KiteLife Forum

Gently Used Rev Zen For Sale

Did you really give it a chance?? Many people I've chatted with, call it "different" or something. I don't know about anyone else, but I probably fly mine more than the average flier. But my first Rev was a big wing too, the Rev1. I was already used to the way it felt, pretty much. Wish I had some disposable income, I'd gladly have taken it off your hands.

PS: I already use 15" handles with mine!!

• Like 2

I just ordered a 3rd customized Zen so sorry, wish I would have waited to help you out sir. You can CHANGE how your Zen flies for less than 65 dollars though, unless you are getting out of Revs entirely (call the Shooks at Flying Smiles Kites)

• Like 2

Oh my...hush Paul. I could use a Zen.

I can testify to the changes in the Zen, brought to my attention by Paul. I now have a love affair with a kite I do not own.. ....sigh

If by chance my current status changes and the kite AND handles are available still..I will message.

• Like 2

Did you really give it a chance?? Many people I've chatted with, call it "different" or something. I don't know about anyone else, but I probably fly mine more than the average flier. But my first Rev was a big wing too, the Rev1. I was already used to the way it felt, pretty much. Wish I had some disposable income, I'd gladly have taken it off your hands.

Wayne, thanks so much for the inspiration. I just can't get the hang of it unless there is a steady light breeze. I got it in hopes to be able to fly in the lower range but if there is 0-4 or 5 I just can't keep it flying. I am also trying to do this without anyone's help out in the field. I did watch the videos but I still have bad luck every time. I tried different handles, line-sets, etc. still the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're not using enough brake. In 2mph the Zen is outstanding! And if the wind is smooth, wow!!! Talk to us about the setup you use for it, and specifically what problems you're having with it. I already have a Zen, but I'm tempted to get another. I don't know what your skill level is, but if you can fly a standard 1.5 in 4mph wind, the Zen in 2mph should be a piece of cake. It would be a shame to get rid of it just because you're not ready for it.

Watch some of the John Barresi videos and check out what it can do in very low wind before you let it get away.

here's what I want you to do.....

1. drop the line attachment points (at the kite's end of the flying lines) onto a well-placed stake or a fence post with each line separate and loose back to the handles. You should now be able to yank those handles backwards, lines tight and insure they align perfectly,.. if not adjust until they do so.

2. now you attach the kite to the lines, with the leading edge resting on the ground. BACK-up inverted. Try a slight movement (tiny) of your hands as you slowly walk backwards. Less is more, no sudden movements, but a smooth or so silky smooth application of power is called for.

if the kite will not back up, then the leaders/line lengths need adjusting until it will do so. You need the sail "square to the wind" for maximum pressure. If you keep adding more and more forward drive, you're actually just dumping the air pressure off of the trailing edge. ADD brake (shorten the bottoms or lengthen the tops, or both!)

3. practice backing-up to shoulder height, remain stationary and then re-landing ever so gently,... the whole time inverted. Do that 1/2 a dozen times and then double your altitude goal and try again. This will get boring, so jack around for awhile and then come back to it. Eventually you will be able to back-up to the top of the window like it was on railroad tracks. steady, smooth & even speed, laser straight. This will take hundreds of hours to perfect, making it look effortless besides longer still.

soon no-wind will be your preference rather than the curse of mother nature

If all the lines are equal length, how will I be able "yank the handles backwards" if they are attached to a single point? Also, the problem I'm having is the kite just stalls after launching. I'm fighting the kite the whole time. People just look at me and say I need more wind! Lol

Wayne, thanks so much for the inspiration. I just can't get the hang of it unless there is a steady light breeze. I got it in hopes to be able to fly in the lower range but if there is 0-4 or 5 I just can't keep it flying. I am also trying to do this without anyone's help out in the field. I did watch the videos but I still have bad luck every time. I tried different handles, line-sets, etc. still the same results.

Hey NS...

I had the same disappointing experience the first time I flew my Zen. I thought that it would be able to fly in lower winds than my 1.5. Or at least easier in low winds. The kind folks here made some helpful suggestions, and it helped to make my attitude more positive towards the Zen. It didn't make it any easier to fly in low winds, but I still haven't gotten the magical 'hybrid' leading edge. I've flown my Zen probably 5 more times since, and just fly it with reduced expectations. I need at least 2mph of smooth wind to fly it, and have found that 4+mph it really comes into it's own. I like the slow motion flight, much different than a 1.5, and try not to give it too much input.

Even though I have an open offer to trade the Zen for an Extra Vent (or even a full vent at this point), I'm still not too disappointed that no one has taken me up on that. It's nice to have the Zen in the bag to fly once in a while, but I wish I had gotten the all white one like yours.

• Like 1

you are testing the handles' alignment under tension,.... that's the purpose. The flying line loops aren't affixed to the kite until the handles align perfectly when pulled tightly against a fixed object. The kite stalls because you have jerked it out of the air with sudden flailing actions. You need a smooth application of energy and lots of reverse tuning to keep the kite sail filled with air pressure.

Any chance you can join up with other rev pilots in your area? Don't sell your Zen, it's the miracle worker for no wind and pretty effortless flight (you can NOT stand stationary and make it dance though)

• 4 months later...