KiteLife Forum

Best kite for young kids?

tom356

To be blunt, the physics don't change for the age of the flier. A sail on a boat is still gonna push the boat no matter who controls the lines. It's the type if kite you fly that makes the difference

If you're looking for a bare bones entry level sport kite, SkyDog kites has some low cost kites. Also, you can get a Prism 1.2 foil made for zooming fun, that has very little pull , but is almost impossible to break. An entry level dual line sport kite isn't going to do any tricks....easily.

There are plenty of single line kites (SLK) that are cheap, but good (Premier Kites, HQ kites, Prism, etc.), but I don't think that would hold their attention for long.

• Like 1

Respecting what others have said about the kids getting bored with the single line kite (SLK), I'd suggest both a single line kite and a dual line. The kids are young and if they can't get the knack of the dual line right away, they may get frustrated and lose interest in kiting altogether. Anyone can fly a single line kite.....you can actually stake it to the ground and let it fly itself.

• Like 1

First of all, welcome to the forum, Tom. Good to have you here.

Get them single line deltas with tails at a kite store -- don't get the $5 junk at your local _____-mart, you fill in the blank. Spend $20 - $30 per kite and you and the kids will have fun for the whole summer. Get yourself a foil or a stunt delta; spend $50 - $80 and you will have some major fun. Read the instructions and take them with you; it will be the difference between an afternoon of fun or an afternoon of frustration. We all started where you are right now, so any questions you have can and will be answered here.

• Like 1

My 2 eldest kids started on a 1.4 meter square foil at 5 years old and essentially flew it after a couple of minutes instruction. The only times I had to help them was to restart it when it "fell" out of the sky during a lull. My daughter started flying revs at 8 and can fly but isn't interested in tricks. All 3 kids (3,6 and 9 now) will fly a SLK for a while, giving slack and making it dance.

Start off with a "best flyer" single line and get a small foil dual line too. As they learn to crash less, go on to a stick framed kite.

I try to fly as a family, which can be frustrating at times but ultimately very rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would recommend a delta easy-flier single line for the 5 year old. They have lots of kid-friendly pictures and almost self-launch. Don't get them from Wally World or K-Mart or a beach store. Those cheaper models don't always fly well. A kite store or online will have a ready-to-fly delta for about $25 to $30 and it will last years.

A smaller foil is a good idea for the 7 year old. He/she would probably become bored with a single line kite. Also a foil doesn't have spars to break when they crash. You will get your exercise re-launching but that's half the fun.

Welcome to the forum. And have fun.

My kids really liked the Ghost Deltas, they're super easy to fly. They're big enough to be impressive for the kids, too.

P1090090.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

Really, If the kite isn't so big that it lifts the kid off the ground, they'll love to fly it !

My 7 y.o. boy loved the Mickey kite with tail he got. Especially in light wind where he could walk 10 paces and it would be at the top, then slowly going down, and the $5 eagle from china for low wind kite.

But he really loves my $10 cheap parafoil 200x70 cm (1.4 square meters). After I changed the nylon lines the Spectra/Dynema 100 lb fishing line, it got much better.

Here is my session from yesterday after replacing the lines:

https://youtu.be/D1Yfb1Q6Vis

I suggest you get some small foil around 1.4 m2. Preferable better than the cheap one I got. And straps for holding.

Thank you for all your help..

I have seen many young kids try to fly with no luck, maybe most of the time its not windy enough..

At that young age just holding a string with a high flying kite is fun..

If you go duel line I'd suggest something like the HQ 1.3 Symphony Beach for a foil - flies easily, nothing to break and doesn't pull too hard - also comes with a neat bag and decent lineset. OR for a framed kite the HQ Bebop - again easy to fly, hard to break, lots of bright colours for kids, and a decent lineset. Either will probably cost you around $30 or so and will last for years.

$_35.JPG

hq-bebop-pic7.jpg

I'd recommend putting the kites in the trunk of your car. That way, when you're out with the kids and the wind is right to can stop anytime to fly.

Always carrying some kites with me "just in case". While most of my flying sessions are planned & involve fancy boutique kites these days, a few of my most fun have been serendipitous with my older reliable tougher kites. In my boot today are a Quantum, a Zephyr, a Micron, a Zero G, and the Alien. Also have the Snapshot 1.2 and of course my beloved little 4D. Hmm, all Prism kites & most wind conditions covered. Additionally there are a good selection of line sets, several kites stakes & a long tube tail. That reminds me, I need to throw the 1.5 SLE Rev back in the mix. If I add the Snapshot 2.5 quad set up it will cover the power surges. And all this will fit in the MLD 40" bag too. I'll do that this morning, maybe the wind and a new flier are waiting for me to show up today. SHBKF

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you go duel line I'd suggest something like the HQ 1.3 Symphony Beach for a foil - flies easily, nothing to break and doesn't pull too hard - also comes with a neat bag and decent lineset. OR for a framed kite the HQ Bebop - again easy to fly, hard to break, lots of bright colours for kids, and a decent lineset. Either will probably cost you around $30 or so and will last for years.

$_35.JPG

hq-bebop-pic7.jpg

Got my two older kids (7 and 5 at the time) the HQ Bebop last summer. They were able to fly them in the steadier winds at the beach. Where we live (inland) the winds are not as steady and I spend most of the time helping them re-launch. It's a little frustrating for them, so I don't push it unless the winds ramp up. I like the idea of tails to keep their attention, I will have to pick up some.

My son really enjoys the Snapshot 1.2... It's a good size for him, and he loves to do the high speed Death Dive trick into the ground... a glorious 'whump' sound, and he flies away...

This was his most recent outing with it at Wildwood this year...

post-786-0-06641800-1435193753_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My son really enjoys the Snapshot 1.2... It's a good size for him, and he loves to do the high speed Death Dive trick into the ground... a glorious 'whump' sound, and he flies away...

This was his most recent outing with it at Wildwood this year...

There is something cathartic about a big whump without worry of damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Peter Lynn Uniq Play was just introduced to the market. I have a 1.5 meter on order, might be too big, as it supposedly generates 40-50% more pull than equivalent foils. But it is a single skin kite that you can fly into the ground without worry of damage or blown cells. Will compare it the the Symphony 1.3 / 2.2 when it arrives at my dealer.