KiteLife Forum

April is Kite Month ! 2015...

RobB

I don't know who declared April as Kite Month, but I'm more than happy to go along with it. Not too hot, not too cold... and plenty of wind ! The last few years have brought some great flying in April, let's hope this year follows suit. I'd like to kick this thread off with my first flight of Kite Month, April 3rd...

IMG_7582.jpg

When I got to the beach, it was a little wet & grey. Not too sure if there's going to be any flying today...

IMG_7613.jpg

Luckily, the rain & mist let up, and I was able to get a quick session in before it got too dark & the rain started up again.

IMG_7600.jpg

I've been working a little on my one-handed flying. I still get really uncomfortable if the kite gets too high up, but I can keep it off the ground for a little longer without crashing now.

I'd like to invite the rest of you to post your Kite Month activities, it will be really interesting to see what you all are up to !

• Like 3

Dave, that's exactly how I started. After a few months of trying, I got maybe 10 feet off the ground before I panic & land. I know others here can fly one handed, it must have taken A LOT of practice !

When I try one-handed I like to start with the kite at least 1/2-way up the window. I don't like sudden, unexpected landings. I've been trying it more frequently the last five or six times. It's not working well for me so far, plus I have very small hands, which doesn't help.

I am also practicing it with both hands so that maybe someday I can fly two at the same time. It's going to take a LOT of practice!!!!!

Going out to fly tomorrow. I will try to remember to take some pictures and post them here for Kite Month.

• Like 1

I like to start my one handed attempts high too. Try putting the kite at the top of the wind window where it will kind of just sit there. Then put both handles in one hand. I find one handed launches quite difficult, especially in lighter winds. Now, trying to fly one handed while tracking the kite through the camera screen is hard for me.

Thanks for the tips, really helpful stuff! :)

I so appreciate the level of Rev flyers in evidence at this site. I've just gotta keep at it.

I've got a new kite from Lam coming this week. I'll for sure get out and get some pictures of it for this thread. I really enjoy threads like this, that invite participation. Nice goin' Rob!

Well, the first weekend of Kite Month is over. Even though we had a dreary day, my family went out to have our annual Easter Kite Fly. The winds swirled around (a full 360* wind shift while we were there) and ranged from nothing to over 20mph. A little rain and a lot of grey...

IMG_7868.jpg

Only one Ghost Delta came out to fly today, it's the first time that I've seen this kite unhappy with the winds...

IMG_7881.jpg

My daughter likes flying this little kite, it doesn't pull too hard & stays stapled to the sky !

IMG_7890.jpgThe Mesh Delta sporting a long tail to help it deal with the winds...

IMG_7840.jpgThis kite needed some air, it's been hanging in our house for over a decade and never been flown once. Had to blow the dust off, and it did its best with its neon colors to brighten the grey sky !

IMG_7861.jpg

Off-Shore wind at this point...

• Like 4

i agree, What a beast!!!!!

Looks like everyone had a great day. i managed to get out for a couple of hours. I only took one kite, my beloved Nirvana, so I would spend my time flying, not fiddling. Just practiced basics; ground passes to half axel, repeat at other side... Worked on a bunch of basic tricks, just trying to get my touch back. gettng better, but I'm still beating the kite up at times. Anyway, great way to spend the day!

post-8492-0-14834000-1428271590_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Out flying today with Bill Meier and Steve Anderson at Busse Woods. Wanted to get pictures of the Red/White on Black spiro, but the wind stayed at full-vent all day, so here's a pic of my Phantom.

post-7138-0-08465100-1428282611_thumb.jppost-7138-0-86363300-1428282631_thumb.jp

Edit: by the way, that's a 4-wrap frame! Photos courtesy of Bill Meier (basicbill).

• Like 2

The winds weren't as great as advertised, but there was still something to get some color into the air....

IMG_7957.jpg

My youngest really enjoys flying the SLKs... bigger the better for her ! I want to fly the BIG one, she says...

IMG_7967.jpg

The 'BIG' one was the 11' Mesh Delta today. It came out of the sky a few times, but can hang in a surprisingly light breeze, considering it's half holes !

IMG_7953.jpg

My boy had his turn flying the Mesh Delta. He also had some quad line training with the Zen. No solo quad line flying yet, but getting there...

IMG_7930.jpg

The Mesh Delta & KL Ghost Delta made the most out of the iffy winds...

IMG_7894.jpg

The Mesh Delta & the Zen wait out a lull. The wind was having a hard time deciding if it would blow off the water, or off the land. But all in all, a good day. It feels good to get some sun finally, and 60* temps feel like a vacation in the tropics !

• Like 4