KiteLife Forum

Karma - Wind Meter (3/31/15)

RobB

Who needs one of these ? Well, I wouldn't say 'need', but it's a fun thing to have in the bag. It kinda solves that little argument in your head about how hard it's blowin'. This is one of those things I wouldn't buy for myself, but was happy to get as a gift. The one I have has lasted for a long time, it's on it's third battery. The winner will get a meter just like the one in the video below, NIB (moderator's edit: This means "New In Box" in case you were wondering).

Good luck, the drawing is March 31st. 2015...(moderator's edit: enter using the phrase "I'm in")

Standard Karma Note from the Moderators

This is a Karma Drawing. The winner of the drawing is expected to pay it forward by offering their own prize for the next drawing. Please do not enter unless you are willing to offer your own prize, preferably not the prize you just won. Drawings should be open for entry approximately 2 weeks, and the next drawing should be posted as soon as possible to keep the Karma rolling.
These drawings are run by and for KiteLife members. The moderating team only ensures that your drawing post contains all of the pertinent information (drawing date/time, adequate prize description, drawing rules) before approval. If you are a KiteLife member from the US or Canada, you are eligible to enter. You do not have to be a paid subscriber.
Members from Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii are welcome to enter the Karma drawings provided they are willing to pay half of the Karma prize shipping cost. The method and timing of the payment will be agreed upon between the two parties after the drawing for a particular prize.

Here is the link to the original Rules and Guidelines thread:
http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5426-rules-and-guidelines-please-read/

The mechanism for the drawing itself is entirely at the discretion of the person offering the prize. In the past, entry number has been determined either by order of entry or by the post number in which the member declares entry into the drawing. The drawings have been performed using the RNG method (
http://www.random.org/sequences/) or by choosing the numbers out of a hat (I believe an adorable daughter did the picking in that scenario). The only requirement is that the method of selection is clearly spelled out in the drawing post.

Entry into the drawings is done by STARTING a post in the drawing thread with the entry phrase chosen by the drawing host (Traditionally "I'm in", but "I LIKE" has been used as well). In order to remove any confusion or misinterpretation, only entries with posts that START with the phrase will be considered. As with all other KiteLife drawings, bantering is encouraged. This is for fun after all.

Well, the new wind meter arrived today... ready to ship out to the lucky winner ! Looks like the odds are pretty good for those in the running so far... just a little over a week left to get 'IN' !

1- RevRookie

2- dragonfish
3- Fred van Curen
  • Like 3

Beginners and obsessive compulsive types like me really benefit from these. Helps to tune the neck hairs and the backs of the ears. When I'm flying a particular kite that really seems dialed in, I'll pull my anemometer out and see what the wind is doing so I know for next time.

• Like 1

Rob,

I see my congratulations post didn't go through last night, so I'm going to steal a post from your drawing, just to say....Awesome Win and Congratulations. I'm jealous as heck, but I have a grin on my face cause I'm glad to see that you won!!!

Also, I will step away from your drawing, not because of the prize which is a great prize....how do I know that? I have one and I do use it. When you live in the land of tiny puffs of air once in awhile, a wind meter is a good thing.

Good Luck All!!!

mtgrizzly52

• Like 1

I'm in too. Like Rob said, not really something I'd buy for myself. After all, I've been flying for several years without one. But it would definitely be cool to win one. Would definitely help me calibrate my descriptions of wind speed to others. Thanks for the offering Rob.

• Like 1

My wife got this exact meter as an early birthday present and I got it today. I have been measuring pretty much everything.

One nifty thing is it has a backlight that can be activated for a short time for those "after dark" activities...

BTW, it was 5-27km/h at my park at 4:15am this morning. Gotta love an Easterly ripping done a hillside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginners and obsessive compulsive types like me really benefit from these. Helps to tune the neck hairs and the backs of the ears. When I'm flying a particular kite that really seems dialed in, I'll pull my anemometer out and see what the wind is doing so I know for next time.

Yes, I agree strongly, this Wind Meter will help to dial in your senses, confirm your guess, etc. Mine is always in my bag, but rarely gets used these days. I do pull it out once in a while to settle that little argument in my head... Other than using it to measure windspeed while you're flying, it's fun to find out how hard you can blow, or to hold it out the window of a moving car... or super fun to take to the beach during a bad storm. The best I ever recorded with mine was 47mph. If the wind's higher than that, the beach isn't really a good place to be !

I've heard a lot of people asking about them, but didn't realize most people actually had them. Good for the people who are 'IN', and I appologize to the rest of you Karma fans for not having a better idea this time.

IMG_9249.jpgMy meter on top of the Karma Meter... mine is about 5 years old, hard to tell even though it's had a rough life rolled up in a bag full of sand. I kept the protective plastic on the screen, I think that helped. When the battery dies, RadioShack has new ones for a couple of bucks...

And... drumroll... the winner is...

KarmaDrawingWindMeter.jpg

Congratulations, Joanna ! I know you'll use this... Enjoy !

• Like 1