KiteLife Forum

You might be a kite nut.

SHBKF

15 hours ago, ACrop said:

practicing kite moves (indoor going backwards of course)

Thank you for the traction (?) to go public as an indoor kite owner. I think acquisition/possession/use of one in itself, qualifies a sufficient condition for “kite nuttiness”. I don’t qualify for the coolness of a self made QLK yet however. I recently got it and unfortunately have no good indoor place to use it. Instead I can walk to a small nearby forest surrounded field during low wind evenings etc…

revIndoor2.jpg

The image is from the first, recent and only test. Felt a bit hurried maintaining the line tension, but had a nice “kite is all around me” feeling (Troggs music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7BdyNAwBk4 ).

• Like 1

After extensive self reflection, I've come to the conclusion I'm offended by this topic.. Specifically the word "might"

Agreed! "Might" is nowhere close.

That's like saying Eli Russell "might" like food

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Could be when you pass along kites to get another. Then you want the ones you let go back.

Hmm… I’ve never parted with a kite – want to be able to go back to them and see what they can do when you have learnt more. In the other end, to set a pace for the acquisitions I have my wife to explain the purchases to and also that I want to get to know the new kite well. Unless there is a good reason for it, not having caused wear on a new kite within half a year or so I see as a failure and possibly even a shameful one. Having (Had? - Working on it) typically one session, possibly two, sessions per week also limits acquisitions when having use as a requirement. But it is painful to sometimes watch a kite model you want to get obsolete and disappear from the kite shops. And yes, I believe that having a kite purchase strategy/pattern could also mean that “You might be a kite nut” (which is far from unique in this Forum…). Good luck @Breezin with getting them (the models) back!

Yeah strategy has had some adjustments. Couple kites showed up seemingly all on their own.Fortunate enough to fly most days. The drawback is not a disciplined strategy on trick learning that others acquire by having less time on the lines. My bad but it does make for some wild and crazy fun flying 😹. Winds hitting 32 kph +.Close to 2 hours of that on a vented and needed a break before something broke. Seem to break things more often when getting fatigued.Imagine that. Seem to care less and less about the repairs as time goes on. That's probably a little nuts too. Fly it, break it, fix it and fly it again.

You might be a kite nut if...

You walk into a restaurant to have dinner with friends only to yelp in pain as you sit down, then sheepishly remove a ground stake from your back pocket and put it on the table like some kind of strange eating utensil.

• Like 4

My sincere apologies and regrets to those of you trying to contain your kite accumulating  jitters. Flew right on past nuts and now approaching kite  IMG_20180706_130926830_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg 🤪. Next kite should be here by Tues. Dipping into my Super Fly fund pretty hard. 

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with:.

"And yes, I believe that having a kite purchase strategy/pattern could also mean that “You might be a kite nut” (which is far from unique in this Forum…)."

As well as if you have ever listed off more than 5 kites you have in mind for your next one without having to stop and think much about it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

1 hour ago, ACrop said:

Absolutely agree with:.

"And yes, I believe that having a kite purchase strategy/pattern could also mean that “You might be a kite nut” (which is far from unique in this Forum…)."

As well as if you have ever listed off more than 5 kites you have in mind for your next one without having to stop and think much about it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

HMM, Let's See ...  Djinn, Djinn, Shook, Shook, Djinn, Djinn, and depending on venting options, Djinn

• Like 2

..... admiring someone else's quad-lined kite, when you have 60+ of 'em already in the vehicle!

..... when the spouse gets the phone call for cool new kite stuff immediately available, instead of you ('cause you're on an allowance, even the vendor knows that (w/o her head nod nothing is happening, so why involve me first, or at all?)

.... kite building vendors call you for specific & scarce fabric colors they can't find anywhere else

.... you look for wind movement everywhere you go, knowing that something in your bag is appropriate when the flying opportunity presents itself

... when the wife asks you about the two kites she has already approved for purchase and you haven't  gotten around to ordering them yet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

... when the wife asks you about the two kites she has already approved for purchase and you haven't  gotten around to ordering them yet!

That is over the TOP nutty  !! Can't even imagine being that far out there. Shudder, quiver,shake 👽

On 7/2/2018 at 12:12 PM, John Barresi said:

You might be a kite nut if...

You walk into a restaurant to have dinner with friends only to yelp in pain as you sit down, then sheepishly remove a ground stake from your back pocket and put it on the table like some kind of strange eating utensil.

if you don't think that's strange at all.. A Golf Ball stake will definitely crack Snow Crab.. :)