip of how I could get some trick done. The main reason I started filming my flying was to try to figure out what I was doing wrong, and maybe how to fix it. I shared my 'what am I doing wrong' videos with others, and asked for their input, too. We had a great group going a few years back that had a bunch of newbies like me, some intermediate pilots, and some of the great pilots also chimed in from time to time. RandyG and Martin were among them. Unfortunately, the forum that had most of this important content went dead in 2009, and all of that good advice & instruction vanished into cyberspace.

Maybe we can get something like that going here ? I'm still trying to learn some tricks that have been eluding me, and would be happy to comment on other's videos.

• Like 5