KiteLife Forum

Airline travel with dual line kite

deerislandbrew

I am flying to San Diego this April. I'm hoping to get away with bringing my Prism Hypnotist stunt kite as carry on. I know it is oversize for the overhead stowage on the plane. I was thinking that I could just keep it in the seat with me during flight. Does anyone have experience in this situation? If I am not allowed to do a carry on with this kite, I would consider a travel kite small enough to pack in my suitcase. In that case are there any suggestions on a kite that would at least do basic slack line tricks with out to much difficulty? Thanks!

• Like 1

I've used a document tube, also known as a poster tube in academic circles. The kind that people use to bring their posters to conferences if you're familiar with that. It fits in the over head bin of a plane. I'm guessing the airline people are also used to seeing those containers, so they won't even know you have a kite inside. Mine is adjustable, set to about 36" long to fit my kites folded down all the way, diameter around 4", so length+width+height comes out under 45". Some airlines say l+w+h < 45" is allowed as carry on, in addition to the specific l, w, h measurements, although I seem to have a harder and harder time finding ones that explicitly say the 45". Haven't had problems with the poster tube. Even had a flight attendant ask if I wanted to put it in the coat closet as I was boarding. I said sure, why not.

Not sure what length the Prism is broken down.

We use a 4" plastic Alvin document tube to transport a few Revs or a larger 5" Sage fishing rod case for more kites. The Alvin tube is inexpensive and will give good protection in the overhead bin. The Sage is WAY more serious, and a few more $$$, but very well made and nothing will damage your kites with these tubes!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've also traveled with a Quantum. As I passed through security, I got the ruff "is that a pool cue!? Cuz you can't have a pool cue!" I said it was a kite and walked right by. I actually also had the bigger prism snapshot with me too. My lap was full of kites but is was only a few hour ride.

• Like 1

I've also traveled with a Quantum. As I passed through security, I got the ruff "is that a pool cue!? Cuz you can't have a pool cue!" I said it was a kite and walked right by. I actually also had the bigger prism snapshot with me too. My lap was full of kites but is was only a few hour ride.

Ugh. What we don't do for our kit...family. Family. Yeah.

• Like 1

Thanks,

I bought a light weight PVC tube with end caps. 36"L x 4" with end caps. I'm hoping that I can carry on a small suitcase plus the tube for kites and put them up in the overhead. I usually travel with a suitcase up in the overhead and a back pack camera bag in the seat (under the seat during flight.) It would be one suitcase and one personal item. Hope it flies!

One more thought. I believe the OP said he also acquired a Rev. If the 2 kites don't fit in the tube together, take the frame out of the Rev, put the frame in the tube, and fold/roll up the sail smaller and put it somewhere else (like in your suitcase). Get more kite for the space. :) I got 1 dualie, 4 Rev frames, 1 SLK, and a medium-sized indoor glider in my 4 1/2 in diameter tube if I remember correctly. That's a lot of kites for the space. Good luck.

• Like 2