KiteLife Forum

What trick are you going to work on next?

Dave362

I'm going to work on snap stalls. I want to practice getting the kite to stall with the nose straight vertical and then let it settle a bit, holding the wings level before flying off. Also, I want to practice half axels on the edge andd then fly off to the other side and repeat. I want to try to keep the nose from wobbling when I power up and also keep my line straight when flying to the other edge. How about you?

• Like 2

Tip stab is my #1 favorite, especially repeated several times (showing ownership). :)

I don't own many tricks but I do like to repeat them so the casual observer can perceive they are not mistakes. One of my best kite moments was when a lady asked me if I was finally starting to get the hang of it after I had been repeatedly flying in & out of my favorite beach trash can.

• Like 4

I think a tip stab could be considered a vertical half-axel. While you're working on the tip-stab, make your approach at 45* instead of 90*. It makes the transition a little less critical. Also, use an imaginary line about 5 feet above the ground for practice. I learned 2 point landings at the same time, they're similar. Don't forget to be ready to lunge forward as the kite hits...

You might be able to see that it's important to add some speed to the kite as you're headed down, it helps to have more speed to make the move work at the end. I know it's counterintuitive to speed up as you're headed straight at the ground, but it helps to stall the kite at the end.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips guys. I've always thought the tip stab demonstrates such control to the observer. Maybe this is the season I'll learn the tip stab! :)

Can't help but notice what a helpful, friendly place this is. So what tricks would you like to focus on this season?

Tip stabs?? Yep, pretty move, but if you're gonna learn them, be prepared to replace some lower LE rods!! Can be tough on your kite unless you start trying them "in the air" first, to get the motions down, before doing it at ground level! :ani_idea:

• Like 1

I'm rigorously trying to learn both the multi-lazies, and the backspins. Getting to be very frustrating, but I did catch a break when I was able to perform several separate lazy Susans. It's so frustrating to see Mama74 perform those so effortlessly

Almost never gonna get a perfect unwind, but if you watch and follow John's tutorial on line management, you'll get pretty close!!

I started out winding one pair over the other and taking twice as long as others to setup or breakdown. One day John and I were kidding about my method, and he got me to at least try his way. So I started with my shortest set - 30". I figured that if it became too much of a mess, at that length it wasn't going to be too much to untangle. Success!! So I tried 50', then 80', and finally 120'. If you do it EVERYTIME, exactly the same, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Most birdsnests/tangles are caused by varying the method he describes. I do make a few changes to his overall method, but they are more personal quirks, than trying to change his ideas. My secret is doing it exactly the same way - everytime. no changes. And no one else winds up my lines either, if they are a problem, I want it to be me responsible, no one else!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still trying to master holding a fade. Also working on various fade entries (e.g. flare to fade, axle to fade...). Something about the axle to fade I just find so cool. Plus I think once I can properly hold a fade I will be able to move on to other tricks that start there.

• 3 weeks later...

Snap stall.

Side Slide.

But recently it dawned on me that I should just learn to better "fly the stall" or "fly the slack" or whatever you might call it. E.g. "backing it down" to a landing, or just keeping it stalled/slack and right-side-up. There is a sort of "reversal of control" that seems to happen in the stalled mode that I haven't quite mastered, So I am spending a lot of time just doing that.

(Premier Widow)

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

Going for the Slot Machine next. I figure after I have the 540 down, I can go for the Slot. At least according to Dodd Gross, that puts the two on the same level. Anyway, now I'm neck deep in the 540, and the Cascades. And the double roll up, and Cynique. My brain likes multitasking..

Thank you kindly, Iftah.

I gave up on dual line kites years ago, but always enjoyed watching what they can do. I can remember I was amazed by seeing by typing in Clover Point Silver Fox and watching a video over and over, to the Rolling Stones no less! Got into revs after knowing my body couldn't do those harsh movements.

Even the quad line type stuff, my hands lost the feeling of different fingers, every time I try to use my fingers as index=forward, middle=neutral, ring=reverse the handle is gone and I do the walk of shame. I've talked about wrist straps for the handles as to not lose them. But a good grip on them makes me not drop a handle.

Anyways, the trick I've been doing, trick? what's a trick? is it a trick? It's just a thing I'm trying to complete with my 4line kite/s.

I've been driving the left side of the kite from high overhead up and over, slackline/dropping the kite, through the right top and right bottom lines, then bringing the kite back up through and undoing the tangle I made. I don't see videos of whatever it could be called. Must be something that shouldn't be done with a kite?

Because I'm stronger at the top left to right, I'm not handling the going to the top from the right to left driving the kite back through to untangle, but that's something I'm working on/playing around with.

No David Copperfield here! Just playing with my kite.

• Like 2

I gave up on dual line kites years ago, but always enjoyed watching what they can do. I can remember I was amazed by seeing by typing in Clover Point Silver Fox and watching a video over and over, to the Rolling Stones no less!

Hey, I know that video. :)

• Like 3

What I'm talkin bout!! It got me started! I Love that video! But I'm sure a neighbor down in Erie PA got someone else started! I remember getting into revs after that video, and because of it, I'm still playing the part of a kid!

But! in tricks, and working on next, is there anyone driving their revs in and out of their linesets yet? Or is that not a trick, but just something stupid that one person might be doing? To me making the Statue of Liberty disappear by david copperfield is a trick/illusion. So really, what is a kite TRICK? I enjoy what I do, it's my old age kickin' in. I want to see someone drive a rev in and out of their line sets. I can drive in but I can't drive out. I don't mind the walk of shame, if you can call it that! I love the walk of shame more than most, I tried!

• Like 1

What I'm talkin bout!! It got me started! I Love that video! But I'm sure a neighbor down in Erie PA got someone else started! I remember getting into revs after that video, and because of it, I'm still playing the part of a kid!

But! in tricks, and working on next, is there anyone driving their revs in and out of their linesets yet? Or is that not a trick, but just something stupid that one person might be doing? To me making the Statue of Liberty disappear by david copperfield is a trick/illusion. So really, what is a kite TRICK? I enjoy what I do, it's my old age kickin' in. I want to see someone drive a rev in and out of their line sets. I can drive in but I can't drive out. I don't mind the walk of shame, if you can call it that! I love the walk of shame more than most, I tried!

Do you mean someone else's lines or through your own?