KiteLife Forum

Influential flyers

Dave362

Most of us have been influenced by other kite flyers in one way or another. I'm just curious who may have had an impact on your flying and why?

For me a big influence was Andy Wardley. That summer (2004 I think) when he made a video a week, mostly with his Benson Gemini, working through different combos like the Duplex, had a profound influence on my approach to kiting. Everything he did seemed about newness and discovery. Now of course, its pretty unlikely to stumble upon something entirely new, but Andy always tried to come at his flying in his own way. That's always stuck with me. So how about you?

• Like 1

Andy Wardley's Stoked in the Park (Google that if you haven't seen them) videos were a big inspiration to me, too. When they were new and I was watching them in awe, I told myself that I really wanted to learn how to fly like that, even if it took the rest of my life !

Around that time, I picked up a Dodd Gross kite that came packaged with his Flight School video. I think I just about wore that video out, I played it so many times. It was an awesome moment in my KiteLife a few years ago, I got to hang out with him in person and fly kites with him for an afternoon. I would say I learned most of the basic tricks from his video(s).

Another big influence were Mama74 flight studies videos. Search for DPmama74 on uToob... He makes it look so easy !

And of course, JB's Sea Devil promo videos convinced me that I needed to get a Sea Devil (or 3) and learn to fly like that. I think you can find that video right here in the video archives.

I really watched just about every kite video I could find to see how others were flying & maybe pick up some tips for myself. I so rarely run into others that fly sport kites, videos are probably 99% of my exposure to kiting.

• Like 3

Long story short:

early on - Bruce Martin - Fellow flier I met every year down at the Lincoln City OR kite festivals. Always pushed me to try new stuff on the dualies I flew back then.

quads - JB with an assist to Katrina Bruland (Null). JB for encouraging me to overcome my physical issues and really relearn to fly again. And Katrina for pushing me into learning how to fly team, (she is now my team's caller)! If I'm a little Rev heavy, you know who to blame!!!

indoor - Amy and Connor Doran, with help from a host of others, including JB! Amy invited me to my first indoor festival, set up a glider (Skate), and let me use it all day! Then she and a friend (Theresa from TKS) got me to fly in the "mystery ballet" !! That was the bait, and when she let me try an Indoor Rev, match made in heaven!!!! John gets the assist, because at the time I was learning, his series of indoor tutorials were coming out. I broke them down into just studying hand position or footwork, before combining the whole into a complete unit.

Then there is the whole kite community that supports and helps any and all that need it!! I salute you!!

• Like 1